DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

DVD rear entertainment system on d4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
eaglesrest

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
DVD rear entertainment system on d4

Hi folks,

I'm looking to put an order in for a d4 hse today, but I'm struggling with the options list. We have 2 young children (7 months and 2 years) so was thinking about the headrest screens plus tv. Thing is it comes in at nearly £3k and it's a lot to justify. Anyone had this system? Is it worth it's weight?

I see I have 3 options:
1. Buy it
2. Go after Market
3. Don't buy and play eye spy on the way to the half dozen center parks hols we could go on with the dosh saved

thanks Smile

Post #53660519th Oct 2009 9:56 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If you wnat it all tidy & complete in the headrest, then take the £3k choice. If you'r happy to have a cpouple of small cables around and a velcro strap around the headrest, then get a cheap twin screen setup from Argos. I paid les sthan £80 & have had it for 3 years with no problems. Also means it can be removed & used in the tent or in SWMBO's car.
My kids arer 14, 12 and 6

Many people say that you should keep your kids entertained by talking to them & playing games (which we do) but on a 10 hour drive, i spy can become a little tedious (especially when it's I Spy somethign beginning with... Blue/green/black whatever colour the item is...) Rolling Eyes
The DVD is a great investment & really does transform an otherwise stressfull journey Thumbs Up

There are other aftermarket 'in-headrest' solutions at under £1200 as well, but I prefered to spend the money on the holiday! Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #53665319th Oct 2009 11:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rsk21

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hello there.

I had a similar dilemma and in the end I went for the hybrid TV but not the RSE.

TV has proven a bit of a disappointment and based on my experience there is no chance it would hold a signal for the kids to carry on watching CBeebies as you head up the road.

We currently have a couple of Nextbase stanchion mount DVDs in the back which are pretty good but I'm planning to go for a headrest screen install in a few months time when the new Rosen headrests with inbuilt screens become available for the D4.

http://www.rosenentertainment.com/ROSEN%20....01.09.pdf

These can be picked up for the D3 for approx £900 plus fitting so hopefully D4 application wil be similar.

RSK
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #53665519th Oct 2009 11:24 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

rsk21 wrote:

These can be picked up for the D3 for approx £900 plus fitting so hopefully D4 application wil be similar.

But you can get a D3 headrest solution for under £200 which looks factory fit! not sure why you would spend the extra £700 Confused
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #53665819th Oct 2009 11:26 am
rsk21

If you're talking about TLOs screen deal then the answer is because he doesn't have any that fit our car.

If you're not point me towards it and I'll buy it today !

RSK
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #53666319th Oct 2009 11:28 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Oh right, i was meaning the TLO ones Embarassed Rolling Eyes

There are other cheaper solutions than £900 though, such as the ones that wiggs has fitted which were like these, not sure on fitment for D4 though Confused

http://www.ads-shop.com/Reduced_WAS_%A3499...VD/272.htm
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #53666519th Oct 2009 11:36 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Get the LR one if finance allows.....it's brilliant, does TV, DVD, AUX inputs for playstation or similar, allows each screen to have different sources, has a remote to control all RSE function and each screen idividually, DVD changer to allow changing discs is fully integrated with the car and is covered by three years warranty with the rest of the car.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #53691319th Oct 2009 7:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

£3K, I could never justify that for a DVD player Shocked , If you keep the car 3 years, it will have cost you £83 a month as it adds nothing to thr resale price later.

Post #53692519th Oct 2009 8:11 pm
eaglesrest

Thanks for all the replies folks. As tempted as we were, we've decided to skip both the DVD and TV options. We already have a portable DVD player which mounts on the headrest which should do for long trips, although it is a bit of a faff.

Plan is to wait until the girls are a bit older and if they seem interested then we'll probably buy an aftermarket fit. Chances are they'll have the latest iPod/Archos by then which will no doubt play games and movies in high def with days worth of battery life!

Post #53696419th Oct 2009 9:02 pm
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

mwestcrew wrote:
...it's brilliant, does TV, DVD, AUX inputs for playstation or similar, allows each screen to have different sources, ...

Does this mean that you could connect a laptop to the screen, while on the move? Since it's not an RGB/DVI connection would the output be too bad?

Post #53707520th Oct 2009 7:39 am
rsk21

Whilst I may be wrong I doubt it because of resolution issues.

You'd also need the ability to send composite video from the laptop.

Am also slightly baffled as to why you'd want to do this ?

RSK
 FFRR Vogue SE - Waitomo

D4 XXV - Causeway

D4 HSE 255 - Sumatra

D4 HSE 245 - Stornoway

D3 S - Java 

Post #53711620th Oct 2009 9:53 am
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

£3K... how many long trips do you do? Don't know what his hourly rate is, but surely you could hire Pancake The Clown to keep your kids entertained (scared?!) for your journeys for less than that? http://www.pancake.co.uk/pancake_the_clown.html

Wink Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

That said, I totally get it... we've got our first on the way in a few weeks. Turns out you can't let them roll about in the back of a Volvo estate these days, their buggies cost more than my first car, and if you don't do everything the latest trendy book says, you will end up with a young offender...
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #53712520th Oct 2009 10:15 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well first off the RSE is only £2200 which gives you DVD and AUX Inputs, obviously the Hybrid TV is more. My kids are 10, 6, and 5 years old and long journeys are made actually achievable by some form of entertainment. The monthly cost of £61 also assumes that you only keep the car for three years.........

As far as resale goes I don't really think that you get nothing for an RSE system when it comes time to get rid. Probably a stealer would tell you your car wasn't worth anymore with a system, but then two seconds later he'll be trying to sell the same system for £2K. Whistle If there were two equivalent cars side by side, one with screens and one without, which one would sell first?

No a PC won't connect without a scan converter. But an X-Box, and a Playstation, and a Wii will!!!
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #53712820th Oct 2009 10:32 am
Heyloft

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Go for the RSE.

I have had that as an option in all my D3's and it was std on the FFRR

Just come back from Devon with 2 kids 2.5 & 8 and spent an hour & half stationary Friday morning on M5. With RSE no problem. SWMBO & I sat and watched TV in the front. ! one child had DVD's on and the other swapped between PS3 and videos stored on my iphone.

not a peep out of them or SWMBO !!!!

Whistle
 Wot's that in Old Money

Fuji White D4 HSE-LUX
rear entertainment
TV
TPMS
Park Heater
Centre Console cooler box 

Post #53729420th Oct 2009 4:16 pm
eaglesrest

Well, despite posting to the contrary, we've backflipped and gone for the TV and RSE. There's only so much squealing in stereo from the back seat we can take Big Cry

I'm assuming the touch screen will have a large button which says ENTERTAIN CHILDREN!!!

Seriously though, the balance for both + surround cameras on a stock car was £2.6k so wasn't too painful. With any luck we might even have it by the end of the month Very Happy

Post #53762921st Oct 2009 9:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >