Discovery 3 2006 stuck in low range
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dan020

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Discovery 3 2006 stuck in low range

hey all

1st time poster, short time lurker!

im after some help please, i bought a disco3 se 2006 a few weeks ago, came with loads of receipts for work thats been done, gearbox, clutch, belts etc, did all the research i could on it seemed a good deal, went and looked at it a couple of times, meant a 130 mile round trip every time, drove it each time for a good 40mins plus, apart from a few holes in the leather seats, a cost of £300 to fix, she seemed a good deal. seemed!!

she has broken already!! im stuck in low range, went to go to work monday morning i got the green low range flashing at me, DSC on amber and emergency brake assist is on amber. message on the info screen saysHDC fault system not available, transmission fault, system fault special programs not available ans special programs off.

so did some more research and found this a fairly common issue and was sometimes fixed easily, so i changed the brake light switch and battery no change, even when the faults were cleared. tried reversing for a while to see if that worked, read somewhere this can work, hard reset, checked all the fuses manually, checked all the plug points behind the battery and in the wheel well all looked good, clean no corrosion, nothing is working, worries me as its looking more and more like an expensive job

there were 6-7 faults 6 were to do with the terrain select, it not working im not surprised to see these, but the other was to do with a rear e-diff.

took it to one LR mechanic he cleared most of the faults but was the one who said he never seen the e-diff fault before, and said its probably electrical

so took it to another who said it wasnt even fitted with one and that its probably the ecu and its going to cost £550 to fix, not fussed about this, the garage i got it from is paying for this work
(reason for taking it to a 2nd mechanic was couldn't get hold of the 1st to book in with him, went on the missing list)

i was after some advice is there any more i can do to try and find the fault if its not the ecu. as the gargae was selling it on behalf of a friend of theres only found this out after, doesnt affect me asking for my money back but id rather the disco was fixed, but getting them to pay has proven argues to say the least.

ive checked as many of the plugs behind the battery and in the wheel well as i can all looked clean, no rust or corrosion, all the wires i could see were i good condition.

im absolutly gutted she broken down, ive spent my driving life, most of my life in vans, lorries etc, due to a health issues i had to change jobs this year, no longer able to work in construction, worked for my self for years, but had to take a paid job after having serious back (1 op), shoulder ( 3 ops ) and hip issues issues (extensive private physio).
this disco was a little present to myself for getting through the last few years, and now i feel i just wasted the last of my savings on her! i bought it so i can take the wife and 5 kids ( i have 6 kids but eldest has moved out) out all in one go instead of having to take 2 vehicles every time we go out or away on holiday, though the transit came in useful then, no luggage limit!! but she currently sits on the driveway looking pretty,
im no millionaire so was going to save a little each month to help with servicing and maintenance, but didn't expect things to go wrong so quickly. im getting "i told you so looks" off the misses, mates and co-workers currently

im also concerned as ive driven her to work for a week so worried ive damaged the air suspension bags

so any advice tips or tricks that might work would be greatly appreciated

im not stupid i know if it going to be a big job to let a trained mechanic at it, but i can do a bit on cars so not affraid to have ago at trying to fix it

cheers

Last edited by dan020 on 14th Mar 2020 7:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #212802914th Mar 2020 6:58 pm
dan020

Post #212803014th Mar 2020 6:59 pm
dan020

ok i am stupid just realised i posted in the wrong section, cant seem to post in the D3 section, can an admin move this please

cheers

Post #212804014th Mar 2020 7:28 pm
Kazik13

Poland 

Have you checked/cleaned 3x connectors on transfer case ECU behind battery?

Post #212806014th Mar 2020 8:27 pm
dan020

hi yes had them off all looked good all the pins where clean, 2nd mechanic said thats was probably the issue, he said water may have got in there, but all looked clean, no water marks, no sign of any thing untoward

Post #212807214th Mar 2020 9:09 pm
Sea Raider

What fault codes are coming up?

Post #212807414th Mar 2020 9:20 pm
dan020

hey

i didnt take a picture of the diagostic machiine and i dont have an IID tool,

was something like p180d or p186d that was the rear diff

i dont remember what the terrain ones were

edit: i didnt take a pic of the codes as i was worried at the time, well not to much, thought it was going to be a case of change battery, fit new brake light switch clear codes and all will be good, not the case!!

Last edited by dan020 on 14th Mar 2020 9:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #212807614th Mar 2020 9:24 pm
Kazik13

Poland 

Take look here... https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/p186d-u0416...72745.html

Post #212807714th Mar 2020 9:28 pm
dan020

cheers

yeah had that come up on the diagnostic machine but that 1 cleared with the brake switch being changed

ill have to be there next time it goes on, or ill get the mechanic to send me a pic if im not.

will have a look for the clutch actuator see if there any damage

i have the haynes manual but never has what i want to look at in it!!!

Post #212808114th Mar 2020 9:36 pm
Kazik13

Poland 

Ask Them to recalibrate transfer box clutch, IF you have rear diff locker recalibrate as well.

Post #212808214th Mar 2020 9:41 pm
dan020

genius's

https://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/lr3...page_2002/

all cleared, just been hammering around the area to rejoice

Post #212809614th Mar 2020 10:18 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

dan020 wrote:
cheers

yeah had that come up on the diagnostic machine but that 1 cleared with the brake switch being changed

ill have to be there next time it goes on, or ill get the mechanic to send me a pic if im not.

will have a look for the clutch actuator see if there any damage

i have the haynes manual but never has what i want to look at in it!!!

Haynes manual stopped being useful about 20 years ago.
They were great for making your own tools to repair things, now it is refer to dealer!

Post #212814215th Mar 2020 3:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >