Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

D5 paint, water based ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Bramble rash Rolling Eyes ...christ, when I think of my first D3 it was worse that this.... Ken spent a whole day mopping it before I handed it back. The darker the paint the softer it is ....but for this guy to think it's D5 specific just demonstrates his naivety.

Post #195546719th Jun 2018 9:43 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Looks like our Jag did when SWMBO drove it through a hedge! A couple of hours with a polisher and it was like new. Since then had the paint Supaguarded and it does make the surface much more durable.

Post #195547119th Jun 2018 10:00 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
.....The darker the paint the softer it is .....

Wrong

Post #19613328th Jul 2018 4:39 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Best tell the paint shop then Laughing

Post #19613398th Jul 2018 5:05 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The black MY2016 Landmark I have has the worst paint than any of the previous D4's I've had, I've never had a car scratch as easily as this one. Evil or Very Mad
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #19613518th Jul 2018 5:28 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Don't need to.

Actually you could be 'sort of' partially correct but only within the parameters of a range. Some manufacturers are traditionally recognised as being 'harder' (German companies particularly) and some 'softer' (a lot of the Japanese companies). JLR, and some others like Aston, Bentley, Lotus, Rolls, etc, are 'in the middle'.

Hardness, measured by Moh's scale of mineral hardness (talcum powder being 1h and diamond 10h) sees 'carbon black' (a compound often used for black paint pigment) measuring 2h and titanium dioxide (often used in white paint pigment) measuring 7h. However that doesn't mean white paint is 7 x 'harder' than black as it is only one, small, element of a paint mix and those compounds are not the only one's used to determine those two specific colours.

A 'hard paint' manufacturer of grey paint could be harder than a 'soft paint' manufacturer of black paint for example. Paints using natural, organic, compositions, as opposed to man-made synthetic compounds (which modern paints generally are) don't conform to a 'darkness equals.....' range of hardness.

Hardness is generally not from the primer or the colour layer but from the clear-coat (although even these are now starting to get 'tints' applied to them and that makes up a greater percentage of the paint thickness, and thus, 'protective layer that you see 'scratched'.

Car paint is generally in the range of 65 up to maybe 200 microns (primer 10-40 microns, 'colour' 15-40 microns and clear-coat 40-120 microns). You can probably guess who applies it thin and who is thicker from some of the manufacturer badges and cost of the end product but not always.

A 'typical' rotary polish process using 'medium' abrasives, done properly, with 4-5 passes will take off around 3 microns or so of clear coat. It doesn't take much for your paint warranty to disappear if you are a regular user of machine polishing within the warranty period......

Robot application, and even the likes of Aston Martin use robots now, has variables, same facility at different plants will have variability but it is much better than hand-sprayed even at lower micron thicknesses.

This is my experience and knowledge from 38 years in automotive manufacturing production (including seven years running paint shops for Aston Martin) and working with OE facility and paint companies such as PPG, Durr, Carrs, etc. Thumbs Up

Post #19613588th Jul 2018 5:37 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Fairplay ....only going by what the chap in paint said in Solihull ...though that was a few years back now Thumbs Up

Post #19613648th Jul 2018 6:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >