Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

DISCOVERY 3 HANDBRAKE PROBLEM?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
dingdong1972

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
Could just be a faulty EPB switch. It should try to come on when you press the button.

You're 100% sure it's applying properly when you remove the ign key? (sorry, just checking it's actually operational)

What happens if you hold the EPB switch down whilst removing the ign key? (it should not try to apply itself)

Right just been driving round car park with people looking at me like I'm nuts lol.

Start vehicle up park brake is on, release park brake, drive off all good. Come to stop and apply park brake, yellow warning light now on, and the red light flashes at me, cannot hear anything trying to work. Switch engine off and remove key, park brake is now on.

If I press the park brake down whilst turning vehicle off then you are right the brake does not come on.

If I was to just ignore the fact that the park brake doesnt work and drive around like i normally do, then the yellow warning light comes on and stays on after about 30 secs.

A fault i can live with and have done, but worried that now it is MOT time, I dont think it will go through the handbrake test!

Many thanks
Karen

Post #76587823rd Feb 2011 1:48 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

unless you have a very kind MOT tester, then yes, you are right it will fail.

EPB Switch works to the Off position, but not to the On position.

So, I'd summise that it is possibly

a) Faulty EPB Switch (although works to off position) probably your cheapest check & you can replace yourself with a screwdriver
b) Actuator fault, although it works when it receives the right instruction! so possible, but not probable
c) Wiring issue. Either something is not connected properly, or there is a break in the wiring somewhere. This is possible as there have been reports of pin sized holes in some of the cabling which then corrodes the wires

Do you have another D3 owner nearby that you can swap the EPB switch with to check a)?
Did you have any other work done that may have disturbed other wiring?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #76588323rd Feb 2011 1:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
deugar

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3

I have EXACTLY the same issue with an 07 disco 3. Park brake shows a fault (flashing warning light and park brake light flash) and won't apply. However, when the car is turned off & key removed, the brake applies itself without incident - and disengages when switch is pushed.

In the potential fixes above you mention replacing the EPB switch. Is this available anywhere as all I seem to be offered is the whole system kit - switch, cables, etc. at a cost of over £400?

Post #8322146th Sep 2011 5:17 pm
discokirk

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Had my first EPB scream and will be following Bodsy's Bible in a few weeks to fix.
I have searched the forum for the thread dealing with an emergency release (for when it gets stuck) but can't get less than a thousand hits.
Can anyone please let me have the URL for that?
 06 Disco TDV6 HSE  
Post #8323436th Sep 2011 9:07 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31087.html?...e+%2Bcable

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #8323466th Sep 2011 9:13 pm
discokirk

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Many thanks Robbie.
Just for information it would be nice to know exactly what it is that actually screams like that?...... It happened just after I had made a deep crossing through very muddy water.
Bodsy are you on line?
I have read that the EPB should be serviced within a short time after an outing like that.
Does that mean removel of the rear disks and the opening and cleaning of the EPB drum and shoes?
I guess it is logical to have to do that.
 06 Disco TDV6 HSE  
Post #8324197th Sep 2011 7:08 am
Splitpin

My switch has just failed the same, it needs a firm pull to get the brake on now but just a tap to put it on.

A tap up and the fault lights come on.

New switch time.

Post #8324217th Sep 2011 7:21 am
Discoed

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

simon wrote:
You can also hold down the EPB switch at engine off to stop it engaging.

Can't do this with mine - it ALWAYS engages EPB
 D4 2014
1965 Land Rover series 2A (200Tdi) 

Post #8324257th Sep 2011 8:05 am
Discoed

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Bodsy wrote:
there have been reports of pin sized holes in some of the cabling which then corrodes the wires

?

I had this - in testing for an earlier fault someone had probed the loom near the EPB module with resulting broken and corroded wires. Caused a range of strange faults. I recall that four wires just above the connector onto the EPB module had to be fixed (by BAS) Thumbs Up .

My symptoms got worse in damp weather. LR dealer was useless in trying to trace this faulty, they seemed to have no notion of investigation Rolling with laughter
 D4 2014
1965 Land Rover series 2A (200Tdi) 

Post #8324267th Sep 2011 8:11 am
Chucky200

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Land Rover after 3 weeks finally sent me a letter saying my park brake problem is MY FAULT as I didnt let them rob me of $1500 to change the brake pads and who ever did change them MAY have caused the problem! Ha.

They also say I never had it serviced - well Land Rover I did - but refuse to get RIPPED OFF by you and then have to do my own repairs anyway!

I have had it with these guys - If anybody wants to start a class action I am happy to put in the $2000 odd I need to fix the brake and use it to sue these b Censored ds ! What say you???

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=287...mp;theater

Post #8913991st Feb 2012 6:57 am
LC

France 2006 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
handbrake - grrr

Very happy to find this stream, less happy to now be a disgruntled member of your gang.

Had it up to my ears with the dealership in Bordeaux. Totally useless and a disgrace to the Land Rover name. When I called with the yellow flashing light + alarm problem, the mechanic told me that he would talk be through how to momentarily "fix" the problem by yanking on a cable because he was overworked and couldn't take my car in !!! Nay way I'm yanking on a cable as I know that they'll then say its my fault that its broken.

Has anyone been in touch with Land Rover HQ about this ? I love my car but really don't want to be taken for a ride every time something goes wrong. There's an obvious electronic issue but the garage has repeated ignored it - suspension problem, main braking system problem, GPS randomly going on and off and changing language without anyone touching the screen, braking down for no reason other than apparently being "low on battery" and now the hand brake.

Any advice ?

Post #95883725th Jul 2012 3:28 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

So, have you replaced the battery? Whistle
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #95897525th Jul 2012 9:42 pm
Chucky200

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hey LC

This site has a MOUNTAIN of knowledge and information. Stuff you wont find anywhere else - even the reality of BAD NEWS about Land Rover.

As far as advice with the Stealers, persistence is your only weapon from my experience. Keep a diary of all occurrences, photos as well and conversations.

I am in Australia and went to head of Land Rover here, followed by UK Land Rover and even wrote to (wait for it) TATA! Same response at all levels - they got their money from you for the car and happy to take more to fix it. Otherwise " Censored off".

What I can say though, if you change your battery go to a battery dealer and get them to give you the BIGGEST and most powerful battery you can fit in the allocated space. I remember we were changing batteries every year for 3 years - these babies suck the life out of them because of all the electronics - and when the battery is low it WILL trigger a Censored load of faults.

Post #95902326th Jul 2012 1:10 am
aureliab20gt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Screeching handbrake

Hi all, I'm new to this site.
My EPB screeches only when key is removed from ignition, but works fine using the handle and when parking up normally.
anyone else experienced this?
ps.........currently using my old absolutely trouble free 300 TDI
Alan.

Post #100243912th Nov 2012 8:25 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds like it needs an adjustment Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #100245312th Nov 2012 8:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >