Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

EGR blanking post 2007.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
GDM

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
EGR blanking post 2007.

I have posted on here a few times about issues with my 2007 Commercial but here's a brief summary.

I bought it 2 years ago, it lacked power at low revs, which was an utter pain, as I bought it for towing. I replaced the MAF and the MAP sensor, checked the wiring to the MAF, checked all hose connections and checked live data readings, all to no avail. I have just fitted a turbo but it's still not right.

Now, when I bought it, the EGRs were already blanked and there is no EML light on. However, as I don't know how the EML was mapped out, is it possible that the EGR faults could still be causing a lack of power at low revs. I do get EGR faults when reading the codes but I was ignoring them as I thought they were irrelevant but maybe not?

Post #232368822nd Jan 2023 11:00 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If the EGR's are blanked, has the butterfly been removed?
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #232369722nd Jan 2023 11:42 am
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The only real way to tell if they’ve been mapped out is to get the ECU info looked at properly.
There are some Euro4 D3’s out there with old engine ECU software that can run with blanked EGR’s not mapped out and not put the EML on.
My own MY08 would run without them mapped out with no issues until half way through France and then it’d pop up, I’ve since updated the engine ECU software and mapped them out and no longer an issue Thumbs Up

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #232370422nd Jan 2023 12:27 pm
GDM

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

rrhool wrote:
If the EGR's are blanked, has the butterfly been removed?

It hadn't been removed, so I took it out about a year ago. It made sod all difference.

Post #232371222nd Jan 2023 12:52 pm
GDM

CDS wrote:
The only real way to tell if they’ve been mapped out is to get the ECU info looked at properly.
There are some Euro4 D3’s out there with old engine ECU software that can run with blanked EGR’s not mapped out and not put the EML on.
My own MY08 would run without them mapped out with no issues until half way through France and then it’d pop up, I’ve since updated the engine ECU software and mapped them out and no longer an issue Thumbs Up

Did it cause running issues when the fault popped up?

Post #232371422nd Jan 2023 12:56 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Re: EGR blanking post 2007.

GDM wrote:
I have posted on here a few times about issues with my 2007 Commercial but here's a brief summary.

I bought it 2 years ago, it lacked power at low revs, which was an utter pain, as I bought it for towing. I replaced the MAF and the MAP sensor, checked the wiring to the MAF, checked all hose connections and checked live data readings, all to no avail. I have just fitted a turbo but it's still not right.

Now, when I bought it, the EGRs were already blanked and there is no EML light on. However, as I don't know how the EML was mapped out, is it possible that the EGR faults could still be causing a lack of power at low revs. I do get EGR faults when reading the codes but I was ignoring them as I thought they were irrelevant but maybe not?

Oh mate really am sorry to hear that after all the hard work

Apologises if I already asked but have u removed the throttle body, blanked it off , added some air and then bubble tested the egr pipe connections plse , are ur blanks fitted on the engine block , have they also been tested with soapy water plse

Plus daft idea but does it make any difference when u select heat or cool on the dials as wonder if maybe the ac compressor is seized of if that could ever affect the engine ??

Did u also check the earths posts behind the passengers side front wheel arch liner as know the ECM uses them for the 5 Vdc reference grounds , also found the ECM pins were green giving me bad connections

Lastly do u get any readings from the following plse

Boost Pressure Actuator

Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Supplementary engine coolant temperature, does it read minus or positive plse

Boost pressure actuator - Bank 1

Apologises once again if you’ve tried these as indeed just trying to think of everything I also done when I had very similar problems

Really hope u find it

Post #232372122nd Jan 2023 1:18 pm
gstuart

Almost forgot , I also tested virtually every sensor to ensure it had approx 5 Vdc supply to each connector

Got fingers crossed for u Thumbs Up

Post #232372222nd Jan 2023 1:26 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

GDM wrote:
CDS wrote:

Did it cause running issues when the fault popped up?

No, just the EML on Thumbs Up

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #232373022nd Jan 2023 1:54 pm
GDM

Re: EGR blanking post 2007.

gstuart wrote:

Oh mate really am sorry to hear that after all the hard work

Apologises if I already asked but have u removed the throttle body, blanked it off , added some air and then bubble tested the egr pipe connections plse , are ur blanks fitted on the engine block , have they also been tested with soapy water plse

Plus daft idea but does it make any difference when u select heat or cool on the dials as wonder if maybe the ac compressor is seized of if that could ever affect the engine ??

Did u also check the earths posts behind the passengers side front wheel arch liner as know the ECM uses them for the 5 Vdc reference grounds , also found the ECM pins were green giving me bad connections

Lastly do u get any readings from the following plse

Boost Pressure Actuator

Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Supplementary engine coolant temperature, does it read minus or positive plse

Boost pressure actuator - Bank 1

Apologises once again if you’ve tried these as indeed just trying to think of everything I also done when I had very similar problems

Really hope u find it

Well, the turbo bearings were shot anyway, so that had to be changed and the clutch and DMF needed doing too. I had hoped that the VNT mechanism might have been at fault on the old turbo.

I haven't removed the throttle body and air tested it. I did smoke test the inlet system but it wasn't pressurised at all. The EGR valves have been completely removed, so I have blanks on the exhaust manifolds and the throttle body.

There is no difference with the A/C compressor.

I did check the ECM pins some time ago but I haven't checked the earth point in the wheel arch, so I will do that.

I can't remember what live data I recorded before but I will check on the ones you mentioned.

Like you did, I do have at least one sticking brake caliper but I think this is a recent thing and probably not the reason it has always been sluggish. I have all new calipers, pads, V8 discs and caliper carriers waiting to go on this week.

And thank you for your help and advice.

Post #232376922nd Jan 2023 6:54 pm
gstuart

Hi

Ur so welcome and always nice being able to pass on things that might be useful to u

Funny enough when I tested the 5vdc supply I think was to the map sensor it was lower around 2-3 Vdc , after I done that earth post connections it came back up to 5vdc which helped on the rev range

Fingers crossed and indeed plse let us know how u get on along with what live data u get

Did also wonder that with mine ref the calipers sticking which I found the discs were hotter than the others after a drive , great as that will cure any problems seeing u have all u calipers etc

Also just remembered I fitted all new seals on the throttle body Y piece , using some clear silicone grease which helped prevent the o rings from pushing in, then after with the engine running , bubble tested them with some soapy water to ensure the seal wasn’t letting by ,

Ref the egrs, I just blanked mine leaving the pipes and egrs in place , blank is at the engine block , done that because of the new mot rules with regards to egrs , leaving it all in place they wouldn’t notice they had been blanked

Really hope after all ur hard work it gets resolved

Post #232381023rd Jan 2023 3:10 am
gstuart

Also sorry if you’ve already done this regarding the canbus, this is what I also done , here are the tests I performed to ensure the canbus was ok , indeed through the book at it, lol , wished to share it just in case it’s useful

With both battery leads disconnected from the battery posts

Multimeter set to ohms, ( TP Is just short for test probe from ur multimeter)
TP to pin 6 other TP to pin 14 , read ohms ( should read around 60 Ohms)
TP to pin 3 other TP to pin 11, read ohms ( should read around 60 Ohms)

Reconnect battery, ign off , meter set to Vdc

TP to pin 6 other TP pin 4 Read dc ( should be around 2.5 Vdc
TP to pin 6 other TP to pin 5 Read Vdc
TP to pin 14 other TP to pin 4 Read dc ( should be around 2.5 Vdc
TP to pin 14 other TP to pin 5 Read Vdc
TP to pin 6 other TP to pin 14 read Vdc

Post #232381123rd Jan 2023 3:30 am
gstuart

Pin 1
Pin 2 - PWM positive
Pin 3 - medium canbus ( high side )
Pin 4 - chassis ground
Pin 5 - signal ground
Pin 6 - high canbus ( high side )
Pin 7 - Kline
Pin 8 - transmission module
Pin 9 - ABS module
Pin 10 - PWM Negative
Pin 11 - medium canbus ( low side )
Pin 12 - restraint control module
Pin 13
Pin 14 - high canbus (low side )
Pin 15
Pin 16 battery voltage

Click image to enlarge

Post #232381223rd Jan 2023 3:32 am
GDM

Thanks. Will be on the brakes tomorrow and Thursday evenings, then will start checking all of the other things you have mentioned. Got it back on the lift this evening and took the wheels off, and it looks like the n/s/f and o/s/r calipers are sticking on and the n/s/r is stuck off. The o/s/f looks like it might be good!

Post #232404824th Jan 2023 9:52 pm
gstuart

Ur so welcome , Just really hope something assists in u finding the error

Also posted over on ur other thread as just wondered if a restricted intercooler could cause these sort if issues , clutching at straws and just a thought

Really hope u find what it is and can certainly sympathise when it comes to trying to pin down errors

Post #232406625th Jan 2023 3:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >