DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Door mirror heater issue.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ogru

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Door mirror heater issue.

Hi Guys,

I had this problem for some time now. Last year when we went on a winter Euro trip I noticed the door mirror don't de-frost.

Last week I got myself IID tool and I got two faults from it related to the door mirrors:

Quote:
DDM-Driver Door

B1164-15 (6C) Right mirror heater output - General electrical failure - circuit short to battery or open
( on 09-06-2018 09:15:28 at 128304 km )

PDM-Passenger Door

B1163-15 (6C) Left mirror heater output - General electrical failure - circuit short to battery or open
( on 09-06-2018 09:15:28 at 128304 km )

Any idea what's wrong with it?

Any help appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Ogru

Post #195271211th Jun 2018 10:55 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

99 percent the heating element will have gone open circuit, remove glass and using a multimeter set to ohms, out the probes in the element plug a reading of zero means glass is duff.

Post #195281611th Jun 2018 5:05 pm
Ogru

Thank you for your replay.

Will try to test today.

Post #195306412th Jun 2018 10:51 am
Ogru

lynalldiscovery wrote:
99 percent the heating element will have gone open circuit, remove glass and using a multimeter set to ohms, out the probes in the element plug a reading of zero means glass is duff.

So the glass element is OK I can see 100 Ohms, I plugged it the glass to the external power source and its heating up Sad

I looked for a fuse for the side mirror heating but I can't see one in the manual fuse description.

Any idea where to look next?

Post #195418315th Jun 2018 3:17 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry from here on in its gets messy, Iirc theres two plugs just inside the door top behind the card (two plugs for folding/memory/heated units), then they go through the rubber door to a pillar grommet, I would start with them two places first, would be good if you could find out the heater wire colours in the door to make it easier at the gaiter.
I dont know if its easier to check for power to the door from behind the passenegr side kick/cover plate in the footwell?

Powerful UK has some decent vids on yourtube ref door cars/mirror removal.

Post #195418615th Jun 2018 3:27 pm
cosmic329

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have a 2012 D4 and both heated mirrors failed on mine last winter. I think it still may be the glass rather than the wiring as a fuse blown would not give those errors in the IID I think. Are you getting a voltage reading at the mirror connectors when not connected to the mirror? The difficulty is that you need it to be cold to diagnose it as the mirrors only heat below a certain temp - 8 degrees rings a bell...

Mine both failed where the L shaped connector glues to the mirror (the bit that the wiring plugs on to). It was not obvious but they corrode behind the connectors and start to pull away from the mirror. After I unplugged and replugged the connectors on, one of my mirrors worked for a while but eventually failed again about a month later. I bought 2 heated mirror glass from ebay for about £12 a mirror (not genuine) and they have been great.
 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE '65 - Projects in planning phase!

Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE '61 - gone
Discovery 3 Tdv6 HSE '56 - gone
Defender 90 Tomb Raider '51 - gone
Defender 110 XS '54 - gone 

Post #195419115th Jun 2018 3:38 pm
Ogru

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your replays.

I have opened the door and traced the cables from mirror to the DOOR CONTROL MODULE ECU BH42-14D617-AA. I have checked the cables all the way to the mirror and back from the module and it looks OK. I can see the reading on the meter. I also double checked the mirror itself re-connected to external 12V power source and it heats up melts the ice very quickly.

I started thinking it might be the module it self so I bought used one on ebay but the problem is that the module is assigned to the VIN number f a car so it doesn't work. I also cant find an option in IDD tool to reconfigure the module Sad

Post #195762027th Jun 2018 12:18 pm
Ogru

cosmic329 wrote:
I have a 2012 D4 and both heated mirrors failed on mine last winter. I think it still may be the glass rather than the wiring as a fuse blown would not give those errors in the IID I think. Are you getting a voltage reading at the mirror connectors when not connected to the mirror? The difficulty is that you need it to be cold to diagnose it as the mirrors only heat below a certain temp - 8 degrees rings a bell...

Mine both failed where the L shaped connector glues to the mirror (the bit that the wiring plugs on to). It was not obvious but they corrode behind the connectors and start to pull away from the mirror. After I unplugged and replugged the connectors on, one of my mirrors worked for a while but eventually failed again about a month later. I bought 2 heated mirror glass from ebay for about £12 a mirror (not genuine) and they have been great.

I just bought the 2 heated mirror glass from ebay will try that just to be sure Wink
Thanks

Post #195762327th Jun 2018 12:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >