Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Dealer approved warranty service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Inigo

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Dealer approved warranty service

I've had a few minor issues and decided to get the dealer to look at them assuming they would be covered under the approved warranty. Dealer needed a month's notice before they could book me in with a courtesy car. I don't use the dealer closest to me as I had a falling out over a Defender warranty claim. Issues include:

1 Stop/start not working, not really a problem, but other perhaps battery related issues cropped up so I thought I'd best sort it.
2 Coolant leak. I'd been topping this up, when Bodsy came to flush my gearbox he pointed out the (rather large) cut in the top coolant hose caused by rubbing of the engine cover. and patched it up with tape.
3 Normal height only. Often a sign that the compressor is on its way out, but could be weak battery related.
4 Special programs not available. When it snowed, the snow program switched off. I don't test these very often, but it was disappointing that when I actually needed it, it was not available. Could also be low battery related.

So, delivered car to dealers, they mentioned that batteries weren't covered by the warranty (fair enough), but when it was returned to me said that they had replaced the hose and the compressor.

I was surpised to find the engine cover still in the boot (where I had told them it was). Just checked and the coolant hose hasn't been replaced. Perhaps they have replaced a different one, but I don't see which one.

Thought I'd have a look at the compressor, guard looks untouched.

I've also this week just got the quote for extending the warranty for £1,000. Doesn't really seem like money well spent at the moment.

Am I being paranoid? Is there any point in chasing dealer? Is there a way of checking if compressor has been replaced?

Post #22158787th Mar 2021 6:14 pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Have previously had the small battery replaced for the stop start under the approved used policy. About the only good thing they did do!
 Discovery commercial tdv6 auto 2013
Volkswagen t6 lwb Kombi dsg 4motion 2018
Volkswagen t5.1 lwb single cab tipper 2013
Discovery commercial sdv6 auto 2014 gone and not really missed.
Range Rover Tdv8 gone
Freelander 2 I6 very sadly gone
VW t5 Dsg gone and missed 

Post #22158977th Mar 2021 7:12 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Dealer approved warranty service

Inigo wrote:
I've had a few minor issues and decided to get the dealer to look at them assuming they would be covered under the approved warranty. Dealer needed a month's notice before they could book me in with a courtesy car. I don't use the dealer closest to me as I had a falling out over a Defender warranty claim. Issues include:

1 Stop/start not working, not really a problem, but other perhaps battery related issues cropped up so I thought I'd best sort it.
2 Coolant leak. I'd been topping this up, when Bodsy came to flush my gearbox he pointed out the (rather large) cut in the top coolant hose caused by rubbing of the engine cover. and patched it up with tape.
3 Normal height only. Often a sign that the compressor is on its way out, but could be weak battery related.
4 Special programs not available. When it snowed, the snow program switched off. I don't test these very often, but it was disappointing that when I actually needed it, it was not available. Could also be low battery related.

So, delivered car to dealers, they mentioned that batteries weren't covered by the warranty (fair enough), but when it was returned to me said that they had replaced the hose and the compressor.

I was surpised to find the engine cover still in the boot (where I had told them it was). Just checked and the coolant hose hasn't been replaced. Perhaps they have replaced a different one, but I don't see which one.

Thought I'd have a look at the compressor, guard looks untouched.

I've also this week just got the quote for extending the warranty for £1,000. Doesn't really seem like money well spent at the moment.

Am I being paranoid? Is there any point in chasing dealer? Is there a way of checking if compressor has been replaced?

Ask for clarification on what was done in writing / email and also to see the parts that were removed. The bolt on the compressor cover doesn't look like its been touched. You could get an Indi to remove the cover and let you see whether it is a new compressor. If none of what they said has been done then that's fraud because they will have charger the warranty company for the work.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Last edited by Moo on 7th Mar 2021 9:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22159157th Mar 2021 7:55 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As this is Kent, I'm interested in who you've used for this. Can you supply a name?
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #22159247th Mar 2021 8:13 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

An ex colleague from work a decade or so ago is now a 'meet and greeter' at a LR Dealer in terms of when you take your vehicle in for service.

He tells me that the Service Manager who runs the actual Workshop is God and no one but no one over rules him. It is not unknown for technicians to claim work has been done when it has not but the technicians are under such pressure to do as much work as they can and bill for it that things do sometimes go wrong..

Could have happened here?
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #22159407th Mar 2021 9:13 pm
Inigo

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Had an email from the dealer this morning (before I made contact to moan) apologising and saying that they were waiting for parts, work to be done at a later date.

While this is an inconvenience, I have to say that I am pleased that they corrected the misunderstanding very quickly.

Faith restored.

Post #22160068th Mar 2021 9:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >