Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
Sinclair C5 upgrade Shocked

Now, there's an idea! Very Happy
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #205218210th May 2019 3:24 pm
teXan

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I am disappointed to see that this discussion has not gone any further. I am going to start looking into this.

First place I am starting with is getting a better under standing of the full CAN-BUS network.

I will be starting with diving into the CAN-BUS network and target the control of the Air Suspension system first to work out an auto-levelling system for when camping as this will help with my current Disco 4. Will progress from there to getting the 4x4 information.

I am considering making contact with Rimac as their motors and inverters they are producing are really good.

Yeah understanding the torque limiting for relative speed and RPM is quite important and should not be too difficult. Most of the EV kits available at the moment have CAN-BUS integration by default. You would just need to get the system communicating.

I have seen some posts in the Disco3 forum where people have posted the module IDs and I know there are great companies who have all the information of every module in the vehicles so this would definitely be possible. Convincing people to work with you and share the information is the challenge.

There are many D3 rolling chassis deals in South Africa as I am sure there are in many other parts of the world.

Hopefully through my research I may find some already available items to simplify life.

Post #216115315th Jul 2020 12:42 pm
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

Brilliant.
Yes there are a lot of D3 and D4 vehicles that are at scrap value price.... But really are too good to scrap, but don't warrant another engine either.

The EV route is the way to go..
There are RR, Series and Defenders all being converted, howei I'm not aware of and D3 or 4s that are under construction...
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #216116115th Jul 2020 1:12 pm
teXan

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Yeah, I have seen a few defenders and Range Rovers.

The Disco 3 or 4 chassis will be a challenge but should be fun. The challenge for me is to be able to fit enough battery storage to have a range of around 600 to 800km. Anything less than that would not be feasible in South Africa.

Post #216116315th Jul 2020 1:29 pm
G_Cam

Ah!
that will be where you will fail at the moment that type of range is not achievable.
While you an use the likes of Tesla modules even they would require too much pace and then it would add too much weight..

I was looking for around 100miles but with rapid charging.

I was also thinking of an early Disco 3 without the air suspension setup in order to simplify things. Im not sure how less usable this would make it?
1 FARR UTV SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD

Post #216119215th Jul 2020 3:35 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Exactly- Even allowing for the removal of the weight of the engine, fuel tank etc. etc. the overall weight and aerodynamics of vehicles such as the D3 will always be the issue when it comes to range, that is until or if battery technology changes.

Which is why larger vehicles, commercial vehicles, trains etc. will (IMO) be powered by Hydrogen in the future. and why JLR are currentl looking into the development of a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle as part of a £73.5million Government funded programme.

Of course a range of just 100 miles in a D3 would be useful for some people and a great project, but not really commercially viable. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #216119715th Jul 2020 3:56 pm
LR3norway

Norway 

Think it would be possible to get a decent range. But battery fitment would be difficult. And expensive. Not possible to some "standard" pack. Filling where the 3rd seats are located, both sides of the frame underneath (move air tank and compressor to the engine bay) , the geartunnel and some of the engine bay with batteries.
One engine on each differential, with normally be 2wd, possible to switch 4wd on. Brake charging of course.
The price would not be worth it though.

Post #216120115th Jul 2020 4:13 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

The motor mentioned earlier is available for $2800. One Tesla battery cell is about $800.

Two motors and ten (?) batteries would cost, $13,600. plus controllers/inverters etc which can easily be over $2000. Never mind time and fabrication etc and then integrating everything else in to work.

$20,000 would get you a couple of diesel engine replacements...

Good idea, which appeals to me, but at current prices not viable unless time and money are in good supply.

It might be more realistic to get a 10 year old mid-size van and do that (first), one motor fewer batteries, less complexity to integrate... Question

Post #216121815th Jul 2020 5:41 pm
Merryspoon

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I’ve been thinking the same about converting my D3. In terms on the conversion as stated by others, once the engine and fuel tank are removed, fitting sealed Tesla batteries and a motor with a plate onto the box isn’t massively difficult. You could even loose the spare wheel and get a few extra batteries in under the rear for a bit of extra range and better weight distribution.
The electrics is the problem and I’m no genius or expert on the matter. But in my mind, you either recode the ecu by blocking out the engine systems that have been removed or fool it into thinking they’re still there (like an egr blank) or you start from the ground up with a new blank ecu (possibly retro fitted from something simpler) and rewrite the coding and software from the ground up around the electric motor as the main block. Again I’m no expert, but if someone managed to come up with the complicated coding that already exists in the discovery, then I’m sure there’s someone else equally talented out there who could rewrite the engine management system around an electric block.
Looking at the conversions Classic Electric Vehicles from North Wales have done, you’d be better off replacing most of the engine systems for electric anyway (heating, steering etc) so there may not be much original mechanics left to recode.
But of course the main issue is cost. You’re looking at spending at least the original value of the car to convert it. But in terms of keeping these cars on the road, it’s a great conversation.

Post #21906221st Dec 2020 8:46 am
G_Cam

im still looking at it too...

i agree.. pretty much take out the guts of the Disco. i would go dual motors. replace the ECUs and get custom gauges. and the Tesla infotainment android system.

the Tesla batteries cant tow 3.5t which is an issue, but Tesla batteries are the way to go.
im not sure what Rivian are using motor wise but they tow 5tonnes.. so would be a good start point.

Given the cost of a D3 or D4 with a broken crank it would be a cheap starting point... however its not a cheap option to convert to an EV until some off the shelf kit comes onto the market.
1 FARR UTV SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD

Post #21907121st Dec 2020 5:07 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

I’d like to replicate that Lightweight project and build my own Thumbs Up
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #21907601st Dec 2020 8:28 pm
Merryspoon

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

For a little fresh inspiration, worth a watch if you haven't already:

Post #221150417th Feb 2021 3:01 pm
G_Cam

Still No Further forward with my thoughts...
Lots of other vehicles being converted out there ...Defenders (a plenty), RR Classics, and even a Freelander in Argentina Thumbs Up but still no D3/D4 a far as I can see!

Dead Discos are still available for cheap as chips money and would provide a good platform.. There are more crashed Teslas out there too but there is also a growing demand for EV conversions..

At this rate I will end up With a Rivian... https://rivian.com/

I'm sure I could live with that mind you. Great Range, Rapid Charging, 3-5t towing capacity and 0-62 in 3 Seconds Thumbs Up Perhaps I need to look down the back of the sofa for a spare £70-80k Rolling with laughter
1 FARR UTV SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD

Post #221746114th Mar 2021 3:02 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Got a spare D3 here, if you want to try it out Thumbs Up Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #221747714th Mar 2021 4:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
G_Cam

That is VERY tempting... I need to finish a good few projects here first and sell the tractor and TR6 to make space...

Wayne at Electron Garage is very keen to have a look at a Disco up on the ramp to work out the motor and battery options. He does see it as a total do-able. There are some new EV gauges and ECU emulators that might do the trick in terms of controlling the Disco... While a few Disco 2s have been converted (You can even buy off-the shelf adapter plates for fitting the motor to the R380 or LT77 gearbox) no-one a yet has managed a D3/D4. Perhaps he could pay you a wee visit at some point?

With the likes of Twisted now selling EV conversion Kits for older Land Rovers it is only a matter of time until someone cracks it... Imaging the number of Discos that could be converted.. lots with years of life in them but quite often scrapped due to a broken crank.

I don't think it is a cheap option, however if you view the extended life, increased reliability and running costs ....No Road tax, No fuel costs, No oil, filter or belts to change... That could save a fortune over time!

I see a time, not too far off, when there will be off the shelf kits to convert the D3/D4 Thumbs Up
1 FARR UTV SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD

Post #221762715th Mar 2021 10:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >