Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Discovery 4 Commercial Modification
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
scottd007

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

wiggs wrote:
Can't check now as I'm not home ... But I'm sure the window kit is cheaper than the motor on its own Shocked

Could you let me have the part number for this if possible?

Post #93462323rd May 2012 3:22 pm
developmental

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

What's missing from the Disco 4 commercial in terms of safety features, air bags etc?
Phil

Post #94137212th Jun 2012 4:17 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

AFAIK it's just the rear side 'curtain' airbags which would normally serve the rear seats - everything else is as standard.
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #94141212th Jun 2012 6:36 pm
Speedsix

United Kingdom 

"Can't check now as I'm not home ... But I'm sure the window kit is cheaper than the motor on its own"

Can anyone help with the part numbers for the window kit?

My new commercial is due to be delivered any day now, and I'd like to get the windows working asap. Thanks in advance.

Post #97081229th Aug 2012 4:37 am
J4CKO

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Just posted this in the mail forum...

A recent tax ruling that a Land Rover Discovery provided to an employee for work use should be taxed as a car rather than a van is an “unacceptable” application of benefit-in-kind rules on company cars, according to ICAS tax director Derek Allen.

In a recent ICAS tax podcast Allen highlighted the First Tier Tax Tribunal case Jones v Revenue & Customs [2012] UKFTT 265 that turned on the classification of a Land Rover Discovery as a car rather than a van.

The appeal was brought by a mobile technician working for Jaguar Land Rover, who was supplied with a new Land Rover Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 GS Auto for work purposes.

The vehicle had been modified to carry engine components and tools as a mobile workshop, but HMRC determined that it was a car available for his private use. Jones was hit with an assessment for roughly £2,600 in income tax.

The rear seats and seat belt fittings were still in, but tool boxes fixed above the seats made them unusable. HMRC argued the vehicle should be treated as a car as the modifications were not permanent, nor substantial enough to have altered its original manufactured construction.

Section 115 of the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003, states that a car “is not a goods vehicle”, whilst a van “a vehicle of a construction primarily suited for the conveyance of goods or burden of any description”.

In his podcast, Allen said HMRC’s application of the benefit-in-kind rules on company cars was “going beyond the boundaries of what is acceptable”.

The Jones case shows that even though the employee’s enjoyment of the car would be minimal, the benefit in kind charge was considerable, giving employers who provide vehicles to staff “food for thought”, Allen said.

The case also generated interest in AccountingWEB’s company car discussion group. There was some debate over the merits of Land-Rover Discoveries versus Defenders, but “oldmanwetmix” was less sympathetic than Allen to the case of Mr Jones.

Modifying cars and calling them vans is “one of the most common examples of clients trying it on after listening to the pub/barstool amateur accountant”, he commented. “If you want a van, why not buy a van?”

James Mitchell went back to the specifics of the case and argued that Land Rover lovers could satisfy their motoring urges and HMRC’s criteria for tax relief.

“Rules for the Land Rovers do already exist,” he posted. There is a qualifying commercial Discovery range, and a Utility Pack option is available for 110 models that would allow them to be classed as commercial vehicles.

Otherwise the Land Rover is a car, he wrote, unless sufficiently modified to qualify. “Though I suspect it may invalidate your warranty if the modifications are not agreed with Land Rover.”

Post #97536410th Sep 2012 11:13 am
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

It would appear that the real nub of the argument here is the fact that seats were fitted when it left the factory - thereby making it a car.

The Commercial is produced by Special Vehicles and, whilst I feel for the chap involved, have to say that the main blame would appear to lie with LRJ who seem to have provided a car to fulfil the requirements of a van but left the employee to pick up the bill...

As I have said before, and will continue to say... if you want a Commercial, use it as such and then take the van benefit with a clear conscience... don't try to reverse engineer something into an almost-car!
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #97553610th Sep 2012 5:24 pm
Landyash

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If it helps I have both complete rear electric window motors with and loom out of a Disco 3,if it can be modded?
Just let me know.
Ash

Post #97568310th Sep 2012 9:51 pm
Speedsix

United Kingdom 

Just took delivery of my 2012 D4 Commercial yesterday, a month late, but worth the wait.

Had the rear door panels off to remove the ABS plastic panels this morning, which was relatively straight forward. But LR have changed the way in which they isolate the window mechanism. Up on removing the door panel, the wiring to the motors is all in place and connected, there I was with my new motors ready to connect in the missing socket Crying or Very sad, so if you have a 2012 or later D4 Commercial don't get replacement motors for the missing connector, as previously posted for earlier models.

Now the question is this: the motors are definitely connected, when you operate the window button, you can see movement of about 2-3mm, then stop. So we have power and a small bit of movement, does anyone out there know what to do next, there is obviously something obstructing the downward movement of the side glass.

Any ideas or if you've already done the mod, please let me know. For those looking for info on how to get the door panels off, I took a few pics when doing mine, I did try to post the images here, but failed, go to https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3JtdOXmGKyxsV

Post #98365530th Sep 2012 10:39 am
Mr Billy

United Kingdom 
rear windows

I have removed the plastic from my windows, but the whole window looks to be glued in, as there is the black glue down the side of the window. Im not sure how you go about getting that out!

Post #98381230th Sep 2012 5:06 pm
Speedsix

United Kingdom 

If you take the door panels off you can then remove the old surrounds to the window, and replace them with new ones, the glue you mention is just stuck to the surrounds rather than to the glass. I have the part numbers somewhere if you need them.

If your Disco is the same as mine, you'll see that window moves 2mm or so, then stops, hopefully someone has found away of releasing them?

Post #9840531st Oct 2012 8:50 am
Nizmo

United Kingdom 

Bump, I will be taking delivery of a 2013MY D4 later this year or January and would also like to know how to 'un-freeze' the windows.

Post #98770910th Oct 2012 12:27 pm
garyemms1974

what are the best rear seats to put into a discovery commercial, any reccomendations, and how do you free up the rear windows?

Post #99114718th Oct 2012 3:33 pm
stumpy

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If anyone is getting rid of the commercial kit in their conversion please let me know Thumbs Up
 110 XS Utility
D4 HSE MY15
TD5 90HT
D4 HSE MY12
D3 HSE MY56
D3 HSE MY55

Do more with your 4x4 Join www.volunteer4x4.org

If it moves funk it, and if doesn't, funk it till it does 

Post #99115518th Oct 2012 3:54 pm
Ajm77

Re: Kit

This post has been edited by the site administration team

Please ensure your post complies with the For Sale/Wanted Rules

Not eligible to sell items - requests are to established members who meet criteria only

Post #99186820th Oct 2012 12:02 pm
Speedsix

United Kingdom 
Read Door window operation post 2012 D4 Commercial

Bump Really. Has anyone managed to get their 2012/13 rear door windows to work. A reminder of my original post:

Had the rear door panels off to remove the ABS plastic panels this morning, which was relatively straight forward. But LR have changed the way in which they isolate the window mechanism. Upon removing the door panel, the wiring to the motors is all in place and connected, there I was with my new motors ready to connect in the missing socket, so if you have a 2012 or later D4 Commercial don't get replacement motors for the missing connector, as previously posted for earlier models.

Now the question is this: the motors are definitely connected, when you operate the window button, you can see movement of about 2-3mm, then stop. So we have power and a small bit of movement, does anyone out there know what to do next, there is obviously something obstructing the downward movement of the side glass, I'm guessing LR have inserted some pins to stop the glass going down.

Any ideas?

This post has been edited by the site administration team
merged

Post #103220110th Jan 2013 10:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >