Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

EPB Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BORDER ROVER

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
EPB Failure

Yesterday i drove down to the lakes for a bit of cycling with the family and when we arrived at Grizedale forest and parked up i applied the EPB and the car irrupted in lights and bongs. Shocked

When i put the EPB on the dash went mental, i could hear the EPB winding on really loudly, it then stopped and then wound on again making a hell of a racket, on the dash the red EPB light was flahing and the amber brake light was flashing. The dash then told me that the firstly "PARKBRAKE FAULT" then the Red park light was flashing and the warning "PARKBRAKE FAULT. SYSTEM NOT FUNCTIONAL".

I then tried to release the EPB to move the car and it was having none of it, it was stuck full on and was holding the car still. Big Cry I decided to lock the car up and let it go to sleep and retry everything before calling out Land Rover Assist. This was after checking that i had a signal on the mobile and luckily i had but it was Bank Holiday Monday in the middle of the Lakes so thought i might be stranded for a while.

Anyway on starting the car back up all was normal, the EPB release itself no probs and re-applied holding the car on a very steep hill with no probs. Surprised If anything the EPB is quieter now when it goes on and off than it was before.
Shocked

A bit of advice is needed from the collective wisdom of the forum, do i need the stealer to take a look at this soonest or leave it be and if happens again call out LRA. Everything seems normal and happy now.
 POT NOODLE NAVIGATION CHALLENGE 2010 WINNER
Club Sankey
Club pie and peas 

Post #47219926th May 2009 9:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

if its under warrenty get it to the dealer.

Tip to save you searching the forum, when it gets stuck on like that:
1. turn of ignition
2. hold down EPB release (as if you were releasing the handbrake)
3. turn on ignition

This will reset the system. Its fine if you are parked in the lakes, but if you are on a ramp in a multistory car park in the christmas rush, parking and coming back a bit later not an option, luckily I had read the above on teh forum and it saved too many blushes!

Post #47222426th May 2009 10:34 am
BORDER ROVER

Cheers will take a trip to stealers as its well in warrenty. Thumbs Up
Club Sankey
Club pie and peas 

Post #47226126th May 2009 12:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BORDER ROVER

Well took it into the dealers today and they took it straight in. They plugged in their diagnostics machine and then informed me they needed to strip the EPB down to check what was going on. Later they told me it needed to be cleaned out, re-assembled, greased and then adjusted as it seems to have stuck fast at some point because it was full of crap. So quality result and all done under warranty. Very Happy Thumbs Up
Club Sankey
Club pie and peas 

Post #47279027th May 2009 4:00 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up last bit being soooo important! Mr. Green

Post #47279127th May 2009 4:02 pm
BORDER ROVER

Ohh definately as they had the car for over 2 hrs so the labour costs alone Shocked

But all good Very Happy Mr. Green Thumbs Up
Club Sankey
Club pie and peas 

Post #47281127th May 2009 4:58 pm
Foxy

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
EPB screech locking up and not covered by warranty???

help had tdv6hse auto just over 2 years ex demo model now covered 77k and fairly stressless until recently. First of all had suspension ride height issues - sorted under warranty and yes I will fill in survey- thne had gearbox issues holding lower gears too long and not changing up after taking foot of the go pedal and now EPB has been acting all silly, first of all screeching in public places when i least expect it and then refusing to release when i was parked up in the middle of nowhere, programming bloody uselss sat nav cos it couldn't find a newly built street - apparently it will if i pay an extortionate £176.00 for upgrade disc...give me strength and tom tom!!

Anyway my friendly LR dealer Lookers of Chelmsford has just informed me they resolved the problem with a quick strip and clean and it is only going to cost me £330.00+ hold on just got to sit down and recover, went a bit light headed at the last part!! Can anyone tell me if this a. something that should be done under warranty b. if not then is £330.00+ reasonable ??!!...whoops went dizzy again:)

But seriously I know this EPB is a continuous bone of contention on here so any feed back would be gratefully received

Foxy

Post #4761504th Jun 2009 1:18 pm
Fish

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

£330 is stupid. I was asked to pay £157 to have mine done as it was 'binding' in the service.

Did it myself following the sticky guide here. There is nothing too magic about it oh and to my dealer....

NO my front pads weren't 85% worn as you said
NO my EPB wasn't binding particularily and it didn't really need cleaning out
YES the service is supposed to include an adjustment of the EPB FOR FREE NOT EXTRA
YES my rear pads were more worn than the fronts that you DIDN'T mention.

Dealers don't you love them.

Post #4770436th Jun 2009 9:27 am
liv nick

Zimbabwe 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi
I had the same problem with My disco 3
EPB stuck on and would not move
But I find the the manul relase
Very useful
It is just behian the EPC stwich
there is a little cover your remove and pull a cable and that relases the handbrake
Very uesfull if the EPE Will not relase
Hope this helps
Cheers

Post #4770476th Jun 2009 9:48 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

2 h work can not even imagine what rate they on as stealer local to me charge over 100 quid an hour fooking ripoff
rather do it all meself

cheers

Post #4770746th Jun 2009 10:54 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Re: EPB screech locking up and not covered by warranty???

Foxy wrote:
they resolved the problem with a quick strip and clean and it is only going to cost me £330.00+ hold on just got to sit down and recover, went a bit light headed at the last part!! Can anyone tell me if this a. something that should be done under warranty b. if not then is £330.00+ reasonable ??!!...whoops went dizzy again:)

If its in warrenty why would it not be covered, also did they not get authorisation from you before they stripped it down and did the work?

I would tell them not to worry, and you will come and get it and take it to a proper dealer myself Whistle

Post #4777367th Jun 2009 9:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >