Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Discovery 5 Si6 or sdv6 ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Slug

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Discovery 5 Si6 or sdv6 ??

Anybody tried one compared to the sdv6 disco 5?
It looks to me as though JLR have dropped the model!!!
Only do around 15,000miles/year, mostly short journeys so I’m wondering whether this might be an option??
Some decent deals available on some with low mileage.
With the lack of alternatives the D5 is growing on me!!! Or you I wait for the Defender launch?? Or Merc GLS
Cheers
Simon
 Still lurking, although moved to the dark side: disco5.co.uk
2019 D5 HSE
2019 Baby RR First Edition 

Post #202239725th Jan 2019 10:17 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Si6 got dropped as an engine in Europe, yes. Since I’m running a D3 V8 it seems like JLR did all over again the same they did back then - drop the petrol and go with diesel only. 14 years later the petrol heads are happy with their old vehicles. Thumbs Up

Not that I know anything but as the sdv6 engine is the same as in D4 and diesels, even the ones that do not exhibit snapping of cranks, are relatively unpopular... I’d go with petrol.

The GLS (old GL) is a nice yummy mummy car. Mr. Green

Edit: if you need a vehicle today, buy it today. Don’t wait for something that might or might not meet your needs.

Post #202240525th Jan 2019 10:47 pm
Pelyma

England 

It doesn’t make sense does it, manufacturers saying diesel demonisation has caused sales to fall off a cliff yet they no longer sell petrol engines in Europe when they sell them elsewhere.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #202244226th Jan 2019 8:30 am
jimbg

United Kingdom 

There are a couple of Si6 owners on the Disco5 site, probably best to ask there?

Post #202244326th Jan 2019 8:36 am
Slug

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Is the sdv6 (306hp) that they are putting in the D5 now the same as the old sdv6, or different.
I thought it came from the RRS.
 Still lurking, although moved to the dark side: disco5.co.uk
2019 D5 HSE
2019 Baby RR First Edition 

Post #202244726th Jan 2019 8:51 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
It doesn’t make sense does it, manufacturers saying diesel demonisation has caused sales to fall off a cliff yet they no longer sell petrol engines in Europe when they sell them elsewhere.

I completely agree with you. It doesn’t seem to make sense at all. I think the following factors contribute:

- people still want to buy diesels rather than petrol vehicles (or at least more) because of range, price of fuel, they like the tractor sound - I mean, who knows right? Mr. Green
- vehicle emissions; there are limits on average CO2 across all manufactured vehicles that must be met or the manufacturer will be fined with penalties. Selling more petrol vehicles means higher emissions... so it’s a necessary business decision mandated by public policy [1] Whistle

[1] https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars_en (search for penalty on that page)

Edit: that emissions dictated by public policy (so “sell diesel”) at the same time conflict with public policy of reducing use of diesel everywhere (so “diesel is bad”) is also insane Thumbs Up

Post #202244826th Jan 2019 8:59 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Pelyma wrote:

They do sell petrol engines Whistle You can buy an Si4 which is a 300bhp, 400nm, 125mph, 0-60 in 7.3sec, petrol in a D5 Wink

The Ford based Si6 was dropped due to the need to meet stringent emissions across the range... the ingenium petrol is more efficient for little lost performance and an ingenium straight 6 shouldn't be far away.

Post #202246426th Jan 2019 9:49 am
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Slug wrote:
Is the sdv6 (306hp) that they are putting in the D5 now the same as the old sdv6, or different.
I thought it came from the RRS.

They are all the same engine if 3.0l. Just mapped differently to give different power. But the same twin turbo 3.0l.

The D4 TDV6 3.0l was the same twin turbo engine, but the early D5 TDV6 was the same engine, but with a single turbo.

If I was buying a 3.0l D5, the twin turbo SDV6 is the way to go Thumbs Up They don’t seem to be suffering from oil dilution issues like the single turbo units from what I have read

I think Ken on here had a petrol one. Maybe he can advise

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #202247726th Jan 2019 10:56 am
Pelyma

England 

DG wrote:
Pelyma wrote:

They do sell petrol engines Whistle You can buy an Si4 which is a 300bhp, 400nm, 125mph, 0-60 in 7.3sec, petrol in a D5 Wink

The Ford based Si6 was dropped due to the need to meet stringent emissions across the range... the ingenium petrol is more efficient for little lost performance and an ingenium straight 6 shouldn't be far away.

Presumably the 6 cylinder will have decent torque figures which seems the biggest problem with that engine only matching a FL2 and a big problem when towing which must be a massive market for the car, but maybe the torque that the V6 diesel has isn’t possible in a petrol?

Post #202249326th Jan 2019 11:14 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I would think the inline 6 petrol will have several output levels ..equivalent petrols rarely match the torque level of a diesel. Not sure on the direct comparison to the FL2 as that was a different engine but it's rated to tow 3000kg and let's remember that the D3 only had 440nm of torque and that seemed to tow fine.

Trouble is matching the 2021 emission level requirements while going through significant change is not ideal...I'm relatively pleased to see that they seem to be speeding up the production facilities for mass hybrid and electric ....they did miss the boat on that previously for sure.

Post #202250926th Jan 2019 11:48 am
Pelyma

England 

Freelander 2 could only tow 2000kgs. Hadn’t realised the SDV6 was such a step up in torque tbh.

Post #202252326th Jan 2019 12:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >