Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Disco journey possibly coming to an end for now.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Robbie260

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3
Disco journey possibly coming to an end for now.

So some back ground 2 weeks back this happened.

So the damage-rear bumper, trim off the tail gate, number plate, exhaust a bid dinged, and another dent in the rear end of my disco too add to the ones it came with and a tail light.

So insurance has written it off cat N so they have offered me £3500 as it had just gone through the mot and had 4 brand new tyres on it. So minus my £250 excess is only £50 short of what I paid for the vehicle. If I wish to retain it they take 40% of that value so I’m left with £1850.

Wondering what to do with it. I have a a new rear bumper sitting at home by chance and a new tail light, trim peice, alignment and new mot will set me back £200

It has 210000 miles on the clock and needs a new compressor, I have just gotten a new front valve block but haven’t fitted it yet, everything else works bar drivers seat heater rear parking sensors which I hope to fix with new rear bumper and the diesel heater. Car is running and driving fine. Had a new rad and independent gearbox cooler earlier in the year, as well as new driver seat base and cover, s model and auto. Has usual cairns blue balding on roof and bonnet.

Wondering if it’s worth keeping, getting back and selling either for parts or on the road again without ther dents fixed juts the trims, or just letting the insurance take it. It dose have a good bit of rust in the rear arches and sills. Is an early one with low tax. Any ideas what it may be worth. The vehicle has remained in my possession through the process due to some circumstances with my work the insurance agreed to let me keep it at my place.

Post #232461829th Jan 2023 9:41 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yupp, 3T a corner and some snow/ice , little bit too much speed and there she goes!

Been there with my D2 in Norway… same speed as the saloon cars, but the heavy LR did put the rear aside…

Apart from that…. I would take the full amount and buy another one, with everything working and maybe a little bit more luxury

Breaking it, does costs time, repairing it, time and money, which i would spend on a “new to me” one

Thumbs Up
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #232462629th Jan 2023 10:38 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Completely agree - especially if there is no great sentimental value to it. Saying adios to four new tyres will be painfull, but if you buy the replacement vehicle before they collect this one then...............
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #232462929th Jan 2023 11:07 pm
Robbie260

Well I do have two of the old tyres sitting at home that came off though I’m unsure whether or not the insurance would kick up a fuss as they have photos of the new tyers. Probably could scrounge up 2 more from my friendly local tyre fitters. Just had new disks fitted too. As for sentimental I’m a person that gets very attached to my cars so that’s always a hard one for me to be level headed about despite the fact I have only had it a year.

Post #232463229th Jan 2023 11:21 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Disks are not very expensive…

I know the feeling to let a vehicle go, BUT as soon as you have another one, with few extra’s maybe, you will love that one equally I believe

But we/others can not argue against or about love…. That are your feelings…..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #232463730th Jan 2023 12:48 am
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Disco journey possibly coming to an end for now.

Robbie260 wrote:

So the damage-rear bumper, trim off the tail gate, number plate, exhaust a bid dinged, and another dent in the rear end of my disco too add to the ones it came with and a tail light.

So insurance has written it off cat N so they have offered me £3500 as it had just gone through the mot and had 4 brand new tyres on it. So minus my £250 excess is only £50 short of what I paid for the vehicle. If I wish to retain it they take 40% of that value so I’m left with £1850.

Wondering what to do with it. I have a a new rear bumper sitting at home by chance and a new tail light, trim peice, alignment and new mot will set me back £200

It has 210000 miles on the clock and needs a new compressor, I have just gotten a new front valve block but haven’t fitted it yet, everything else works bar drivers seat heater rear parking sensors which I hope to fix with new rear bumper and the diesel heater. Car is running and driving fine. Had a new rad and independent gearbox cooler earlier in the year, as well as new driver seat base and cover, s model and auto. Has usual cairns blue balding on roof and bonnet.

Wondering if it’s worth keeping, getting back and selling either for parts or on the road again without ther dents fixed juts the trims, or just letting the insurance take it. It dose have a good bit of rust in the rear arches and sills. Is an early one with low tax. Any ideas what it may be worth. The vehicle has remained in my possession through the process due to some circumstances with my work the insurance agreed to let me keep it at my place.

if you have the ability to fix yourself then do it and smoke it about for another year at least you know the car
you buy anything newer then you will be paying £650 road tax on it,i run a 2005 and a 2013 one costs almost double to tax than the other really bugs me paying the extra as the difference between the two covers the service costs on the d3 but they weigh the same pollute the same and both spend most of there time sitting on the drive

as a side note i do actually prefer driving the d3 but do like the extra comfort/gadgets in the d4 and like yours my d3 is a "s" model so has a few extra bits fitted over and above the std "s" models
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #232465030th Jan 2023 9:08 am
gasdisco

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Click image to enlarge

When my Disco was written off 18 months ago it was classed as Cat S so I got 75% of the value.
The insurers didn't require an MOT or inspection and renewed at the same price recently, so the Cat S notation hasn't caused any issues- Cat S as the assessor assumed B pillar damage which was not the case but he said Cat S retention cost is 25% of vehicle value and Cat N is 30%. I got 75% of the agreed value and repaired for less than 10% of that but a damage notation on the V5c.
Your Cat N won't even noted be on the V5c.
 01 Discovery2 V8 LPG - Resting
96 Discovery 300 V8 LPG - Resting
91 Discovery 200 TDI - Sold
71 Range Rover (Perkins 4.203) deceased 

Post #232466130th Jan 2023 10:28 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Shocked Glad to see you got out unscathed!

If not attached to the car then get rid of it. Find yourself a new floozy to spend all your money on Very Happy
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #232466230th Jan 2023 10:46 am
Robbie260

Motolab wrote:
Disks are not very expensive…

I know the feeling to let a vehicle go, BUT as soon as you have another one, with few extra’s maybe, you will love that one equally I believe

But we/others can not argue against or about love…. That are your feelings…..

More they had just on the car 3 days before the accident. Cheers anyway.

Post #232469130th Jan 2023 4:02 pm
Robbie260

eightfoot wrote:
Robbie260 wrote:

if you have the ability to fix yourself then do it and smoke it about for another year at least you know the car
you buy anything newer then you will be paying £650 road tax on it,i run a 2005 and a 2013 one costs almost double to tax than the other really bugs me paying the extra as the difference between the two covers the service costs on the d3 but they weigh the same pollute the same and both spend most of there time sitting on the drive

as a side note i do actually prefer driving the d3 but do like the extra comfort/gadgets in the d4 and like yours my d3 is a "s" model so has a few extra bits fitted over and above the std "s" models

Cheers may do that must confess I agree I don’t like the way the d4 drives it just feels a tad odd to me.

Post #232469330th Jan 2023 4:05 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would take what they have offered (which I assume is the maximum they are prepared to offer) and start again. Have you taken the cost of replacing the compressor into account when working out what it would cost to sort the vehicle?

Post #232970310th Mar 2023 7:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >