Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Disco 4 MY15/16 HVAC lack of Heating issue.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 13 <123 ... 910 111213>
Does your MY15/16 have
MY15 Yes
22%
 22%  [22]
MY15 No
9%
 9%  [9]
MY16 Yes
55%
 55%  [55]
MY16 No
13%
 13%  [13]
Total Votes: 99

Armpit

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto ArubaDiscovery 4
Update

Not sure if you have all seen my posts to date and the video (which is now on youtube

),

but I write this in complete dismay at the response from Landrover Customer services (after 11 days spread over 3 occurrences of dealers having my car)

Here is a copy of the response:

Dear Mr Armstrong,

I am writing to you further to our telephone conversation today, the 21st April.

On our telephone conversation, I have advised yourself that Land Rover as a manufacturer can confirm that your vehicle is working to the design intent.

I can also confirm that further to the video you have kindly made and advised myself of, this was reviewed by a Principal Engineer for Land Rover's Technical Assistance team.

As you are aware, Farnell Land Rover Nelson submitted a request to Land Rover for technical assistance where this was reviewed by two members within the team to assist as necessary. Further to this, as outlined it has been determined that your vehicle is operating as the system is intended to do so and there is no manufacturing defect with the heating and ventilation system present.

Our technical team have confirmed that the system has a sunlight light sensor which factors expected heat radiation from the sun, If there is sunlight on the right side of the vehicle cooler air maybe introduced to the right side of the cabin.

Further to the above our technical team have advised that should you be expecting heat at all times, to set the temperature to highest temperature. If you expect cool air, to then set the temperature to the lowest temperature . You can then override the blowing speed and this is how the system is designed to operate.

As I note your request for potential rejection, this would be required to be directed to the complaints team within Land Rover Financial Services who can be contacted on the details below. Should this be raised, please kindly make myself aware so I can contact the team accordingly.

T: 0800 151 2451 option 2

In the meantime, I will request that Farnell Land Rover Nelson raise the Quality Report for your vehicle in order for feedback to be provided for review via the official channels.

The above information regarding the operation of your vehicle is the stance offered by Land Rover as the manufacturer so should you have any further queries surrounding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

So it appears that a temperature difference footwell to windscreen of 12 degrees (14deg at windscreen and 26deg at floor level) is the design intent !..........from my side this is nothing but laughable and calls into question the design intent now - if indeed the statement that it meets the design intent is real and not just an attempt to fob me off. According to Landrover Customer services, there is no mechanism / process to question the design intent............so until I work out my next step, here I am with a £40k+ car that is not fit to take a journey longer than 20mins in without being very uncomfortable or dressed for the outdoors.

Any suggestions on how to move forward would be much appreciated........I am thinking that we need to do something as a group of people as this cannot be let to lie, it is a disgrace and Landrover should be ashamed of itself.

Thanks - Paul

Post #180639721st Apr 2017 7:51 pm
peteyd

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

lespes wrote:
My previous Landrovers have supplied a great heating / cooling system. Very rarely did the heat settings dial need changing.

My My16 is not so!

For me the main issue is no heat comes via the upper air vents, unless manually selected.

As no heat is coming out I find in particular the drivers side glass remains extremely cool, in the colder temps. If you rest your arm on the door or your shoulders are near the glass window it does seem to provide a much colder feel in the car than perhaps is the reality.

Our D4 is in for its first service, I've asked the dealer to look at the Auto / not hot air from middle vents issue. While it is there, they have lent us a Discovery Sport SE Tech. A quick test this evening suggests the DS has the same problem - the only way to get warm air from the middle air vents is to change it to manual.

Maybe the D4 is behaving as JLR intended after all!
 MY16 D4 Graphite in Loire Blue  
Post #180758724th Apr 2017 9:42 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Quote:
Maybe the D4 is behaving as JLR intended after all!

The heating system worked great from D3 / RRS 2004 never seen a complaint, but 12 yrs on Landrover manage to Censored it up, so if thats the case, it took them 12 yrs to get the orig design to work to its intent Rolling Eyes
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #180854627th Apr 2017 1:38 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

All my past cars with automated climatisation system worked like the video (BMW 3 & 5, Volvo V70 & XC90)...

It is a choice to increase the confort, more hot air from the footwell because the warm go up....

and too much warm on face area isn't comfortable ...

For me my MY2011 D4 is perfect.....

aren't the 2015/16 D4s working on the same way? or is the issue the capability to keep the confort?
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #180859027th Apr 2017 3:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nazca sand eddie

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

PETEYD..

I was just going to post that maybe you were correct in suggesting that 'warm from the 4 round vents' was never intended by Land Rover in auto mode.

Up till then ours had been the same, cold air only. BUT then today for first time since new in November 2015, we had warm air coming from the round vents.... one step forward equals two backwards with this vehicle!

Post #180863527th Apr 2017 5:54 pm
peteyd

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Got the D4 back earlier this week. They sent us home with badly-photocopied instructions on how the air con is meant to work. I've not had a chance to call them yet (the Mrs picked up the car and didn't ask any questions) but the indication is that the car is working as expected and that I don't know how to use it.

I still don't get why when in Auto mode, no warm air comes out of the rear vents. It is as though JLR don't like my kids either Smile

If the design intent is not to blast warm air in my face, I do sort of get that. But why would it be ok to blast cold air in my face if the temp dial is set to cool the car? Why not get rid of the dash vents altogether?

There is also the suspicion that when the outside temperature rises, the behaviour changes and in Auto mode, warm air does come from the middle vents. I'm still waiting for a warmer day to test this. Maybe the car is detecting a cold windscreen and redirecting warm air to the windscreen vents to counteract this?
 MY16 D4 Graphite in Loire Blue  
Post #180917028th Apr 2017 9:23 pm
BigT

United Kingdom 

Well been through this with JLR and it doesn't matter what the design intent is, or what temperature air comes out from where, the simple fact is the HVAC is not fit for purpose.

Plain and simple, the cabin temperature should match the settings when set on auto. Fact, set on auto the cabin is cold, you may have warm feet, but try and get a warm cabin and you get burnt feet. Perhaps the design intent was to mimic a LR Series 2a? If that is the case then they have down a fantastic job!!!

I have run cars with Climate Control since the 90s inc. Mercedes S Class, several Audis, BMWs etc. None have behaved like the D4.

Got fed up with the constant lame excuses from JLR and changed brand. Guess what? Temp set at 21 Deg C - car warms up and maintains a constant comfortable cabin temperature. I have now done 2000 miles and not adjusted the controls once.

Post #180940429th Apr 2017 7:26 pm
ITP

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Mine went in for yet another fix in April. Weather became warmer and it seemed OK but now Winter is here it is as bad as ever. My dealer tells me there is no fix so we just have to put up with it!
Appalling disinterest from JLR .
Guress where my next car will not be coming from!

Post #188526730th Nov 2017 8:39 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Same with my folks' MY16 Landmark, now winter is here it shows the "fix" didn't work. How can it be right that they have to drive any distance in a car that cost £55k with coats and hats on? Surely heating in a car is a pretty basic requirement, or does it show that with its new toys LR has lost interest and hope these customers will just suffer in silence until the warranty is up? Like they are doing with the crap surround cameras. If this doesn't get sorted LR will certainly loose them as customers when it comes time to change.

Post #188527930th Nov 2017 9:07 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have to say mines the same. The biggest disappointment in changing from a MY10 to a MY16 is that in the older one the HVAC worked perfectly to my taste on Auto and on the newer one it is utter rubbish. Whatever changes were made around MY15 to the HVAC have frankly completely messed it up and ruined it.

It coincides with the introduction of the humidity sensor by the rear view mirror; I can't help but think that has something to do with it.

Incidentally I noticed that sensor also measures the windscreen temperature which is used to determine when the heated front screen turns off whereas previously it was a simple timer.

Post #188532430th Nov 2017 11:11 pm
Somerset Bumpkin

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

If it helps I get around it by manually selecting all three vents (feet, face and windscreen).l and keep it like that. For whatever reason I then get hot air as per normal. Doesn’t fix the initial blast of cold air on start up but does fix the general poor heating when you’re up to temperature.

Post #188532830th Nov 2017 11:21 pm
MatR

Switzerland 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Zermatt SilverLR4

Same issue on my MY2016 Landmark. Very frustrating as my MY2014 was absolutely fine and Auto worked like it should. Now I have to play with the temperature setting and direction flow buttons constantly to achieve anything approaching a stable temperature.
Landrover have changed something that's created this fault. It should not be that hard to figure out what and reverse it. If I can't get it sorted, it will be my last Landrover product.

Post #18854001st Dec 2017 11:17 am
BigT

United Kingdom 

Mat

Well after having owned JLR products since the late 70s including numerous Land Rovers I have, after the heating issues and the arrogance of JLR, vowed never to spend my hard earned cash with JLR ever again.

I got rid of my new Disco 4 after less than 18 months of ownership and moved to another brand.

Interesting, I know of two others who have also done the same.

It is such a shame that JLR great their customers in this way, but ultimately it is then who will suffer.

Anyway, my new car is always at the right temperature and I have not adjusted the seatings 10 months. It defaulted the temperature perfectly. The parking heater is also far superior and the I always go out to a warm car that is fully defrosted.

JLR need to take note. There are better products out there, that are also better value for money.

Finally, it is a shame, but not a surprise, to see this thread go live again at the onset of winter.

Post #18854091st Dec 2017 11:37 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

So what did you go for BigT?
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #18855171st Dec 2017 4:48 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Had the HVAC looked at twice on my MY16, dealer reported all fine as far as they can see. We are constantly messing with the dials and it never gets proper cosy. Our 4 previous D3/4's all worked fine i could leave the dial on the last D4 at 23 for both sides and hardly ever touch it.

On mine I get a loud air blowing noise but hardly anything comes out the vents its as if the airs hitting something all the time.

Its pathetic.
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #18855251st Dec 2017 5:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 13 <123 ... 910 111213>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >