Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

DIY CarPlay upgrade - good but DVD region issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
beanoir

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I wouldn't expect the CarPlay environment to work with the steering wheel buttons, but I agree that would be great

Post #233420622nd Apr 2023 7:19 pm
andy_j

United Kingdom 

Hi Stumacher,

Did you ever get a reply/resolution to your original question?

I got a very similar box for my Disco4 HSE Luxury [with Bosch infotainment] last Xmas [link below]. Was really pleased with it [and with myself, as I did the whole install on my own]... especially finally having GoogleMaps (via CarPlay) to replace the OEM Nav.

At first I thought the only disappointment was track skipping not working on the steering wheel... but have since learned to just shout "Hey Siri, next track!"

HOWEVER then we went on the first long journey with the kids...

I threw a load of DVD movies into the car, and put the first one on... => Region code error. Then another... same thing. And another.

So did the whole return trip with no movies for the kids... and when I got back, I dug out a DVD disc that had "Region 0" coding. Even that didn't work.

My initial guess at the time was that - in having had the battery disconnected for 30 hours while I installed it - the car must have lost some of its Region settings. But a few chats at the LR garage made me think not.

Now my guess is that the optical disc drive cable goes through the box, and the box is not doing HDCP handshakes/passthru properly (i.e. at all)... and that is why it is not working. I knew a bit about HDCP from my job back in the early 2000s... which is what triggered the thought.

I'm hoping someone (you?!) has fixed this problem properly, and can tell me how to fix it. Especially because we have a long journey between Xmas and New Year, and I want to have it sorted.

In the meantime, I ordered a DVD Burner on Amazon to plug into my laptop, and am going to see if I can find a 'Plan B' by ripping DVDs and removing the HDCP protection.

I tried ripping a DVD the other day when the burner arrived, and putting the file on a *USB stick*, and plugging that into the front USB socket... but it didn't work. [Note: There are a few other threads (on the topic of ripping Movies to DIVX or AVI files, and burning them onto discs or loading them onto USB.)] The whole system is very picky about file formats. Other issues I've read about are that movies played from the front USB don't transfer to the rear screens... and the sound from movies played from the back don't come out of the car's speakers. But yesterday I found a post suggesting that Raw AVI files ripped to DVD should play from the front slot. We'll see.

I haven't lost hope that someone has a proper solution. But my guess is that these cheap aftermarket boxes don't have the smarts inside to do the job of handling HDCP properly. And I really can't bring myself to pull the dash off again (and don't want to loose CarPlay).

https://xyingly.com/products/isudar-carpla...tsId=12497
 2013 Discovery 4  
Post #235449530th Nov 2023 12:49 pm
gedaso

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

glassjaw wrote:
I thought I had a dud unit initially, after 2 minutes, the LR system was defaulting back to the home screen - there was a time out setting that needed turning off.
[/img]

Anyone else have this issue with the connection timing out after a minute or two, and returning to the old LR screen? I've got the same problem, but can't find any "time out settings" to change.

Post #236429614th Mar 2024 4:08 am
Skully

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

andy_j wrote:
Hi Stumacher,

Did you ever get a reply/resolution to your original question?

I got a very similar box for my Disco4 HSE Luxury [with Bosch infotainment] last Xmas [link below]. Was really pleased with it [and with myself, as I did the whole install on my own]... especially finally having GoogleMaps (via CarPlay) to replace the OEM Nav.

At first I thought the only disappointment was track skipping not working on the steering wheel... but have since learned to just shout "Hey Siri, next track!"

HOWEVER then we went on the first long journey with the kids...

I threw a load of DVD movies into the car, and put the first one on... => Region code error. Then another... same thing. And another.

So did the whole return trip with no movies for the kids... and when I got back, I dug out a DVD disc that had "Region 0" coding. Even that didn't work.

My initial guess at the time was that - in having had the battery disconnected for 30 hours while I installed it - the car must have lost some of its Region settings. But a few chats at the LR garage made me think not.

Now my guess is that the optical disc drive cable goes through the box, and the box is not doing HDCP handshakes/passthru properly (i.e. at all)... and that is why it is not working. I knew a bit about HDCP from my job back in the early 2000s... which is what triggered the thought.

I'm hoping someone (you?!) has fixed this problem properly, and can tell me how to fix it. Especially because we have a long journey between Xmas and New Year, and I want to have it sorted.

In the meantime, I ordered a DVD Burner on Amazon to plug into my laptop, and am going to see if I can find a 'Plan B' by ripping DVDs and removing the HDCP protection.

I tried ripping a DVD the other day when the burner arrived, and putting the file on a *USB stick*, and plugging that into the front USB socket... but it didn't work. [Note: There are a few other threads (on the topic of ripping Movies to DIVX or AVI files, and burning them onto discs or loading them onto USB.)] The whole system is very picky about file formats. Other issues I've read about are that movies played from the front USB don't transfer to the rear screens... and the sound from movies played from the back don't come out of the car's speakers. But yesterday I found a post suggesting that Raw AVI files ripped to DVD should play from the front slot. We'll see.

I haven't lost hope that someone has a proper solution. But my guess is that these cheap aftermarket boxes don't have the smarts inside to do the job of handling HDCP properly. And I really can't bring myself to pull the dash off again (and don't want to loose CarPlay).

https://xyingly.com/products/isudar-carpla...tsId=12497
I've been told the DVD unit uses the LR NAV system in the boot to establish the region it's in. With the OEM Sat Nav disconnected and replaced with the new box it can't check the region so you lose the DVD player which sucks. Be interesting to hear if there's a way around it or to get the new system to allow streaming from your phone instead.  
Post #236482820th Mar 2024 3:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >