Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Disco 4 gearbox bang / clunk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4
Disco 4 gearbox bang / clunk

My D4 has done 65k miles its a 2010 plate and it has started to feel different when slowing down for roundabouts etc, it feels like I have a trailer on and I am being pushed from behind and more braking is required than normal, also when it changes down into 1st gear I sometimes get a clunk / bang as though someone has run into the back of me lightly just before it comes to a stop.

I have it booked in at Hunters Derby on Thursday for them to look at it, I have heard about a gearbox software upgrade and was wondering if anyone has had it done and did it cure the problem I am having

I have had the gearbox oil changed but it has made no difference at all

What do you lot think, is there more than 1 software upgrade and should the dealer know about this problem

cheers
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #146136020th Apr 2015 8:29 pm
shawn

mmmmmmmm I thought another member may have experienced this issue oh well I will take it in tomorrow and report back with the findings
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #146242422nd Apr 2015 9:43 pm
shawn

well my vehicle went into the local dealer and they said yep this will be a software issue so they did the latest upgrades etc and then rang me to say it was all ok so I drove 11 miles to collect the car paid my £160 bill drove off and at the 1st roundabout clunk so turned around and took it back.

Dealer said take a techy out to demonstrate the clunk so I did and techy agreed yep that is a definite clunk into 1st gear just before stopping so I left the car with them, got a call 2 days later saying car is all done and it was low on gearbox oil, I said it cant be as there are no leaks on the box at all and I changed the gearbox oil 2 months ago to try and cure this fault and we measured how much we took out and put the same amount back in and checked the level all was fine but they insisted it was low on oil and this was the reason.

So again I drove 11 miles back to collect the car drove off and sure enough 2nd junction from the dealer clunk went the box again so I rang them to tell them and they said I would have to leave it with them again. I declined as I don't think they really know what to do with it

So I am £160 worse off and my car is EXACTLY the same as it was, does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be

cheers shawn
Post #14692026th May 2015 11:04 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Did you drain and refill the box, or have it flushed?
Were the adaptive values reset when the oil was changed?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #14692106th May 2015 11:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shawn

No I just had the oil changed in the box I never had it flushed and no valves were reset, I did ask land rover about flushing the gearbox oil and they looked at me like I had 3 heads Shocked

I did send some one on here a pm about flushing the box but they live the other end of the country and I am in the midlands 4hrs from them Big Cry
Post #147657520th May 2015 8:49 pm
geoff.

England 

shawn replied to you

Post #147658420th May 2015 9:01 pm
shawn

Thanks Geoff yes just seen it and have replied Very Happy
Post #147691021st May 2015 6:12 pm
geoff.

England 

Thumbs Up

Post #147694521st May 2015 7:24 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

I had a 10 plate and certain serial nos had a fault with a brass bush in the gearbox which was inclined to fail at about 65 k if you do a search on here it should come up. May not be relevant but worth a look.
 D4  
Post #147799224th May 2015 10:22 am
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I did a search and nothing found. What brass bush are you talking about? Where is it located?Mine is a MY10 too. Confused

Post #147896526th May 2015 12:35 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

I think it was this post but its so long I never read it this time round worth a look for you though.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic108824....sh+failure

I not great with pcs or disco 4's as it turns out but will find it for you if the link does not work.
 D4  
Post #147902126th May 2015 2:52 pm
shawn

All sorted now had the full flush and valves reset by Geoff of this parish should have done it ages ago its like new again now
Post #154320711th Oct 2015 8:37 pm
twoakers

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Make sure that you claim back yer £160 from the main stealers Rolling with laughter
 Cheers, Dave in Essex
D3 07 TDV6 HSE
Clubs - Turbo changed, EGR valves replaced, General Grabber ATs, Hawkeye FC reader, Front/rear wishbones, manual gearbox change, autobox flush, cam belt change, HPFP belt change, oil pump change....
Coachman Laser 650/4 caravan
Amateur Radio Callsign - G8PAI
Playing with Big Boys Toys! 

Post #154321911th Oct 2015 8:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >