Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Discovery 3 V8 owners? how many left!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 58 of 60 <123 ... 57 585960>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Some were on comparison sites and some weren't , oh wow, funny enough just noticed that with u saying about London, must confess living in kent I thought it would have been the same as my D3 , I’m 56 , full licence since 1986

Post #22980761st Jul 2022 7:08 pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The RRS has a truly dreadful theft record, it was roughly 4 times as much to ensure her RRS as the D3 and twice as much as the ipace (although the IPace excess is much higher)

In fact all the keyless entry cars are a joke to ensure because the keyless entry is, well, a joke

On the V8 topic though I really wouldn't trust how many left at all the swansea computer system was a sack of garbage in the mid noughties and registration forms were still on paper at the time

I'm having the devils own job to get mine listed properly as what it is not what it was registered as. I had the same problem with my D2 as well - that was registered as something that didn't even exist ever
 05 D3 V8 HSE, LR Passion tree bars, wildbear compressor guard, LRP switch panel, ARB rear locker + compressor, Trigger 6 shooter electrical system
12 RRS SDV6 HSE (Hers) - Gone and replaced with an I Pace - I can tell you now EV is not the future yet
Metalian Camper trailer 

Post #22980801st Jul 2022 7:29 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Funny enough one of the insurers mentioned that regarding the wireless key systems

So if I did get one would see if it’s possible to turn the wireless key system / stop- start off, plus an extra alarm think it was called Ghost ?

Tracker wise was advised to fit a class 5 plus Smartrack

At the end of the day don’t know how much it reduces the premiums

Sorry to hear that , hope u get it resolved without too much hassle

Thks again

PS, the FFRR L405 look very nice

Post #22981112nd Jul 2022 2:56 am
DP123

Well, D3 ownership appears to be going true to form. The car is with RR London in Battersea after a series of electrical woes and sinking suspension overnight. The diagnosis was a dead battery, a dead alternator and a dead compressor. Looking back through the (frankly ridiculous) history, it seems like these are the only two major items that have never been replaced. And, well, batteries are just a fact of life.

That little lot, with inner London labour rates, came to a shade over £2k. Luckily the car was bought from a dealer with a great reputation, and he's covering the cost (and probably rueing the decision to sell a D3).

That takes the total spent on 'recommissioning' the car to roughly £5k all-in. Hopefully that at least gives me a fighting chance of having a few trouble-free months.

Here it is with my plugin hybrid Volvo (a much better car for London).

And here are a couple of photos showing the generally excellent condition. If I can find the time, I'll start a thread.

Post #230184128th Jul 2022 8:07 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Completed yet another 10k with the vehicle and to celebrate emptied another can of BG 44k into the tank. Even the fuel prices have come down. I filled up today with 98E5 for 2.04 e/liter..

Cheers all V8s Thumbs Up

Post #230789917th Sep 2022 1:40 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
D3 V8 with LPG coming up for sale - I'm gauging interest !

Hi, I've had this faithful D3 for 3 years now, a good runner, not hammered; I like gentle driving, mostly motorways.

YE54 VAM - please see the basics at DVLA - https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla
165k miles

I've driven V8 D3s for 10+ years now, this is my 3rd. Selling because I just bought a D4 V8 5.0 RHD Japan import, hoping that will keep me rolling until I can afford a new Defender worth owning. Meantime PLEASED with the D4 !!

I need to get a couple of silly faults fixed on the D3, and a decent valet done before posting in "For Sale" with photos (no serious faults, it remains a good runner and no dents !). Amazingly, this car is (I believe) London ULEZ-compliant; not checked this recently, I live in Scotland now but I do travel south a few times each year.

So, posting here just to flag the upcoming sale for anyone looking for a reliable D3 V8 LPG wagon over autumn and winter.

I'll list properly in "For Sale" with full details when ready to sell.

Post #230866425th Sep 2022 8:01 am
maccers

England 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

kajtzu wrote:
Completed yet another 10k with the vehicle and to celebrate emptied another can of BG 44k into the tank. Even the fuel prices have come down. I filled up today with 98E5 for 2.04 e/liter..

Cheers all V8s Thumbs Up

How do you find the BK 44K? I've been thinking about putting some fuel system cleaner in recently - the first in her 150k miles

Post #23094822nd Oct 2022 8:52 pm
kajtzu

First, I have no hard data. Laughing Thumbs Up Never opened the engine so I can’t say whether there is residue or not.

BG 44K does have a good reputation and there is even a JLR LTB for using it with the 5.0 liter V8 as a remedy/preventive measure.

The engine does feel better immediately after but it could just be the feeling since I know I’ve put a magical potion in the tank. I don’t have any issues with the engine, either, let’s keep it that way….. Mr. Green

That said, it costs 29 eur including VAT 24% so it isn’t very expensive. The place I buy it at swore they fixed some old Ford vehicle to almost new condition by putting it in.

Post #23094842nd Oct 2022 9:42 pm
kajtzu

Did some small miscellaneous jobs today when it is still above freezing daytime (and nighttime) to prepare for winter.

Put silicone on all the door seals to prevent them from freezing and fusing together with the door once they get wet.

Got rid of an annoying creaking sound from the upper tailgate by putting silicone grease on the plastic parts that touch the body. Seems I got to do this every year.

Cleaned the windows from the inside of dust and whatever to prevent (reduce) condensation (= eventual freezing). The view outside is now like there wouldn’t be a window in between at all Thumbs Up

Need to change the oil soon but weekends are very busy right now…

I’ve had the vehicle for slightly over 5 years and I still like it immensely.

Post #23094862nd Oct 2022 9:49 pm

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Got myself a V8 as well, it's a 2006 with 200k miles on it, but runs nice and no real issues at all. Will treat it a full service and see what the future brings for it.

Defender 110 SE 2021, Tasman Blue
Discovery 1 V8 ES 1997, Epsom green
Discovery 3 V8 HSE 2006, Bonatti Grey
Range Rover V8 1983, Sierra Silver 

Post #231610623rd Nov 2022 10:49 pm
MintyHit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: D3 V8 with LPG coming up for sale - I'm gauging interest !

KPTV8 wrote:

So, posting here just to flag the upcoming sale for anyone looking for a reliable D3 V8 LPG wagon over autumn and winter.

I'll list properly in "For Sale" with full details when ready to sell.

Nope but I'll take your D4 5.0 V8 off your hands when you find that new Defender you are looking for. Smile

In other news: My D3 V8 just hit 195,000 and still runs and sounds like new car.

Anyone actually had an AJ engine fail on these? What tends to go?

Post #231613224th Nov 2022 10:29 am
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Latest "how many left"

And here is my new addition

Am working my threw a few jobs before it becomes the wife's daily ulez exempt car.

Post #231969921st Dec 2022 10:23 pm
kajtzu

Re: D3 V8 with LPG coming up for sale - I'm gauging interest !

MintyHit wrote:
Anyone actually had an AJ engine fail on these? What tends to go?

They’re quite solid… I’ve been curious about the same and regularly check Land Rover forums (.com) where the Americans talk shop. Seems mostly problems with overheating, losing coolant. And some bank too lean and nobody seems to want to diagnose those since cars are all rather cheap over there. A gunked up PCV valve doesn’t seem to break things but causes weird effects until replaced.

The D4 V8 and SCV6 have huge problems with overheating (engine is pretty much toast in that instant), chain tensioners which have been subject to some recall and class action settlements, etc.

Post #231970921st Dec 2022 10:44 pm
kajtzu

Passed inspection. No notes this year. Thumbs Up

Post #232073931st Dec 2022 5:29 pm
Lrstaylor

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Nice 1 Thumbs Up

Post #232075031st Dec 2022 6:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 58 of 60 <123 ... 57 585960>
Jump to: