Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

drivers door open message - suspected broken wire - solved
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kelman70

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
drivers door open message - suspected broken wire - solved

As title I've got a constant drivers door open message which is not allowing me to lock the car and the interior light is staying on.

I've done a search on here and have taken the latch out and dismantled and checked the microswitches and they are making contact/switching.

many cases speak of a frayed wire causing the issue, but I've pulled out all the wiring within the door panel and had a look in the flexi section that goes between the door and a-pillar. nothing looks frayed or damaged.

Can any one tell me the usual location for a broken/frayed wire? and also can anyone tell me the location of the connector where the door wiring meets the loom inside, I had a look behind the panel under the dash but looks like the wiring disappears behind the set of connectors closest to the plastic trim panel??

Also is there any way to bypass or temp fix this issue as i have a trip to Fortwilliam at the weekend where the car is going to be parked up for a few days and don't fancy coming back to a flat battery .

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Martin K

Last edited by Kelman70 on 27th Sep 2019 9:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #208337012th Sep 2019 6:59 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

The wiring inside the door bends down under where the windows lowest position when down. It should be taped to a bracket that holds it clear but the tape gets old and lets go, allowing the cables to chafe. The other issue could be a work hardened wire in the rubber boot from the door to A pillar.

The door to body harness connector is right on the A pillar behind the rectangular rubber boot (door side) and the body side requires the kick panel to be removed and is behind the other connectors. It can be a PITA to put back together (worse on a late Disco 4).

Have you located the door open micro switch? Not sure where it is on a Disco 3.

Post #208337312th Sep 2019 7:14 pm
Kelman70

Thanks for the info.

as far as I'm aware the two microswitches within the latch assembly are the only ones, I've checked both of them and are working. its a strange one as I've even connected up the latch and attempted to trick it into thinking it was locked by pressing the microswitches manually and it still doesn't turn the warning or the interior light off.

Think i'm going to have to check all the wiring and rule that out. The tape inside the door is intact and no sign of any chaffing/fraying so will check for broken wires and take it from there. I have a replacement latch ordered but its been delayed so won't get it until next week, but i have a feeling it might not fix the issue anyway.

Martin

Post #208339512th Sep 2019 8:15 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

What happens if you lock the car manually from the inside?

Post #208339812th Sep 2019 8:17 pm
Kelman70

I'm not 100% sure as it all happened when i was away offshore, my wife said it would often lock no problem but the interior light would come on whilst driving and then when she stopped she couldn't lock the car, she said she had locked it from inside one night and when she came out in the morning the battery was dead so i 'm guessing that the interior lights stayed on and drained the battery.

hopefully the battery will have a full charge by tomorrow and can do a bit more investigation

Post #208340812th Sep 2019 8:40 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

As a temporary measure, I think you can lock the door from the inside, switch off the interior light and then exit through the passenger door and lock the car.

Post #208346212th Sep 2019 11:15 pm
Kelman70

Yeah I think what I’ll do as the car will be sitting for a few days is disconnect the battery and lock the drivers door from inside and then lock passenger door with the key.

Going to call the local dealer today and see if they have a latch as the wiring looks in good condition and would like to rule the latch out before I start pulling the loom apart.

Martin

Post #208350713th Sep 2019 8:24 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It would still be worth checking the connector on the driver side panel at bottom of "A" pillar as it has been known to lose connections. You could pulse the lock wires from there to check door wiring.

Post #208351213th Sep 2019 9:13 am
MarcusD3

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I've got the exact same problem with mine, we have had to leave it open all the time. Would be very interested to know how you fix yours.

Cheers

Post #208367713th Sep 2019 8:07 pm
Kelman70

well i finally got to the bottom of the issue, ordered a new latch assembly and it never solved the problem so started to buzz the wires out on the loom. Long story short i ended up having to remove the door to get the loom disconnected from the A-pillar but found a few corroded pins in the connector cleaned them up and everything is working again

martin

Post #208392614th Sep 2019 8:20 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

You don’t actually need to take the door off to remove the connector. If you close the door to 1/2 closed the connector can be manipulated. Did you find the door heavy? You soon realise how strong these cars are when you start taking panels off. 1 door weighs the same as my wife’s Ford Focus!!

Post #208395014th Sep 2019 9:37 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

Oh and well done on the cheap and dare I say....easy fix!!

Post #208395114th Sep 2019 9:38 pm
Kelman70

yeah now that i know how the connector comes out i will be able to leave the door on.

it weighs a tonne, it was fine taking it off but having to lift it for a while to get it located back onto the hinges was a struggle. Laughing

Martin

Post #208395314th Sep 2019 9:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >