Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Are disco 3s really that expensive to keep?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
goofy13

United Kingdom 
Are disco 3s really that expensive to keep?

If you can do your own work are discovery 3s really that expensive to keep?
What parts are more expensive than other cars?
Excluding the crank problem what other disasters should be expected?
Are the early 2005 ones with low tax rotting yet?
It would only be used as a second car occasionly for towing i thought that would be less expense but someone told me they dont do well not being driven.
I wouldnt be to worried about mechanical maintenance.
Its more lights coming on and wiring tempermental problems or corrossion.

Post #220649929th Jan 2021 10:48 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Every car is different. I’ve had mine for 3.5 years and love it. I’ve also taken it as a learning experience to do maintenance on the vehicle that I haven’t done before. Personally I don’t think it’s an expensive vehicle to maintain but perhaps the previous owner kept it well. I spend much more annually on 95E10 than on maintenance and parts for the D3.

Don’t think the crank is that big of a problem on the 2.7 liter TDV6, it’s more of an issue with the 3.0 TDV6/SDV6 on the D4. I think the D3 diesel has more an issue with the oil pump unless it has been replaced with an upgraded one.

Big an expensive stuff on the D3 diesel, that can go wrong, include suspension, air compressor, turbo, gearbox, differentials, oil pump.

Parts suppliers include, in order of high to low price, a genuine JLR, OEM, aftermarket. Forum is a good source on what’s good and what isn’t.

Most things have been seen, diagnosed and fixed at least once.

Post #220650029th Jan 2021 10:59 pm
goofy13

United Kingdom 

thanks for the reply. That gives me a bit more confidence.
Do you know if the early ones have corrossion problems yet?
And is their a list on here somewhere of when t belts etc should be done so i can allow for price when buying?

Post #220650229th Jan 2021 11:05 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

But Kajtzu and I have the 4.4 V8 petrol.

You also need to factor in maintenance vs depreciation. One car that we owned lost nearly £1000 a month over 3years, most of time sitting on the drive.

I waited for a petrol version. I wanted a 90 V8 but the D3 was considerably cheaper to buy , far more comfortable and a great choice. I'm coming up to 5 years with mine, and yes I have itchy feet and money burning an hole, but every time I jump in the car, it puts a smile across my face.

Mine's 16years old this year. During lockdown 1 I changed the side steps and took the cill covers off and was pleasantly surprised on how good it was.

Last edited by pjm-84 on 30th Jan 2021 4:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #220651529th Jan 2021 11:43 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

If you can diy, they are still not cheap to run!

If you google discovery 3 rusty/rotten sills/cills you will see where they rust.

Biggest single expense on mine in 6 yrs has been the injectors, not unusual to see issues after a 100k.

I like mine, would I recommend one to anyone I know/like? the answer is no!

Post #220653130th Jan 2021 6:00 am
Dimcandle

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

It's realtive. I've mine about a year now and only spent on gizmo's and routine maintenance.

I bought a low mileage, one owner car with a main dealer service history. I paid a lot for a 3 and don't regret doing so. I could have had a 4 for the same money but chose to buy the best 3 I could find and not a poor to average 4.

After having it for a year the only fault I have with it is the water in fuel warning which is easly solved and the only reason I haven't sone it is because I'll wait until the weather is better before I crawl under it.

It had faulty egr's when I bought it but warranty sorted that and when lockdown is over I'll have them deleted anyway.

I've had lots of Land Rovers and Range Rovers and Iexpect to spend money on them but so far this one has been good.

Post #220654930th Jan 2021 9:31 am
jetmech

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

With out a doubt the Discovery 3 has been the most expensive car I have ever run. I do all my own maintenance and repair, but it has still, by a long way, cost me more than the other cars that I own. The only caveat to that is that the other cars are older and less complex, they are a BMW e46 325i, MG tf, MX5, Fiesta MK6 and a Singer Chamois.
The Disco has had the oil pump, hpfp, front diff, front suspension arms, air suspension pump, both egr valves, both prop shafts, rear door lock, plus all the usual service items. It currently has a non functioning aux heater and an intermittent suspension fault. But it tows our large caravan with ease, so for now it stays!
 Simon.
2008MY Dicovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual 

Post #220655530th Jan 2021 9:50 am
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

A big, heavy, 4x4 with lots of gizmos and air suspension is going to cost a lot more than a Kia Picanto in maintenance, no doubt.

On a 'normal' car you won't have air suspension compressors or transfer boxes to be concerned with.
I found myself being much more concerned with maintenance costs on the LandCruiser Amazon I had before I moved to D3s.

There are really good suppliers of a huge % of the parts at good prices for the D3/4 and a fantastic bunch of people (many on here) who will give support if anything does go wrong, or for the regular tasks.

If a D3 is left outside the brake pistons will likely seize. A good condition battery is also a must for a D3/4.
If the sunroof drains, or the A-pillar covers, aren't sorted it'll start to have water collect inside which is never good.
In terms of rusting away the D3 seems to me to be one of the least likely to do so. Most chassis rust is surface. The main concern is the sills, especially if side steps have been fitted and where the (original, steel) brake pipes tend to rust inboard of the rear wheels and leak fluid.
I've tended to buy higher mileage cars as I like cars that have not spent most of their lives doing short trips or left standing.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #220655930th Jan 2021 9:55 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

All teething problems will have been solved by now and weak components upgraded to D4 spec, buy good and it will stay good. Good service record is a big bonus.
Main things to be aware of are;
Pre-heat glow plugs - good time to buy as you can check easily if they are working in cold weather- can be expensive
Any judder at 30-40 mph going uphill- torque converter, walk away.
Saviour rusting under rear sills-walk away.
06my-07my high risk of weak oil pump fitted- check if cam belts have been changed with documents to prove, due every 7years and 112k miles- very expensive.
Buy low tax one (pre 06my) in good condition and they cost little more than any other vehicle.
There are plenty available on this site that have been well maintained, but not all.
Good luck in your search Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #220656130th Jan 2021 10:10 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

They aren't cheap to maintain but maintained well with quality parts they can be very reliable.

My D3, which I owned for 14 years and 231,000 miles and used it for what it was designed to do, was the most stupidly reliable car ever, but I did look after it mechanically and used a fantastic independent.

However, these beasties are best used, they don't like sitting around. Also not everyone who has owned them before you will have looked after them so they can bleed you dry very quickly.

Bear in mind a 2005 D3 will be 16 years old this year with lots of electrics and sensors that can throw up all sorts of issues. A GAP IID is a must if you want to understand what's going on when it throws a wobbly.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #220656930th Jan 2021 10:48 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Are disco 3s really that expensive to keep?

goofy13 wrote:
are discovery 3s really that expensive to keep?

It would only be used as a second car occasionly for towing i thought that would be less expense but someone told me they dont do well not being driven.

D3's do not like longer stand still's without charging battery's constant...
the can have issue's and major work is body-off, that is what can make it expensive i tink..
you have to love it...

only for occasional towing use as a second car and reliable without expense, buy a Subaru (outback) 2.5 L or 3.0 L even...

i had 3 of them... loved them all, with only very basic maintenance, oil, filters, brake pads and disks.. and tyres.. all of the 3 i did have for more than 100K each, and all bought, witg approx 200K+ kilometers on them and sold them all in good condition, with 100K more on the dail... 2 of them still running fine, as the new owners happend to sent me update's, even after 9 & 5 years from now..

the two LR i had and have, cost signifficant more on maintenance.... but do love them also... i love off-road, woods and the higher seat position though
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #220664830th Jan 2021 3:46 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Most vehicles are expencive to repair these days.

If you are going to buy one keep some money back for reoairs dont overspend buying the vehicle, theres plenty of good D3s around with good service history.
I would plan to change the belts, oil pump and air dryer as soon as you get one to prevent future problems

Post #220665930th Jan 2021 4:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >