Hi

Has anyone fitted a Plugg-it Drive-it powerpack to a D3
It is a plug in jobby.
Where is the plug that it goes into please
I have a 2007 (o8my) 2.7 tdv6

Cant get hold og the retailer until Mon

Post #40843524th Jan 2009 5:06 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Well worded question, Roger!

There may be some on here who would have been very tempted, if your question had been "where should I stick it"!

It's a bit difficult to read the Dutch website to find out how the beastie works, but most folk on here support a re-map rather than a plug-in.

Can't help with the plug-in location - sorry!

Andrew
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #40843824th Jan 2009 5:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Reading Dutch is not so difficult for all of us. If you give me the url I'll be glad to do some translation.

Wiljo

Post #40844824th Jan 2009 5:58 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi, Wiljo!

My aim was to read

http://www.dieseltuning.nl/Extra-Vermogen/...eltuning-0

to find out if the Plugg-in worked by altering data inputs or by altering data processing. Asking Google to translate such a page usually results in a kind of "English" which is less meaningful than the text in an unknown language. Sadly, Dutch is not one of my languages.

Andy
Post #40848524th Jan 2009 7:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Right then.

These guys offer 3 ways of tuning, being:
Powerpack - placing an extra chip in engine management system before fuel pump.
EODB tuning - overwriting ECU variables
CHIP tuning - should be clear

Rogern is talking of powerpack, so I'll just translate that bit.
+++++++++++++++++++
POWERPACK

Tuning by placing a pre-programmed chip as a bypass in between existing 'plugs' to release extra power.

Pros
- Not visible in diagnostics by your dealer. Can be transferred to another vehicle at few costs. Available for all brands and types ECU (Denso, Delphi, Siemens).
- Car can be restored to original specs by simply removing the unit.

Cons
Visible in engine bay, can release max 96 (does not say what, probably percent) of the extra power.
+++++++++++++++++++

I have done some reading on the underlying principle. My English may get a bit shabby here as this kind of technical language is not exactly taught in school (even in 9 years of language training).

The powerpack is a chip which is placed somewhere in the engine management. It filters the fuel pump pressure value and tells the ECU a lower pressure. The ECU therefore increases the pump's outgoing pressure to match with what it is considering normal. The result is more pressure in the common rail system or a higher outgoing pressure from the fuel pump.

Now I'm not an expert on engine principles but what I don't get out of it is how you can increase the intake of air. The mixture should remain the same, just increasing the amount of fuel going into the combustion chamber isn't going to do the trick whereas the ECU is led to think it is working with a lower pressure... anyhow, it seams to work so I'll no longer worry about that.

On the website of dieseltuning, several possibilities are given for different engine types. I don't know which ones apply to the 2.7 TDV6 but in all situations either pressure is increased or duration of fuel injections is prolonged, both resulting in more fuel being injected into the combustion chamber.

A few observations that I want to mention:
- chip tuning is more expensive but also gives a better result. Not sure about warranty here.
- website of this company, which is a dutch company, at some point looks like it has been translated by Google or so... style errors, typo's, sentences not ended, etc. Very unprofessional.
- I have not found any negative feedback using google for 10-15 minutes, except for this:

It is claimed that the system measures pressure and the pressure increase is carefully calculated every split-second. Elsewhere on the internet it is said that the pressure is just increased by a constant factor resulting in a dangerously high pressure at some points. Someone also claims that turbo's broke because of this tuning, although no evidence it had to do with the tuning. Also, these are people with rather small cars/engines like VW Golf or Ford Focus, trying to get from 90 BHP to about 140 and testing results on the circuit -> begging for trouble if you want my opinion.

For the Landrover D3 2.7 TDV6 you go from 190 to 220 BHP and torque goes from 440 to 475 Nm.

Hope this helps Wink

regards,

Wiljo

Post #40852124th Jan 2009 9:16 pm
AndrewW

Thanks, Wiljo,

I am surprised that Those of Greater Knowledge have not arrived here yet, but what I have been given to understand is that remapping forces the CPU to differently process all the variable inputs across the full dynamic range, whereas chips give false input data to create altered output data; they are not linear in response and do not cope as well with multiple variable inputs.

Power and torque claims are similar, apparently, and I've not seen a disaster posting, SO.... as ever you pay your money and you take your choice.

Thanks for the translation - your English is excellent.

Not that you have got your answer, Roger. I am sure Someone will be along with the direct answer.

Andrew.
Post #40865425th Jan 2009 1:22 am
wvlenthe

@AndrewW
glad to be of help and thank you for the compliment on my language.

@Rogern
Your question is where is the plug it goes into... there is none.
The box that gets installed, depending on which version, is wired so that the fuel pump feedback goes through this box into the ECU.
It does say (more times than I like Wink) on the site that it is *very* easy to install *by a dealer* and takes very little time. Therefore, the cost involved is low.

regards,

Wiljo

Post #40876725th Jan 2009 2:53 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

All any plugin box can do (other than a complete ECU chip replacement) is increase injection time thereby overfueling. This can lead to incomplete burning, increased turbo wear and EGR valve clogging or DPF overheating.

A remap can do much more with reprogramming according to many sensor inpuuts (Oxygen, boost pressure, fuel pressure, inlet & exhaust temperature etc.) and control functions for fuel / air mixture and timing (a remap can advance timing) turbo boost etc. Subsequently a remap, if done properly, is much better for your machine as awhole and can give better torque / power profiles. Remember, its not about pure numbers, but delivering power / torque consistently over a wide band width to improve driveability.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #40906426th Jan 2009 1:01 am
wvlenthe

Hello Dick,

I think you are right.
The website of dieseltuning.nl claims they limit themselves to the injection pressure or duration because also considering other variables will make the calculation/evaluation involved too complex...

As a personal interest, how does the turbo suffer from increased wear, what is the effect that causes this?

regards,

Wiljo

Post #40910626th Jan 2009 6:35 am
RR38HANS

Belgium 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

higher power output = higher exhaustgas temp. = hotter turbo = lubrication problems = BANG !!!! if not done properly.

If you want power, only remap is an option in my opinion, with a rolling road test and exhaust gas temperature monitoring.
 05 TDV6 HSE AUTO 7seats, tonga green/alpaca, alpine roof, privacy glass, tow kit, wood kit, 20" stormers n summer, 18" in winter, fancy exhausts, rear seat ent., club fooked turbo!

RANGE ROVER 1995 SOFTDASH (sold)
RANGE ROVER 1997 P38 (sold)
TRIUMPH TR6 OD
LOTUS EXCEL SE
AUDI A2 TDI 

Post #40932326th Jan 2009 3:24 pm
wvlenthe

Right... that clarifies the stuff I found (1 site) on turbo problems after tuning.
Thanks!

Wiljo

Post #40953026th Jan 2009 8:19 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If all isdone properly, values remain within tolerance and should be no problem. A good remap can adjust more and still remain within engine tolerances.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #40969626th Jan 2009 11:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >