Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Dipstick
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
RBP

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mogwyth wrote:
Nissan Juke has both, electronic check on start up and dipstick..built into the filer cäp.

Are they any good? Had an email from a finance company the other day hawking a base model for £77 a month over 2 years for a lease!

Post #164513023rd Apr 2016 10:05 pm
RBP

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Best thing about a proper dipstick is its always right (it might be vague but its right), the dash ones WILL go wrong at some point.

I had one at work only yesterday, dash showing oil overfull, jack cab oil 6mm under max on stick, back in cab its shows overfull, drain off 2 litres dash shows overfull, dipstick now at halfway, drain down to minimum, guess what? dash shows oil overfull, so thats a truck vor for a lack of a dipstick.

I run MAN trucks that have both. As long as you check on the level & has been standing for 30 mins plus they are in agreement. Very Happy

Post #164513123rd Apr 2016 10:08 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

My girlfriends 2003 Citreon C2 has both actually!

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #164513223rd Apr 2016 10:08 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

RBP wrote:
Mogwyth wrote:
Nissan Juke has both, electronic check on start up and dipstick..built into the filer cäp.

Are they any good? Had an email from a finance company the other day hawking a base model for £77 a month over 2 years for a lease!

We are on our second one picked it up 2 weeks ago, ours is near top of the range one, we use it as our commuter car to do a 60 mile rural round trip, has to have good ground clearance to get up and down our farm track, decent fuel economy (old one avg 52.5, new one is doing 55 plus and its only done 600 miles so should get a bit better), enough get up and go to overtake when needed and reasonable handling, not a typical eurobox but it suits us. Shape compromises the interior space a bit, boot is rubbish, we use the D3 to go shopping etc and some of the interior plastics feel a bit cheap. Last one went to the dealers three times in 35,000 miles twice for a service, once for a engine light that came on and then went of, it didn't set any faults and never happened again. My biggest gripe is it's noisy compared to my D3 but then mine is a petrol.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #164515223rd Apr 2016 10:45 pm
Washwipe

England 

RBP wrote:
lynalldiscovery wrote:
Best thing about a proper dipstick is its always right (it might be vague but its right), the dash ones WILL go wrong at some point.

I had one at work only yesterday, dash showing oil overfull, jack cab oil 6mm under max on stick, back in cab its shows overfull, drain off 2 litres dash shows overfull, dipstick now at halfway, drain down to minimum, guess what? dash shows oil overfull, so thats a truck vor for a lack of a dipstick.

I run MAN trucks that have both. As long as you check on the level & has been standing for 30 mins plus they are in agreement. Very Happy

It seems the Renaults we have seem to have mastered it, has both Electronic and a dipstick, has done for six or so years, maybe longer, the electronic one works everytime you start the engine, gives you a row of six zeros on start up, as the oil level drops a zero changes to a dash, usually when five zeros and one dash is displayed 1/2 a litre of oil is required to bring it up to the mark.

Post #164515723rd Apr 2016 11:00 pm
RBP

Mogwyth wrote:
RBP wrote:
Mogwyth wrote:

We are on our second one picked it up 2 weeks ago, ours is near top of the range one, we use it as our commuter car to do a 60 mile rural round trip, has to have good ground clearance to get up and down our farm track, decent fuel economy (old one avg 52.5, new one is doing 55 plus and its only done 600 miles so should get a bit better), enough get up and go to overtake when needed and reasonable handling, not a typical eurobox but it suits us. Shape compromises the interior space a bit, boot is rubbish, we use the D3 to go shopping etc and some of the interior plastics feel a bit cheap. Last one went to the dealers three times in 35,000 miles twice for a service, once for a engine light that came on and then went of, it didn't set any faults and never happened again. My biggest gripe is it's noisy compared to my D3 but then mine is a petrol.

Thanks for the info. I'll encourage my business partners to get one, I may then be able to afford a D4?! Laughing

Post #164515923rd Apr 2016 11:03 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

sorry to say my dipstick doesn't get used much these days...age thing I think

Post #164516723rd Apr 2016 11:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

RBP wrote:
lynalldiscovery wrote:

All our Dafs have both, sadly the dipstick is under the cab on the CF tractors, I think the mercs also have both, not looked at the scania dash to check but it has a nice easy to get to dipstick under the grill, defo one of them vehicles that does not live up to its hyped image.
Asked a mate about it this morning and he says the DAF dealer he works at are seeing quite a few MX11 and MX13 engines with oil level sensor issues and they are causing all sorts of grief, only another 6 mths and ours will be out of warranty Mr. Green

Post #164517324th Apr 2016 12:19 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

robpenrose wrote:
My girlfriends 2003 Citreon C2 has both actually!

It must be a French thing, as a 1997 Peugeot 406 I owned also had both, that system worked well as the electronic one displayed the level when you first started the car, so if I noticed something I could then check with the dipstick.

I am surprised our resident dipstick campaigner hasn't been along yet Wink
 Andy

Post #164520224th Apr 2016 7:59 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

yes, but you have a nice pipe where attach the vacuum pump.

Easy and clean oil change.......
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #164523224th Apr 2016 9:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mogwyth wrote:

My old Merc C32 had the same, electric oil level check and a separate dipstick

Post #164523824th Apr 2016 9:40 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Well, the new engined Ingenium Disco Sport has a dipstick, no electronic secondary system Thumbs Up electronic everything else, so I tend to think LR think the electronic type was a waste of time.

Post #164528024th Apr 2016 11:09 am
adam

United Kingdom 

As long as the dip stick is better than the p*ss poor one in the D3

Post #164529624th Apr 2016 11:43 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Seems to be. Thumbs Up at least it's at the front of the engine.

Post #164530024th Apr 2016 11:49 am
EMcC

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I had the P*** taken out of me the other day when I posted my problem caused by lack of dip stick.
I had done 12k and my dashboard read out said that I hadn't used any oil,
I found that hard to believe so put 750mil of oil Additive thinking that it would not only top up the engine but also do it some good.
However when I switched the dashboard read out on, it stated that the gear box was now over filled and unsafe to drive.
I managed to get it sorted by sucking/syphoning some oil out through the breather but when I posted my experience on this site I was called everything short of the dimmest muppet on earth.
Had I had a good old fashioned dip stick I would have had a true reading, although I would still have found it hard to believe all my engine working parts had not used any oil over the distance I had travelled.
Bring back the dip stick I say.

Post #164537324th Apr 2016 2:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >