Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

debris in oil filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i know everything about educated guesses but in the end we do not know what really is going on, untill checked...

that is why i wanted to know if it is possible to have a look inside at the big-ends without a lifted engine.

if "only" one big-end shell is slightly damaged, i maybe take my chances, depending on what i find. if more it's gonna be another engine and maybe just maybe i rebuild this one..

as said before, we ruibuild engines for a living..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #211452321st Jan 2020 10:01 am
bembo449

obvs the sump would need to come off , if you suspended the engine off its mounts , that maybe possible ??

Post #211452521st Jan 2020 10:09 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Do you know the history of the car? Is there a chance the previous owner has bodged it? Is there any evidence of recent engine work? Like clips missing, spanner marks, stains etc?

Post #211452621st Jan 2020 10:12 am
Motolab

bembo449 wrote:
obvs the sump would need to come off , if you suspended the engine off its mounts , that maybe possible ??

the question i asked regarding this work is allready been answered in the first response by Pete K
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #211453421st Jan 2020 10:25 am
Motolab

Gareth wrote:
Do you know the history of the car? Is there a chance the previous owner has bodged it? Is there any evidence of recent engine work? Like clips missing, spanner marks, stains etc?

i piece of history is known.....

bought brand new by its first owner in Germany and prepared for a trip to australia. auxillary fuel tank, dual battery set up, Matzker suspension add-on, heavy duty roofrack, etc. etc.
all maintenance in the service book untill the second german owner, who also brought it (again) to australia (can be seen in the park licencens (2007 & 2013) on the windscreen) also maintenance in the service book, until the last 20.000 km... it looked like it was parked in a garage after the last aussie trip, the red dust was all arround... there is only 154000 km / less than 100000 miles on the car, which looks genuine if you look at the mechanical parts, hinges, chairs, etc. etc. also with my IID nothing strange regarding the km/Miles did come up..

there is no evidence of recent spannering or what so ever (the marks in the red dust would have told me)

engine was fine for about 120 km/s of test drives (i replaced a transfer box ecu who looked like it had some water drops damage) until the last one when i blanked the EGR's.

now there is a fault regarding one injector restricted and this knock...

i am busy replacing 3 injectors, one on cylinder 6 is done but one (on cylinder 3) is stucked.... snaped my injector removing tool from laser allready... now the stuck injector (and the third one on cylinder 1) is prayed with penetration oil on a daily basis, until the new tool arrives from Advanced Factors

during waiting for the tool, i was thinking, lets have a look at the inside of the last oil filter...

and now this topic ..... i want/like to see the big-end's before a take other precautions
 Best regards
Harold

Post #211454221st Jan 2020 10:48 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

you may want to read these

ok a 3 litre but very similar
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/30-tdv6-reb...85614.html

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/27-tdv6-rebuild-183691-15.html

Post #211490022nd Jan 2020 6:56 pm
Kelstevens8

New Zealand 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Wow, I too have metal filings in the filter, exactly the same but my Car (discovery 4 2011) is shutting down after starting and going for 5 sec, makes a horrendous vibrating feel. Putting on a trick and sending to land Rover agent today. We suspect the bearings in the crank are worn

Post #211490222nd Jan 2020 7:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >