Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Site News & Feedback

Detailing Forum Discussion (Split from T&T)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
jkp

Scotland 

DG, not really bothered mate. Yer probably right. If there ain't gonna be a new section, then the gaffer just needs to say Oi....NOOOOOOO!!! and that's that.

I may be wrong, but what is this forum for. Is it by the people for the people, or by the people for themsleves Wink

Don't really know what I meant to say there...just popped into my head Laughing

Post #2116274th Oct 2007 5:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just a few thoughts to throw into the mix....please don't go all 'anti' with your replies....I want to be constructive and strike a balance that is good for the community that makes this site what it is.

As Bodsy says, a topic were created very quickly for Navigation with a lot less interest than there was shown in the poll that I started for the Care Car topic. In this Navigation thread, only a few posts are specific D3 related issues and these have received very little feedback. Saying this, I see it as a valuable topic for D3 owners and therefore it should be there.

Morocco topics. Again useful and interesting, but only to a very small % of the community. Saying that a Car Care cleaning topic is not sufficiently useful or wanted by the community doesn't make sense when you consider the limited appeal/use of these two Morocco topics. Again, I'm not saying that they don't have their place because they do, but it kind of negates the argument about Car Care not being important enough to warrant it's own topic especially when there weren't lots of requests for them as there have been for the Car Care thingy. (AndrewS - please be objective.....I don't mean to single you out Wink )

I also admit that cleaning and car care techniques are not usually specific to the D3 as a car, (although some things are as Bodsy rightly points out). Saying this, another way of looking at it is that cleaning your D3 is 100% relevant to the people that it interests in the D3 community.

This next comment is not supposed to offend anyone...it is just an observation....but...it is always the same people who jump into the cleaning threads and start that it is pointless.....even though they are far outnumbered by the people who ARE interested and have as much right to learn and share info about caring for the D3 within a D3 community.

I can see where martin, simon and slimer (ok...and DG and JMC to a certain degree Whistle ) are coming from....they don't want 'their' forum to end up like the X5 or Toerag forum with a little girly detailing thread, but then again I can see where even more people are coming from in wanting to share their interests related to their D3s within the D3 community that is Disco3.co.uk.

OK chaps....fire away at will....
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #2116324th Oct 2007 5:22 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Paul ..I might be a prolific poster of s.hite ..but it ain't 'my' forum....my view however is that there is a danger of a new section becoming an extention of www.polishmynutstilltheybleed.com. ....Why don't the guys who are really, really, really interested ask for a specific section on the detailing sites? Works both ways you know Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2116374th Oct 2007 5:32 pm
jkp

Scotland 

DG wrote:
my view however is that there is a danger of a new section becoming an extention of www.polishmynutstilltheybleed.com. ....Why don't the guys who are really, really, really interested ask for a specific section on the detailing sites? Works both ways you know Wink

How an extention DG? What you scared of? Surley if it's pigeon-holed into its own wee corner, you need never go there if your scared or feeling in danger Whistle

There could be a disclaimer on entering the new section...

..."Give up all hope ye' wha enter here, as you may never get muddy again!!"

Your last comment does read rather badly though, almost a Censored off and go elsewhere, but I know you are not like that my friend.

Post #2116394th Oct 2007 5:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Martin wrote:
Hi all

Welcome to disco3.co.uk, the brand new community web site for everything to do with the new Discovery 3 and LR3 vehicles from Land Rover.

Whistle Whistle Whistle

I'm off now, but I'll be back later y'all be pleased to hear......
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #2116424th Oct 2007 5:40 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Bodsy wrote:
Martin wrote:
Hi all

Welcome to disco3.co.uk, the brand new community web site for everything to do with the new Discovery 3 and LR3 vehicles from Land Rover.

Whistle Whistle Whistle

I'm off now, but I'll be back later y'all be pleased to hear......

That intro is wrong....it ain't a brand new community anymore. You can tell that with the amount of Victor Meldrew that are now on board.

Post #2116464th Oct 2007 5:47 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
Paul ..I might be a prolific poster of s.hite ..

Your words not mine Whistle (only joking) ....we all post s.hite now and again, but it's always good to be able to admit it when we're up to no good. Thumbs Up

DG wrote:
Why don't the guys who are really, really, really interested ask for a specific section on the detailing sites? Works both ways you know Wink

The same could probably be said about Wheels & Tyres, For Sale & Wanted and Off-Topic Whistle but they are topics specific to people that own D3s, the same as Car Care. Wink
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #2116474th Oct 2007 5:47 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

jkp wrote:
Your last comment does read rather badly though, almost a Censored off and go elsewhere

Shocked No not at all ! My context (obviously poorly conveyed) is that if for example detailingworld had a section for each type of motor then surely that would benefit everyone with interest there ...I'm surprised that they don't and I would suggest that to the site regardless TBH Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2116514th Oct 2007 5:49 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I've said what I think, and that I will re-evaluate the situation in a while.

I've expanded the context of the navigation forum to include ICE. What I need to do is spend a couple of days going through the whole forum moving topics into the correct forums, but as I'm sure you're aware that is a hell of a job...!

The beauty of this site is that is evolves to suit the community, but there comes a point that if I did everything everyone asks me to do then the site would be become too thinly spread over too many areas.

Remember this: no-one is saying you can't discuss cleaning/detailing on DISCO3, just that at the moment I don't feel there is a justification for a full dedicated section (what I call a "forum") - topics ("threads", sets of posts, etc) are MORE THAN WELCOME.

I envisage there will be a "Caring for your D3" section in the future as more posts are made, perhaps a dedicated forum would encourage more posts - I don't know, but I've made my decision for now and I'm sticking to it.

I'm not sitting either side of the fence on the issue of whether you clean a car yourself or not and how long you spend doing it, etc (although I personally think the word "detailing" itself is absolutely cringing).

Instead of bickering about it, how about prove that a separate section is required and start some discussions on the topic, post some more Tips, recommend products etc etc - if you're that keen show me you can talk about it until the cows come home!! Mr. Green
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2116594th Oct 2007 6:03 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

PaulP wrote:
I can see where martin, simon and slimer (ok...and DG and JMC to a certain degree Whistle ) are coming from....they don't want 'their' forum to end up like the X5 or Toerag forum with a little girly detailing thread, but then again I can see where even more people are coming from in wanting to share their interests related to their D3s within the D3 community that is Disco3.co.uk.

er... Martin's forum chap, not mine nor anyone elses.

I couldn't care less if there was a separate section TBH.

Post #2116624th Oct 2007 6:22 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Martin wrote:
I've expanded the context of the navigation forum to include ICE. What I need to do is spend a couple of days going through the whole forum moving topics into the correct forums, but as I'm sure you're aware that is a hell of a job...!
I've made a start, if anyone spots anything that they think should be moved click that report post triangle and let us know Thumbs Up The End  
Post #2116674th Oct 2007 6:32 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I was in the garage earlier and realised the bottles of polish, wax, sealant, trim protector etc nearly outnumber the contents of my tool chest (and it's a BIG tool chest). Perhaps cleaning could be included specifically in the title of the Maintenance thread? After all, cleaning and more, ahem, detailed cleaning is a form of maintenance, isn't it?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2117564th Oct 2007 8:36 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That's the solution Al. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Martin,

Maintenance, Modifications and Cleaning

There you go, keeps the cleaning chaps happy and the maintenance people happy and the modifications happy.

Will he do it.... won't he do it...... Ah Go On Martin, you know you want to......

Oh and for the record, Navigation and ICE combined Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #2118404th Oct 2007 10:20 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Patience... changes are being planned....
 The End  
Post #2118474th Oct 2007 10:25 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

All done before you even thought of it guys.... M&M forum now mentions care in the description.

Navigation was expanded to include in-car electronics earlier on.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2118514th Oct 2007 10:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >