Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Emergency Lock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bonehead

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
Emergency Lock

I hope I am posting this in the rit place, if not sorry.

I have removed my battery from the truck. I wanted to leave the doors closed so I locked it but left the bonnet open. Waited for the park brake light to go out before taking the leads of the battery but the alarm went off. So I quickly put the leads back on and then unlocked the car using the keyfob.

So I got messing about with the emergency lock. I read the manual but it doesn't make it very clear how it should work. I put my key in and turned it left and right it turns about an eighth of a turn in either direction but nothing happens, at least with the battery disconnected.

Should it mechanically unlock the door or is it an electrical switch?

I'm deep cycling. The battery to see if I can get some more life out of it as it has been a bit dodgy over last few days then this morning it wouldn't start as I think I spent too long last night messing with stuff and flattened the battery.

Thanks for any help.

Post #73031812th Dec 2010 3:48 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

By emergency lock do you mean the keylock on the front passenger door? I've had to use mine the last week as the battery went completely flat, it seems to be a purely mechanical lock the same as ones on normal car doors, just turn until you hear the mechanism operate, I think it's about a quarter turn clockwise. Perhaps if you cant turn it very far then it's partially stuck because I guess they are hardly ever used. Try some oil or WD40 etc. It's not worth breaking the key though so either be very careful or wait for someone else to post and see what they suggest.

Post #73035512th Dec 2010 5:24 pm
Bonehead

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes sorry the one on the passenger side door.

I tried turning but. It doesn't seem to want to go. It looks lubricated. Was yours difficult to turn? Like you said I don't want to force it and break anything.

Post #73036612th Dec 2010 5:54 pm
Miguel

Portugal 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

There is a trick to it, last year I got a flat battery and the LR mechanic used the emergency lock to gain access to the car. I think the trick is to pull the handle at the same time as you turn the key. But I will confirm that as soon as I get to my car.

Post #73085113th Dec 2010 7:29 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

No, not that difficult to turn, and I dont have to pull the handle. It works the same as cars without central locking, turn one way to lock, turn the other to unlock. Perhaps yours has seized and needs looking at. There's probably posts around detailing how to disassemble the doors to have a look inside. I had a Toyota Camry omce and the central locking motor seized; just needed oiling once I found it.

Post #73086413th Dec 2010 7:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >