Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Deep rumble
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TokyoD4

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Deep rumble

My D4 has developed a low frequency rumbling/bobbling sound in the last few weeks - similar to the reverberation you get with the window open at speed, but lower frequency. It occurs with even the slightest imperfection in the road surface and the car has gone from being a smooth motorway cruiser to almost unpleasant - the frequency is too low to be drowned out by the stereo. Nothing has been changed on the car - same tyres and tyre pressures, though the ride feels generally harder. I feel a bit nervous as a previous Disco and RRS had to have air suspension units replaced. I recall a similar noise from an MX5 I had was caused by a reverberation from the exhaust moving slightly as the car shook over bumps.
 Daniel  
Post #129844815th Jun 2014 3:48 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I'd have a really good look at your tyres...you only need one to either be delaminating or bulging to create exactly that feeling. Probably a pothole or a kerb did one of mine and although it didn't puncture it upon closer inspection the tread pattern was slightly deformed, thus creating a slight high spot!

Post #129846115th Jun 2014 4:22 pm
TokyoD4

Thanks; will try that - didn't really think of it as the tyres are only 4 months old.
 Daniel  
Post #129846715th Jun 2014 4:39 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Did it do it before those were put on?
I'm only near Brands Hatch if you wanted to try another set of wheels on just to see if it makes any difference... At least that way you've ruled it out....and can start looking elsewhere..

Post #129847115th Jun 2014 4:46 pm
TokyoD4

No, it has only started in the last month so. Thanks for the offer, but the supplier is only 5 minutes away so I will drop in to see them.
 Daniel  
Post #129847315th Jun 2014 4:48 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
D3 intermittent "rumbling" ride, tyres all renewed

Hi TokyoD4,

Your "rumbling" description perfectly matches symptoms I've had for over a year (D3 MY2005) - as you say sounds just as though a window is open and the air inside the car is slightly "booming".

No noise on motorways at low or high speeds, but on urban or country roads most surface imperfections now trigger a few rumbles instead of the air suspension absorbing everything.

As with you I had sensible advice to change tyres, all now renewed but symptoms still there. Height change low/normal/high all works OK, car is not stuck "bumping" on low clearance.

So, did you ever discover the reason for your noises ?

My D3 had previously ridden like a silk carpet, noiseless and smooth, the rumbling arrived around 90k miles. I've had front and rear suspension checked/pushed/prodded/knocked several times when replacing arms and bushes, nothing has ever been found (trusted "indy" workshops)

The only clue I have is the rumblings started very approx. around same time I had a rear wheel bearing replacement, but no reliable link between the events.

I've tried driving with a webcam clipped below and watching each hub assembly in turn, but when I replay the sessions there's no detectable movement to explain the rumbles.

I like the car so much I'm considering DIY instrumentation (accelerometer + electronics) to measure wobbles initially on each wheel hub, and then back along the power train to the gearbox. However that's a laborious path and I'd much rather have a quicker answer !

VB & thanks for any details you might have,

Kevin

Post #147961627th May 2015 6:39 pm
duc1098

Norway 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've had this problem, it turned out to be one of the rear wheel bearings. It was tight and looked to be in good condition, but it produced this rumbling noise at speeds between 40-60mph. The dealer replaced it 2 years ago, haven't heard the noise again.

Post #148004128th May 2015 6:43 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi Duc1098,

Many thanks for your feedback/experience.

I've heard of wheel bearings causing "improbable" symptoms. It can sound unscientific, but the golden rule is that no true scientist discounts an observation just because it's unexplained !

Well, replacing a bearing is not a tough job so I reckon I'll take a slight risk and get this done later in the year.

I'll try and remember to update this post with the outcome !

With kind regards,

Kevin

Post #148864917th Jun 2015 3:51 am
simonej

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one as the description of the problem is identical to what I seem to be having with my D4. It basically feels like the deep buffet you get with one window open and occurs when the road surface is anything but super smooth. The car has only done 20k so bearings seem unlikely and I don't recall it point it when I bought it six months ago.

Anyone any ideas other than tyres?

Post #173401414th Nov 2016 9:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >