Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Discovery 4 purchase advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Silverous

United Kingdom 
Discovery 4 purchase advice

Hi, thanks for all the input on this forum. I had always thought I wanted an X5 but got a feeling that they had insufficient space in the back so was surprised to find myself looking at a Discovery 4 Landmark a few weeks ago. Loved it but if I'm frank the "farm" image and potential lack of desirability was putting me off a bit.... so I test drove a BMW x5 40d yesterday. No doubt it was an awesome machine, it pulled amazingly and was I'd say more modern inside than the Disco but biggest problem was that we put the two child seats we have in the back and that was it - not enough space for my wife to sit comfortably between ! So to cut a long story short we're back to a Discovery. The Landmark seems to have been sold, I am now tempted to try to get a 2012 model of some sort - still need to confirm that SWMBO can park it (we have SMAX currently) and that the rear seats are big enough to sit an adult with a child seat either side. Alongside that we need to find one....the one we were looking at was new (delivery miles) and around £44k which seemed to be about the lowest priced landmark I've seen. I can't justify spending 50k+ for a 2012 MY HSE.

Being tempted by 2012 model (8 speed box, funky rotary knob etc.) and wanting reversing camera, I'm thinking about speccing up an XS model....what would I miss from HSE if I went for the below? Not sure I can wait for delivery but maybe I can find a an ex-demo or cancelled order with less of a wait?

LAND ROVER Discovery 4
EXACT VERSION:
SDV6 XS Auto MY2012 5 Door
NEW LIST PRICE:
£44195 (New Car, On The Road )
OUR DISCOUNT PRICE:
£40877 (New Car, On The Road)
YOUR COLOUR:
£540 Colour - Metallic Santorini Black
INTERIOR TRIM:
£0 Upholstery - Leather, Ebony
YOUR OPTIONAL EXTRAS:
£477 Navigation system - Premium...
£734 Electric Seat and Armrest Pack: ...
£1125 Premium ICE - Harman/Kardon LOGI...
£207 Roof rails - extended, black fin...
£639 Xenon front lighting with LED si...
£149 Accessory - Interior - Carpet ma...
£443 Accessory - Wheels - 20-inch 10-...
£160 Accessory - Exterior styling - B...
£454 Veneer - Grand Black Lacquer doo...
£914 Surround camera system: five cam...
£364 Privacy glass to rear of B post...
GRAND TOTAL:
£47083—All Inclusive Price (Includes 20% VAT)

Thanks,

Silverous

Post #8808228th Jan 2012 11:10 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

When I brought my first D4 I was in the same mind, however when I specked it up, it was getting close to the HSE, in the end we went for HSE, got a better deal, all the HSE options including premium leather heated seats front and back etc When you come to sell you will get the extra money back on the HSE you spent in the first place, sure enough that is whta happened when we sold it. Just my thought process Whistle
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #8808959th Jan 2012 8:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

The D4 does look like a big vehicle and so people often imagine it will be hard to park and to drive in congested areas. The actual driving experience though makes the vehicle far easier to drive and park than you (or your wife) would imagine. The excellent visibility that comes with lots of glass and command seating position, together with clear corners, superb power steering, good turning circle, parking sensors and reversing camera all combine to make this a very user friendly vehicle. My wife and several of her friends drive D4's and do so with great ease. I would go so far as to say a D4 is an easier drive and parking vehicle than either an X5 or an S Max.

As regards HSE versus spec'd up XS. We have an HSE and our neighbours got an XS (having been life long BMW drivers until they tried our D4). Their XS is a fine vehicle and certainly doesn't feel under specced inside - until you try an HSE. Our HSE has premium leather, electric seats, heated seats, full sun roofs and a few other less obvious but nice to have luxuries that make it feel "premium". My suggestion is that you wont go wrong with a D4 - so get what ever vehicle you can source. Then a year or 2 later trade up to the vehicle spec you really want. Depreciation will be bearable and you will then know you have made the right vehicle choice and will also know what spec you really want.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #8809119th Jan 2012 9:38 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #8809179th Jan 2012 9:52 am
Silverous

United Kingdom 

Many thanks for all the excellent input, I figured most of the things listed about HSE could probably be spec'd on XS (except premium leather) but I presume that would make it more expensive than a HSE otherwise no-one would buy HSE !?

Please keep the great thoughts coming!

Post #8809299th Jan 2012 10:19 am
Peely

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

I am going through the exact same decision at the moment, well until I sat down with the dealer yesterday !

Went in looking solely at the XS but after checking details the HSE wins hands down I'm afraid, when we ticked option boxes on the XS it came to just shy of £47k and when the dealer said " always consider that come trade in time or sale time the XS will always be valued as an XS !"

When we looked more closely at the spec of the HSE as standard it already included many of my options already plus, heated rear seats, full sunroof, premium leather, keyless entry etc and with less than £1500 in options ticked, full surround cameras, adaptive zenons, high beam assist, privacy glass, and an HSE on the drive instead of an XS !

I believe that if you shop around an HSE can be bought with a decent discount already, and if not yet, soon will be ! Wink

Post #8810489th Jan 2012 2:33 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Silverous...

Can't help much with your predicament but would suggest that you sepak to Martin Altenbach at Marshall's in Bedford as they are reasonably close to you...

He supplied my D4 and has done a number of other Commercials and has always been absolutely spot on!

Good luck
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #88180010th Jan 2012 10:15 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

New D4 HSE built to order £46,838 here on the road Wink

http://www.buyacar.co.uk/land_rover_discov...3404.jhtml

Post #88181210th Jan 2012 10:23 pm
Jeremy

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Discotres wrote:

Quite amazing discounts! anyone used them? their leasing and PCP deals seem good value

Post #89125831st Jan 2012 8:42 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think their supplying dealer for Land Rover is Marshalls, all new vehicles ordered come from main dealers.

Post #89126431st Jan 2012 8:46 pm
Peely

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Jeremy wrote:
Discotres wrote:

Quite amazing discounts! anyone used them? their leasing and PCP deals seem good value

Check with your local dealer, whatever the broker can do, you can do with the dealer, and often better ! Wink

Post #8914691st Feb 2012 10:39 am
row_perfect

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Watch out with buyacar I had a very bad experience with them - very long wait and then they pulled the order the week of delivery... twice.
 D4 HSE, Active Rear Diff, surround cameras, adaptive xenons, heated steering wheel, TPMS, remote park heating, centre console cooler box
Club MT/R
Club RLD spare wheel protector
Club Sump plate & tree slider
Club Blackvue HD

Post #8914781st Feb 2012 11:05 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I have been looking for a good deal to replace our Sept 2009 D4 HSE for a new one and have been surprised at how many vehicles are available today in dealers showrooms or in March or April on fully reconfigarable vehicles. Looks like the dealer network have over committed to vehicles that remain unsold at present. These are just the vehicles that large discounts can be negotiated on or the brokers will source for you.

Mind you, a good dose of winter weather may cahnge this position quite quickly.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #8927404th Feb 2012 7:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >