Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

How damaging is towing?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
enforcer

How damaging is towing?

As I've mentioned on here before, I'm hoping to buy a D4. I have no particular need to tow anything. When looking at cars should I:
A. See towing as detrimental and avoid those with tow bars because of the extra wear and tear the car will have endured,
Or
B. See towing as irrelevant and treat those with tow bars as having an extra feature for potential future use with no adverse effects on the rest of the car?

Thanks for any advice.

Post #191724721st Feb 2018 5:36 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's really difficult to tell. If a Disco has been used to tow a 5' x 3' trailer to the dump with grass cutting in, it's very unlikely to have done any damage. However, if it's been used to tow a 3.5tonne digger on a trailer, on and off of building sites it may be a different story.

Don't forget, Discos can have removable towbars, and many owners will sell the towbar separately to the car, then you won't tell that it had had a towbar on anyway!

You need to be more aware of the condition of the car and how it drives, rather than whether it has a towbar or not. Thumbs Up
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #191725321st Feb 2018 5:47 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Driven correctly, towing should not be a major issue, but towing say a 3500kg trailer all the time must, by its very nature ,put extra loading on the vehicle . I would look more to its condition rather than if it has a tow hitch .

Post #191725921st Feb 2018 5:58 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Discoverys are designed to tow large loads. I think avoiding a vehicle that has towed a lot is more for advice cars and small SUVs rather than large 4X4s. The overall condition of the car would be a better indicator.

Post #191726421st Feb 2018 6:04 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It's a vehicle that's been designed to tow, sure there will extra loading due to the tugging on the rear end but the reality is a properly loaded/maintained trailer won't put much more load on the vehicle than a couple of adults sat in the 3rd row seats.

I think it's one of those things from years gone by like people not buying a car with 100k miles on it. I would see a decent quality fixed tow bar as a benefit as I would only be fitting one anyway. It's also one of those vehicles where a high percentage will a tow bar compared to other vehicles.

I also suspect you are far more likely to have problems with a vehicle that's been doing 30miles a week than one that's been towing a trailer.

It's also wrong to assume a vehicle that has never towed will have no suspension issues.
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Last edited by armalites on 21st Feb 2018 7:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #191727421st Feb 2018 6:15 pm
Washwipe

England 

Wouldn’t worry to much depending on mileage, but if I had the slightest hint that it had been towing something more than a garden trailer I would seriously consider a gearbox flush especially if the mileage was coming up to 40k.

You can of course have a towbar fitted and only used as a bike rack.

Post #191727721st Feb 2018 6:22 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It’s pretty much irrelevant. He car has to be bought on condition.

How do you know that Disco your looking at hasn’t been thrashed to within a moment of its life? Yet the seller claims it’s never towed!

The highest mileage D3 in the world (probably) has spent most of its life towing a large car transporter trailer, so no I would not avoid a D3 that has towed. I would avoid one that was obviously neglected.

Post #191727821st Feb 2018 6:26 pm
enforcer

Thanks everyone. I'll pretty much forget about it then, and go by the normal criteria of condition etc.

Post #191729821st Feb 2018 7:10 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

As said above I would go on condition of the car AND the owner, if they look like a builder type guy then ist going to have had a hard life no matter what they say Shocked

The car may be designed for towing but remember the auto boxes start sulking around 100k, add in being asked to do twice the work they normally do with the extra weight and they may get ill sooner rather than later.

Post #191730421st Feb 2018 7:16 pm
enforcer

I'll keep that in mind, though I expect I'll end up buying through a dealer/trader and so may never see the previous owner. I'll always ask what they can tell me about them, but there's no guarantee they'll know or tell the truth.

With respect to the gearbox, will the flush mentioned above deal with the problems you refer to, or are you talking about approaching the end of the working life?

Post #191731121st Feb 2018 7:23 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sadly I cant answer that as auto boxes have been a lottery since the dawn of time, land rovers being no exception.
On the other hand anythimg you can do to extend their working lives cant hurt.

Post #191731721st Feb 2018 7:37 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just make sure there's an FSH. As far as gearbox is concerned, broadly speaking go by the way it performs. If over 60k and it has been changed / flushed that's a sign of a caring owner Very Happy

Post #191735521st Feb 2018 8:33 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Banging Head dont know what to say
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #191739121st Feb 2018 9:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
enforcer

About what?

Post #191740621st Feb 2018 10:06 pm
ginjeremy

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

[quote="lynalldiscovery"]As said above I would go on condition of the car AND the owner, if they look like a builder type guy then ist going to have had a hard life no matter what they say Shocked

The car may be designed for towing but remember the auto boxes start sulking around 100k, add in being asked to do twice the work they normally do with the extra weight and they may get ill sooner rather than later.[/quot

A sweeping statement of a builder type guy Rolling Eyes I am one of those bulder types you speak of but I hate mess and look after my vehicles with care. No styrene cups sloshing about on my dash and I constantly get asked when am I selling my Transit. I'm sure HairyDan would vouch for my vehicles. Perhaps I'm the exceptionto the norm. Laughing

Post #191766022nd Feb 2018 7:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >