Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Discovery 3 not starting correctly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MDOL

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Discovery 3 not starting correctly

Hi all, I have bought a 2007 Discovery 3 HSE 153500 miles, it need's some work done and there's one thing I can't figure out:
Both key fob's have damaged button's so I need to get new fob's, but it's not starting correctly and I don't think it's a fault with either of the key fob's, I'll try describe what is happening, and it's happening with both key's/key fob's, and I put a brand new battery in the disco as it was parked for about 6 month's with no battery.
If I put the key in the ignition, foot on brake pedal, and turn the key, engine won't start. Turn the key back and it won't come out of the ignition. If I turn the key in the ignition to position 2, turn on the light's, turn the key back in the ignition, the key comes out of the ignition only 25% of the time.
If I disconnect the battery for 5 or more minutes and then reconnect, foot on brake pedal, turn the key, it still will not start. Transmission in P as it won't come out of P.
I took off the gear stick top (it's an auto) and removed the surround to get at the tab to press to allow putting the transmission in N, so if I disconnect the battery for 5 or more minutes and then reconnect, foot on brake pedal, put the transmission in N and turn the key, the engine will start.
I have changed the brake light switch as I read online this could potentially be the problem with it not coming out of P but it made no difference.
Could I have fitted the new brake switch wrongly?
Have looked but am sure it's right.
Would appreciate any input into this.
Thank's in advance.

Post #234183611th Jul 2023 5:01 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

HI

Its worth filling out your profile - is it a Manual or Auto??

Do you get any message on the LCD screen like transmission fault if you start the car and try to drive it if you leave the lights off?

If its an Auto its worth looking to see if the linkage for the Gear selector is corroded and seized - the car might be not seeing the correct signals to allow the car to start - the fact it allows you to release the key with the lights on might be a clue as I have seen the linkage adjustment be a little off and had exactly the same issue on my old D3 Auto.

After the linkage was sorted no more key release issue and no more transmission fault message with mine.

If you do a search on the site for transmission linkage you will see how to clean up the old one if its corroded, but its not an expensive part to replace the bits.
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #234183711th Jul 2023 5:23 pm
MDOL

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,
I only joined this afternoon, I thought I had filled in my vehicle detail's on my profile, I'll check it.

Yes, it is an auto and all re: the gear linkage might be on the right track as the vehicle has sat for about 6 month's, or longer, so its possible the linkage is stiff. Yes, there is a transmission fault warning coming up on the dash sometimes, I cant remember exactly when, I think it is when trying to start it when it's in park.
I will check all this out.
Thank you for your reply.

Post #234185611th Jul 2023 8:27 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/autobox-gea...ar+linkage

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #234189012th Jul 2023 8:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >