Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Easy tracks with camping
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mark1247

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Easy tracks with camping

I am looking for some tracks that are not too demanding to spend some time with my youngest (8 years old).
He is an avid watcher of 4wd action and wants to get off road and camp wild somewhere.
Whilst I appreciate we don't have the luxury of as many spots in the UK, there must be some somewhere that I can take him to get a taste of the action.

It will also be a great father and son time that hopefully he will never forget.

We are based in Cambridge, but I am happy to go anywhere within reason that can be reached over a weekend when he is not at school.

Thanks in advance.

Post #203996624th Mar 2019 11:11 pm
Baz2236

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Maya GoldDiscovery 3

There's a few lanes around the fen that you cna drive and then camp near look towards aldreth you could pitch up down there near the river for a spot of fishing as well if that's you thing.
The other one is Thetford but not sure how the forestry commission feels about wild camping.
 www.pcsupportservicez.co.uk  
Post #204531212th Apr 2019 11:05 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Derbyshire isn’t to far for you, Caravan and camping club have many sites that are only max5 units, one in particular is 5 miles from Bakewell, 3 from Matlock and Chatsworth House and is out in the wilds with magnificent scenery, all grass does not have electric. Matlock Bath is around 4 miles away, river Derwent runs through it with a canal alongside for several miles, perfect for canoeing and boat hire, paddle down stream one way back up the canal to return, ski lift to the top of Adrian’s Heights.
Bakewell has the Monsa Trail which is a disused rail line about 8-10 miles long with many tunnels through the hills it was reopened last year for walkers and cyclists.
A 12 mile trip to Castleton take you past Lady Bower and Derwent Dams of dambuster fame an engineering masterpiece any youngster and yourself would marvell at, only open week days for vehicles as it is circumnavigated by a narrow road, cycles can be hired for the 12 mile journey any day.
Castleton is the source of Blue John a semi precious stone, all the caves and mines are open to the public for a small fee, the scenery including the site of the largest English landslide in modern history that took half a mountain, a road and railway line with it, breathtaking for anyone who has not seen it.
I can guarantee your boy will never, ever forget it, mine hasn’t and still refers to it now and he’s nearly 50 Shocked
You would need a week to do all of the above Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #204532412th Apr 2019 11:52 am
Pip66

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Baz2236 wrote:
There's a few lanes around the fen that you cna drive and then camp near look towards aldreth you could pitch up down there near the river for a spot of fishing as well if that's you thing.
The other one is Thetford but not sure how the forestry commission feels about wild camping.

Agreed with Baz, although I've found that most of the fen lanes seem to be heavily rutted by farm traffic.
Venture out to Norfolk and you'll be spoilt for choice. And yes i doubt the Forestry commission will tolerate camping at all.
Maybe it's about time I put together another trip, as it's been a while since the last one we did !!!
 2008 G4 D3 vehicle No 11. UK selections.
2003 G4 D2 vehicle No 125. South African workshop car. 

Post #204552613th Apr 2019 8:04 am
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Join your local ALRC (Association of Land Rover Clubs) club, most organise green lane runs, camping weekends and off road events and from age 13 he can drive in Tyro events while you navigate. My daughter who is now 16 has already gained lots of driving experience and made numerous friends through our club.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #204599715th Apr 2019 2:41 am
Mark1247

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Many thanks for the suggestions, some great ideas and food for thought.

Pip and Baz, I will head over to Thetford and Norfolk as easy to get to and if we find somewhere to stay great, if not we can head home easily.

M3DPO, again, great suggestion. I know many of the places well as I used to be a mad keen biker and regularly visited Matlock. I also fondly remember going down the Blue John mines many moons ago with my father. It would be nice to pass that on.

MGCarr - I will certainly look into this, it would be a great way for him to meet new friends and like minded individuals.

Post #204713219th Apr 2019 11:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >