Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Diesel:- supermarket branded or premium?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Houghta

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Diesel:- supermarket branded or premium?

Hi how diesel does everyone use do you go for the supermarket diesel or a branded version like shell etc or do you put in a premium version like shell vmax and why, just interested as I have only had my discovery 4 a week and would be happy to pay the extra over supermarket prices if there are any benefits

Post #195459817th Jun 2018 6:30 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

On my D3 it didn’t make any difference at all, on the D4 there’s about a 2mpg difference between Esso & BP regular diesel and Tesco’s.

I dabbled with super diesel on the D3 but not with the D4, the price differences is too high in uk.

Last edited by DSL on 17th Jun 2018 6:35 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #195459917th Jun 2018 6:33 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It’s a question that has been asked regularly here, see the thread
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/premium-fue...el+premium for example.

Post #195460017th Jun 2018 6:35 am
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

As mentioned, there’s a whole host of opinions on this. Have a read thro’, and then make an informed choice.
There are many that base their choice solely on the mpg that the engine is returning, and I’m afraid that it comes down to a little more than this.
Having worked with both car and motorcycle engines for many years, the fuel can have have a marked difference as to the way that the engine runs. This, in the long term will affect its wear. Think back to when leaded fuel was withdrawn, and people continued to use it on their cars, seemingly unaware that the valves/ valve seats were being burned away. An additive is used by many car enthusiast to this day to replace the lead.

For what it’s worth, I know of people that have found that their mechanical diesel pumps have required attention after continued use of the supermarket fuels. This also stands for the in tank electric pumps; they rely on the fuels lube quality also.
The ‘diesel knock’ is a lot more noticeable when it’s used, so I’d say try a few different company’s and make an informed choice.
Make sure that you fill enough to overcome the effect of the previous fill.
Also try the premium blends, and listen carefully to hear the engine noise at a cold start. The ‘knock’ will likely be less.
The adding of 2SO at 200:1 is another factor that you may wish to consider.
Engines without a DPF can use a lower grade, but DPF should use JASO FC rated. Adding this to each tank is a common practice among many diesel enthusiasts. The older LR engines incl. 200/300TDi run noticeably better for it.
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #195460117th Jun 2018 7:12 am
Sea Raider

Usually supermarket however our local Costco has opened a petrol station and only sells the diesel with the added crack cocaine in t and sells it about 5p or so a litre less that the cheap supermarket diesel so when I can I use that.
They sell both types of unleaded

Post #195460617th Jun 2018 7:47 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Never use supermarket diesel.
The business next door to me is a general garage, repairing all types of cars. They are always fixing injectors and pumps, on quite modern cars. The overwhelming factor is that the owners all think they are saving money by buying supermarket diesel. The cost of new injectors and pumps far outweighs the extra cost of 'proper' diesel.

I only ever use Shell, because I collect the points. If I have to, I'll buy BP or Esso. Supermarket is very last resort.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #195461117th Jun 2018 9:10 am
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

At the end of the day all fuel is manufactured to British Standards, which is what manufacturers design/map engines to run on, so are unlikely to harm engine or ancillary components. Premium petrol is generally higher Octane, so should give some power/economy improvements, premium diesels contain better detergents etc, so should help clean up the engine which may give small improvements in power/economy. For diesels I have seen it recommend that a tank of premium every four or five tanks or so is no bad thing.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #195461317th Jun 2018 9:13 am
Littlewill

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Personally I use supermarket fuel with a drop of two stroke every second tank or so. Super market fuel is convenient and any MPG increase from the premium stuff can be lost in a heart beat if having to pull out from the forecourt a bit faster than you'd usually like.

Post #195461817th Jun 2018 9:26 am
deanslandy

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

rrhool wrote:
The business next door to me is a general garage, repairing all types of cars. They are always fixing injectors and pumps, on quite modern cars. The overwhelming factor is that the owners all think they are saving money by buying supermarket diesel. The cost of new injectors and pumps far outweighs the extra cost of 'proper' diesel.

I only ever use Shell, because I collect the points. If I have to, I'll buy BP or Esso. Supermarket is very last resort.

Ditto and car does seem to run smoother I think. As far as reduced wear goes I really don't know but I would rather have peace of mind
 Belts, oil pump casing and water pump by Flack
Transmission flush by Geoff 

Post #195461917th Jun 2018 9:27 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would say 99 percent of people who say their car runs better on posh derv are suffering from the placebo effect, Im sure a racing driver might notice the miniscule improvement if any.

Post #195462917th Jun 2018 10:34 am
deanslandy

maybe Thumbs Up

Post #195463817th Jun 2018 11:23 am
Grianaig

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Only use super diesel, Shell V Power by choice. Running a D4 means mpg is largely irrelevant otherwise I’d run a mini. As I understand it, as others have said, the extra detergents and additives keep the fuel system clean and hopefully reduce wear. As for the more subjective benefits of smoother running I noticed a slight loss of this when using supermarket diesel for several weeks when I couldn’t find a convenient supply of super diesel in the part of the highlands where I was staying.
 2014 MY Discovery XS Indus Silver. Sadly gone. Second last LR of forty eight years continuous ownership.  
Post #195464217th Jun 2018 11:29 am
deanslandy

Yes I have experienced same and this is my choice of fuel too. Thumbs Up

Post #195464417th Jun 2018 11:38 am
J77

Scotland 

I normally use Shell as I have to drive past it to get to Sainsbury, which I did use a few years back as it was cheaper. However the Velar has a belly full of Tesco’s finest jungle juice in it at the moment as that’s what was available at the time and can’t say I’ve noticed any difference in how the car is running or fuel economy over my regular Shell Fuelsave or whatever it’s called.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #195475117th Jun 2018 7:05 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

rrhool wrote:

Flip side of the coin, a friend of mine sold his D3 to another friend of mine (yes I have 2!! Shocked ) and said sold to friend had to change the injectors. Now that car, by virtue of where it was (all fuel costing the same) never had a drop of supermarket fuel in its life, the worse it had was a dollop of Tunisian diesel or two. I’m not convinced it makes a jot of difference. Thumbs Up

Discuss. Whistle

Post #195475517th Jun 2018 7:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >