DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Discovery 4 corrosion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Oscarsball

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Discovery 4 corrosion

Hi all.

After a bit of knowledge regarding a problem my son has with his D4.
He purchased a 2015 HSE about 10 months ago from a Land Rover dealer as an approved 2nd hand. Only had 15,400 miles when purchased. It was due a service 2 weeks ago so because of dealer wanting over £800 I told him to go to the independent Land Rover centre I use for mine and also my Defender.
Anyway to cut a long story short they have done service but advised him there is a lot of corrosion to the chassis and also to the front drive shaft faces. The description used was not what they would expect to see on a 4 year old car but a 8 to 9 car. They also said highly doubtful that this has just appeared in 9 months and that they would have expected it to be picked up on the inspection they are supposed to do to all approved used cars. He is naturally not very impressed after spending a lot of money and less than a year after buying found this out. He has contacted the dealer 7 times now each time being told they have noted problems and someone will be back to him, which so far no one has. He has also emailed so there is a record and again someone will come back to him.
I seem to think that all new Land Rover came with a 7 year anti corrosion warranty. Would anyone be able to confirm this and also if that is the case surely an approved used car from a main dealer should have the remaining warranties transferred with the sale.
Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Post #20513217th May 2019 8:57 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

ISTR it’s an anti-perforation warranty (5 years rings a bell) and about as much use as a chocolate teapot. There have been a few threads here re similar, prob worth a search. Thumbs Up

Post #20513247th May 2019 9:24 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I bet the selling dealers never even looked underneath it ........ ‘Approved Used’ with LR dealers, means they did nothing more than wash it, and place it on the forecourt. Rolling Eyes
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #20513277th May 2019 9:32 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Discovery 4 corrosion

Oscarsball wrote:
Hi all.

After a bit of knowledge regarding a problem my son has with his D4.
He purchased a 2015 HSE about 10 months ago from a Land Rover dealer as an approved 2nd hand. Only had 15,400 miles when purchased. It was due a service 2 weeks ago so because of dealer wanting over £800 I told him to go to the independent Land Rover centre I use for mine and also my Defender.
Anyway to cut a long story short they have done service but advised him there is a lot of corrosion to the chassis and also to the front drive shaft faces. The description used was not what they would expect to see on a 4 year old car but a 8 to 9 car. They also said highly doubtful that this has just appeared in 9 months and that they would have expected it to be picked up on the inspection they are supposed to do to all approved used cars. He is naturally not very impressed after spending a lot of money and less than a year after buying found this out. He has contacted the dealer 7 times now each time being told they have noted problems and someone will be back to him, which so far no one has. He has also emailed so there is a record and again someone will come back to him.
I seem to think that all new Land Rover came with a 7 year anti corrosion warranty. Would anyone be able to confirm this and also if that is the case surely an approved used car from a main dealer should have the remaining warranties transferred with the sale.
Any advice would be great.

Thanks

First clean the underbody with hot water/steam cleaner

Second, a good application of
Click image to enlarge

And then an good application of
Click image to enlarge

Also using this
Click image to enlarge

for apply the Dinitrol products inside the chassis/frame, body boxed section

Thats all!

I have done it on my Defender 90 10 years ago and it's still 100% rust free.

And I have done it on my Discovery 4 XXV last year (just few day after I bought it).....

6-8 cans of RC900 and 10 cans of 4941

Money well spent!!!
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #20513347th May 2019 10:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL

Ukraine 

Or don’t worry about it. My D3 was RAF (rusty as Censored ) well before she popped her injectors & turned up her mortal springs. There are bigger and more expensive things that will kill a D3 or D4 long before the tin worm has even gotten into its stride. Thumbs Up

Post #20513407th May 2019 10:38 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I would want to see the invoices for all previous services to check the mileage, not merely the service record.

Then, come what may, I think JLR should sort this out.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #20513427th May 2019 10:40 am
DSL

Ukraine 

They may use the get out of jail free card as it was serviced outside the stealer network.

Post #20513447th May 2019 10:42 am
Oscarsball

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi

Thanks fir all the replies. The service etc was all done by the dealer that sold it it and the online service history does show everything ok. My view is for the money he spent buying it then they should sort it.
The problem now is typical Land Rover customer service. He has said this morning that unless he receives a call back today he is driving to dealers and will be very loud when explaining the issues in their nice posh showroom

Cheers

Post #20513477th May 2019 10:48 am
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Any photos? How corroded are we talking here? Perforated or surface?
Surface rusting on front facing chassis parts is not unusual even on a 2015 car.

Once it's sorted with the selling dealer, as has been mentioned, get a suitable underbody coating on it. Waxoyl springs to mind, many other are desperately over rated and expensive for what they are.
Have a read and then make a choice.
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #20513497th May 2019 10:58 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Warranty is 6 years and only covers body panels .....ISTR Discos of pretty much any age can appear corroded on the chassis but it is generally nothing more than light surface rather than structural. Plenty posted on here with similar worries over the years.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #20513537th May 2019 11:03 am
DSL

Ukraine 

As he sez. ^^^ Thumbs Up

Basically it’s a LR, it’s born to rust. It’s what they do. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Though that might be the mojitos speaking. Cheers all. Hic! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #20513677th May 2019 11:37 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

I would get somone else to look and see what they say first before worrying
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #20514627th May 2019 8:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Don’t worry about the rust you can see, that is very easily cured, it’s the rust you can’t see that does the damage, brake pipes get them greased or wax oiled, remove the plastic rivets that hold the sills on and give them a good dose of old engine oil(not while the car is on the drive Thumbs Up ) this is all normal maintenance that an enthusiast proud owner will carry out.

p.s. I never ever buy a car without getting on my knees or back if necessary with a torch and look underneath, the ugly part is just as important if not more so than the pretty part Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20515058th May 2019 7:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >