DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

engine noise when throttling off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4
engine noise when throttling off

Hi All

I have a 2010 plate disco 4 and when i take my foot of the throttle i get a grating noise from the engine, i can make it do it all the time when stood still by selecting drive then keep my left foot on the brake and rev the car when i throttle off i get a horrible grating noise almost like the sound you get when your pads are down to the metal and you press your brakes

There are no codes in the ecu and the car is not low on power it drives fine when normal driving its ONLY when i take my foot off the throttle and the engine is under load with the weight of the car pushing it whilst in gear

We have blanked both the egr vales off and it still does it, can anyone suggest what they think it may be

It seems like the boost pipes at the front are resinating like its boosting but then its boosting back through again like its boosting backwards in a way

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #134578422nd Sep 2014 1:51 pm
stav

Greece 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Would this be the case when in neutral? or only in D?

Post #134580022nd Sep 2014 2:15 pm
Scwede

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Hi shawn,

Sounds very similar to these recent threads:

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic117257.html

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic116982.html

I have to assume we are all talking about the same thing, although you are the first to report on a D4.

No conclusive results in the chats but some interesting possibilities.

Post #134581122nd Sep 2014 2:31 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Shawn,

I've got this exact same problem with my MY14 HSE Sad Dealer tried to tell me it was
normal - B Censored ks. Then after I kicked off they had my car for 2 days before I went on holiday in August and dealer raised a TA with LR who then got them to do a software mod something to do with the air-flow of the turbo pressure release valve ?, sounds good, but it made no difference at all.

Last week they had my car again all week, and again they tried to tell me again it was common to all D4's as they had called in in a LR field engineer who put my car and another side by side, and they convinced themselves that they were both the same.

Funny thing is whilst all this was going on they loaned me a brand new 64 plate HSE for 4 days, and guess what, it doesn't do it like mine Rolling Eyes

I understand it was sometimes a problem with some D3's and I can't believe that landrover are not aware of this problem on some D4's

So I picked my own car up again this morning from dealers and I'm about to update Pete at LR customer care.

I'll let you know what they propose next Thumbs Up

Chris
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #134581822nd Sep 2014 2:44 pm
shawn

Hi highbayrack

Can you do a test for me, start the car put left foot on the brake pedal and keep it pressed down now select drive and press the throttle as if you were going to drive away BUT KEEP YOUR LEFT FOOT ON THE BRAKE, This puts the engine under load then when you release the throttle see if you get this horrible grating noise as the revs die down

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #134582122nd Sep 2014 2:57 pm
shawn

Forgot to say mine only does it if I put it in drive so the engine is under load it DOES NOT do it if its in neutral

cheers shawn
Post #134582422nd Sep 2014 3:00 pm
highbayrack

Shawn, I've already done this test - the Master tech at my dealer got me to do it - and it still does it.

To me it also sounds a bit like a metallic grating noise, but I'm assured its not and that its pressure releasing from the valve, like a dump valve.

Funny how some Disco engines do it and not others. I had a MY11 4 before this and a 3 before that, also my wife has a 3 currently and I've not heard it with any of them.
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)

Post #134582622nd Sep 2014 3:07 pm
highbayrack

shawn wrote:
Forgot to say mine only does it if I put it in drive so the engine is under load it DOES NOT do it if its in neutral

cheers shawn

Same here Thumbs Up

Post #134582722nd Sep 2014 3:08 pm
shawn

mine has only just started doing it so I need to find out why its not done it for 55,000 miles miles now its started doing it

cheers
Post #134583822nd Sep 2014 3:36 pm
highbayrack

Mine has done it from day one and its on nearly 10k miles now. My argument is that, normal or not, when you pay this much for a car you shouldn't be able to hear it inside the car with the windows closed Shocked

Post #134585822nd Sep 2014 4:00 pm
Thelo3

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Chris

I have the same issue on my MY14!!
Dealer has told me its "normal" but it only started doing it about 500miles ago. Car currently has 4500 miles on it!
I am in Northants too so if you want to compare the noise etc let me know. I am going to raise this further with my dealer and LR customer service.

Justin
 D4 HSE Lux - Santorini, Privacy, RLD Protector

D3 Stornaway Grey - Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #134591122nd Sep 2014 5:23 pm
highbayrack

Justin, that sounds like a good plan and I'll PM you after dinner Thumbs Up . I'm already in contact with Pete @ LR about this and will update him later this evening on my last visit to Guy Salmon, as he asked me to do.

And clearly if a few of us are experiencing this same noise problem then they need to acknowledge the fact and do something about it.

As I said, the dealer loaned me a brand new car for four days, and I could hear nothing compared to mine.

Chris

Post #134601922nd Sep 2014 7:34 pm
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have tried the brake and throttle test and my D4 does the sound as well. However, I'm pretty sure it's the turbo release valve and sound is normal.

Post #134896528th Sep 2014 8:24 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Does the noise sound like a rotating metal grating noise that runs down as the engine revs drop?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #134897228th Sep 2014 8:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steve_farrant

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Did anyone ever get an answer to this?

Mine is a MY14 and has had this since new. Various valves fitted and adjusted but not cured.

Post #146223522nd Apr 2015 4:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >