Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

Eastnor experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I'm glad to hear that you managed to get the right car Thumbs Up

Nice and dry while we were there, though the slurry like mud in a couple of the "dumps" was wonderful stuff! Very Happy

Post #180214210th Apr 2017 6:33 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Truth be told, I am disappointed with LRE for letting us down by not providing the D4, as promised. This was planned three months in advance, as a treat for the middle of our family holiday and while I can understand their wish to register as much of their factory output, as quickly as possible, this was just wrong.

While I have no beef with the people at Eastnor (who were great), I shall be taking this one up with the LRE people who organised the booking and made the promise.

Post #180220610th Apr 2017 8:43 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Ah the slurry was about for us too! Great fun

I agree, i think the withdrawal of the D4 from LRE centres was a little previous. Especially when you can still get pre reg d4 in dealers. I think it should of been bookable 6 months from the launch of the d5 Thumbs Up
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #180220710th Apr 2017 8:47 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

D4 is still available at some of the LRE Centres although not sure for how much longer.
East of England currently have 2 x D4 and 1 x D5 on their fleet.

Post #180237511th Apr 2017 11:20 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

It looked as if they might have even taken them off the fleet the day before! I did ask what was likely to become of the winch on the front of the most seriously equipped D4! Whistle Very Happy

It did make me wonder if they might need to take a mini digger out on the course to do a little widening in some places; my instructor did say that the D4 fitted really well, but the FFRR needed very careful placing around tree roots on the outside edges of some of the deeper ruts... Rolling Eyes

Post #180240911th Apr 2017 1:16 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

My D4 .... now my sons is only 1/2" a side wider than my D5 which is supposedly the same as a FFRR ... what's the mini digger for ?
 Peter  
Post #180278312th Apr 2017 12:55 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I thought I'd better check my facts here. There seem to be different opinions on the relative width of these cars but, what really matters in the ruts is the width of the track on the car and the width of the tyres on top of that.

The widest track on the D4 is at the rear, at 1612.5 mm. With 255 tyres, that makes the width at the total width at the rear wheels 1,612.5 mm + 255 mm for both of the tyres = 1,867.5 mm

The equivalent figure on thr FFRR is 1,690 mm + 275 mm = 1,965 mm

So the width between the outside edges of the sidewalls is 97.5 mm greater on the FFRR than it was on the D4, which pretty confirms what the instructor was suggesting. When the tyre ruts are deep and the outside edges have tough tree roots in them, the face of a 20" alloy wheel may not be the most cost effective tool to cut the tree roots back with Wink

PS: As a matter of curiousity, the equivalent figure for the D5 is 1,692mm track + 285 mm = 1,977 mm

Post #180288212th Apr 2017 5:46 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:
Truth be told, I am disappointed with LRE for letting us down by not providing the D4, as promised. This was planned three months in advance, as a treat for the middle of our family holiday and while I can understand their wish to register as much of their factory output, as quickly as possible, this was just wrong.

While I have no beef with the people at Eastnor (who were great), I shall be taking this one up with the LRE people who organised the booking and made the promise.

I emailed LR about this on the bank holiday Monday, but no reply or acknowledgment yet...

Post #180577820th Apr 2017 12:28 pm
UffBrock

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My voucher never materialised after my 8/16 D4 purchase and when (eventually) I chased, the earliest date I was offered was June. I expressly asked for, and was promised, a D4.

I'll check with Eastnor nearer the time but if no D4 is available I shall probably cancel. Shame, because this is my 4th (new) Discovery and this would have been my first off road experience.

Post #180580220th Apr 2017 1:32 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

You won't get a Disco 4 but, if this is your first time there, please don't cancel!

It's still a great experience and well worth the trip. Even if they initially do try and offer you a D5, please do not be put off; stand by your guns, as there are still some properly nice cars that can be borrowed as well Thumbs Up

Post #180580420th Apr 2017 1:45 pm
RouseyD

United Kingdom 
Defenders

Whilst it might not be what you are after, I believe Eastnor is keeping Defenders on its fleet. At least I hope so as I've booked one for a half day in December!

Post #180631821st Apr 2017 4:11 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:
Red Merle wrote:

I emailed LR about this on the bank holiday Monday, but no reply or acknowledgment yet...

A reply arrived by email today. It was short and largely unhelpful.

It was one of those letters that, having failed to answer most of the points raised and having achieved nothing, closes with one of the most irritating platitudes of all time: "if I can be of any further help, please do not hesitate to contact me". If he hadn't said that, I would have let it go...

However, I took this his cliche at face value and "didn't hesitate" to contact him again! Twisted Evil

Post #180633421st Apr 2017 5:01 pm
markate

While Eastnor may have removed the D4 from their fleet they are still on the fleets at some of the other LRE Centres.

Post #180633721st Apr 2017 5:11 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately it would seem that even if they are at the centres, they may be decommissioned and even if you book one, it's no guarantee that they'll have one by the time that you arrive.

One bit of good news, at least I found this out before paying to do the full day's course Thumbs Up

Post #180634921st Apr 2017 5:49 pm
markate

I was at LRE East of England today and both their D4's were being used and are still bookable.

Post #180635921st Apr 2017 6:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >