Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Door card protection.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Door card protection.

I've just had the drivers door card replaced under warranty, for the 2nd time, because where I rest my right elbow wears a smooth sticky patch.

It's the same problem as the steering wheel (although I now have the 2010 version which is brilliant Very Happy ) I'm convinced it's from the slight built up of heat, on the long journeys that I do. I certainly don't dip my elbow in aftershave, suntan lotion, diesel etc. which are some of the reasons suggested by LR for the steering wheel issue.

Anyway, what I'd like to do is to protect the new door card with something that will prevent it from happening again.

What I need, is a patch of preferably clear film or similar that can be easily removed without damaging the door card, which I'll put on the area where my elbow rests.

Any ideas?

Thanks, LT.

Post #46094830th Apr 2009 6:47 pm
NJF

Wink

Post #46095730th Apr 2009 6:58 pm
chris ace

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

love your sense of humour njf

Post #46107930th Apr 2009 9:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

find a vehicle wrapping company near you and get a piece of clear vinyl off-cut from the skip. If you get a bit of matt finish, it won't be too obvious.

I'm sure the sun makes the interior hotter than your elbow Whistle Maybe it's something weird like when motorbike clocks melt - it usually turns out to be the sun reflecting in a wing mirror and melting the clocks Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #46109830th Apr 2009 9:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

How about autoglym lifeshine interior protector - part of the "pdi kit".

JKP any comments on effectiveness?

I used it on mine from new (2 yrs now) and can confirm that it hasn't damaged anything ... whether it makes any difference or not I really can't be sure Laughing
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #46113130th Apr 2009 11:10 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #46113630th Apr 2009 11:17 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

90BHP wrote:
find a vehicle wrapping company near you and get a piece of clear vinyl off-cut from the skip. If you get a bit of matt finish, it won't be too obvious.

I'm sure the sun makes the interior hotter than your elbow Whistle Maybe it's something weird like when motorbike clocks melt - it usually turns out to be the sun reflecting in a wing mirror and melting the clocks Thumbs Up

Thanks 90, I'm just not sure how to secure/stick anything on to the door card without causing damage when I remove it.

Of course the sun is hotter, but it's the same problem as on the pre 2010 steering wheels. Except in the case of the door card, my elbow is nearly always covered by the sleeve of my clothing, but I don't drive in gloves.

The wear is exactly where I rest my right elbow, so isn't being caused by any reflection.

So I think that its the combination of pressure & a small amount of body heat, coupled with poor quality trim.

My dealer TH White (cue whistling emoticon from Character Wink ) have noticed the problem seems to occur more with owners who like myself regularly make long journeys.

AndrewS, what is that product in your pic.? I'm guessing it's the factory protection. Perhaps it's possible to use it to cover just the top of the door? But where can you buy such stuff?

Post #4611711st May 2009 2:07 am
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

there was a discussion on drivers door arm rests here ..
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic19914.h...p;start=15
not sure if the product is available in the UK

Post #4612071st May 2009 8:24 am
LT

Thanks TAZ.

I do remember that discussion, iirc the products were from the US.

I have thought about such a thing, but they all sit above the level of the door top, thus raising the height, which I don't want (being 6ft 7").

Post #4614161st May 2009 4:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >