Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Driving in Clogs: brake & accelerator does not a fault m
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
Driving in Clogs: brake & accelerator does not a fault m

Experienced (or just smarter) hands will undoubtedly know this already, but being very new to the car and the forum I thought I'd post my recent experience of LRA and my muppet antics.

Whilst taking in some hills in N Wales last week, I elected to drive in my walking boots. On several occasions my D3 intermittently lost power and flashed a 'engine system fault' on the display. After the 5th occurrence, convinced I had a fuel problem and the day before I was about to head South overnight, I called LRA. They kindly sent a gentlemen out to see me (who waited by a lake in the middle of nowhere for 90 mins after a few mixed messages whilst I sped back from our walk). He diagnosed eventually that I'd been clipping the brake pedal and accelerator at the same time. He matched the number of occurrences to the times the car had faltered. Upshot: he wasted 2 hours of his day and I learnt that if you depress the brake and accelerator at the same time, the fuel supply is cut and an 'engine system fault' flashes up.

Said gentlemen also told me I needed to have 2 recalls sorted (fuel and brakes, although there was no oil in my vacuum line); that unplugging the battery doesn't clear faults (it takes 40 turns on/off of the key with no other occurrence before the fault is cleared from the system, apparently) and that my coolant was low.

Marvelous. What a nice man, though.
 PAGODA  
Post #5295734th Oct 2009 9:28 pm
SN

40 is b***x - only takes three - thats what I was told AND used a good few times when I first got my first one (was three years ago so might be 4 or 5 but definitely not 40 Shocked )

you wanna try driving barefoot - aircon froze my toes off driving through France/Spain in the summer whenever I was not on Cruise Laughing
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5295864th Oct 2009 9:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Driving in Clogs: brake & accelerator does not a fau

pagoda wrote:
if you depress the brake and accelerator at the same time, the fuel supply is cut

So when ice driving in Sweden in a "fleet" car that may or may not have been hired, we had to remove the ABS and Traction Control fuse and also disconnect the brake light switch as this told the ECU to cut the engine if brake and accelerator were applied together. All that to get some left-foot braking in. Modern cars are far too clever for their own good.
 Andrew  
Post #5295934th Oct 2009 9:59 pm
pagoda

Andrew,

Yes, the LRA guy said that too. One of the first checks he did was to see if the lights were OK. He also asked if I practiced left foot braking.
 PAGODA  
Post #5296044th Oct 2009 10:06 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Given the size of pedals in these cars, what size feet have you got?! I've driven a (manual) D1 in plastic winter mountaineering boots (a bit like ski boots, only bigger clumsier ...) with no problems!

Post #5296444th Oct 2009 11:12 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Driving in Clogs: brake & accelerator does not a fau

pagoda wrote:
He diagnosed eventually that I'd been clipping the brake pedal and accelerator at the same time. He matched the number of occurrences to the times the car had faltered. Upshot: he wasted 2 hours of his day and I learnt that if you depress the brake and accelerator at the same time, the fuel supply is cut and an 'engine system fault' flashes up.

Now that is interesting and could explain a few things.

Post #5296494th Oct 2009 11:20 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

As I have a manual g'box, I "heel & toe" to start off on hills. No problems. Smile

Perhaps it is speed-related also.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #5296735th Oct 2009 5:47 am
pagoda

MartinR wrote:
Given the size of pedals in these cars, what size feet have you got?! I've driven a (manual) D1 in plastic winter mountaineering boots (a bit like ski boots, only bigger clumsier ...) with no problems!

That would be size 14.

Maybe your pedals are different to mine, but the accelerator and brake pedal are pretty damn close to each other and I can see how the brake is easily clipped when driving in clod-hopping boots.
 PAGODA  
Post #5297685th Oct 2009 10:07 am
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Bushwanderer wrote:
As I have a manual g'box, I "heel & toe" to start off on hills. No problems. Smile

Perhaps it is speed-related also.

I think you're right - at rest it's OK; you'd probably find at speed it cuts the power. I must admit I've not tried it in the Disco, even to counteract understeer at roundabouts Smile
 Andrew  
Post #5297735th Oct 2009 10:19 am
SN

pagoda wrote:
MartinR wrote:
Given the size of pedals in these cars, what size feet have you got?! ....

That would be size 14.

That would be f*****g enormous then - you can hardly blame the car when you have dinner plates for feet Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Wink

Don't have this issue with an Auto Whistle
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5297815th Oct 2009 10:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

SN wrote:
Don't have this issue with an Auto Whistle

Presume this is a manual-only problem...

I regularly drive in mountain-walking boots (only size 9 though Big Cry ) without a problem (and bare-foot, illegal though that apparently is in the UK Shocked ) and have occasionally held the D3 back on left-foot-brake whilst applying throttle to ensure a rapid hesitation-free start (in the pre TorqTune days Very Happy ). Would have looked right silly Embarassed if that had caused "reduced power"...
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #5297935th Oct 2009 10:53 am
SN

Off Topic but relevant

wikipedia wrote:

United Kingdom
Shoe size in the United Kingdom (English size) is based on the length of the last, measured in barleycorn (approx 1/3 inch) starting from the smallest practical size, which is size zero. It is not formally standardised.

A child's size zero is equivalent to a hand (4 in, 12 barleycorns or 10.16 cm), and the sizes go up to size 13½ (8½ in or 21.59 cm). Thus, the calculation for a child shoe size in the UK is:

child shoe size = 3 x last length in inches - 12

An adult size one is then the next size up (8⅔ in or 22.01 cm) and each size up continues the progression in barleycorns.[3] The calculation for an adult shoe size in the UK is thus:

adult shoe size = 3 x last length in inches - 25
Post #5298035th Oct 2009 11:21 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Even more relevant Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #5298065th Oct 2009 11:25 am
Ken

I left foot brake in both Manual and auto s no issues at at

Post #5298105th Oct 2009 11:46 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The 'left-foot-braking' issue was resolved with a software update to the ECM in December 2006, it affected both manual and auto boxed D3's & RRS's
VIN range 5A300394-5A413980 & 7A413982-7A426404
This can also be triggered by a faulty brake pedal switch

Post #5298445th Oct 2009 12:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >