Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EPB not covered under warranty.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ELD70

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
EPB not covered under warranty.

I am currently head to head with LR and a main dealer regarding a charge of over £200 to strip,clean and adjust the park brake due to the brake shoes dragging on release. Car recently serviced and only two years old with low mileage.
Anyone with a similar problem please feel free to PM me with any comments you have regarding your own vehicle that can help with this issue. I realise dealers do read these post so I have chosen my words with care.

Thanks.

Post #41099528th Jan 2009 11:50 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

I argued my previous D2 went 192k miles without significant parkbrake issue, D3 has so far required EPB attention twice, first jammed on and was handled under warranty (extended at 63k miles), second occurrence they said the linings had delaminated, I stated that I wanted to see the linings as a) they should have been changed as a result of the previous overheating and b) I didn´t consider delaminating brake linings acceptable and hadn´t heard of it in 20yrs. LRCC and dealer split the cost 50/50...

The EPB design is pants, not fit for purpose and an order of magnitude worse performing than the system that went before....just so it can auto-release Rolling Eyes

Take no crap and argue your corner....
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #41101529th Jan 2009 12:15 am
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My mate Andy Green is the head technician (sp) at Hunters in Guildford, he knows not of the epb not being covered for repair or adjustment, guess it could be dealer issues, ie not wanting to do it. Give Guildford a ring and check....
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #41102429th Jan 2009 12:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

had that with mine, a few weeks after service epb started to squeel, had to pay I'm afraid Big Cry

Post #41102729th Jan 2009 12:35 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just playing devils advocate for a second..................

What control systems are there to stop a hard up dealer claiming warranty from Land Rover and charging the customer, thereby having their cake and eating it?

I am sure no stealer is this dishonest but................. Whistle

Post #41102829th Jan 2009 12:36 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

we're with TLO, would'nt mess with us disco3 guys Rolling with laughter

Post #41102929th Jan 2009 12:39 am
Jimbob Squarepants

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine has suffered from a squeaky EPB almost since I bought it (pre-registered vehicle with 17 miles on the clock, 4 months old). I took it back to the original dealers twice for this issue (second time coincided with 12 month service). It always squeaked again within a few days of me getting car back. For this reason I started to use a different dealer.

About 5 weeks ago I had a visit from LRA for an gearbox X-Y sensor problem. I discussed the EPB with him and he said I should take it to the dealer. So I tried to book it into my newly preferred dealer and they told me that as the car was over 12 months old they could not strip and clean the EPB under warranty.

After talking with LRCC they advised me to take it back to the original dealer and they should do it for free. So I booked it in for them to look at the EPB, A rattle, the gearbox sensor and a sinking drivers seat. They had the car for a whole day. Net result...nothing, apart from ordering parts for the seat. the other 3 faults all had the same excuse - we couldn't make it squeak/rattle/confuse the gearbox. I got a little annoyed and agreed they would pick up the car whilst I was offshore and keep it until all was fixed. They've had it 2 weeks now - net result....nothing again. Seat parts on back order, couldn't find any of the other faults. The car will be returned to me in the next couple of days.

I'm a bit more annoyed now. FFS Do they think I like being without my car and taking the time to drive 20 miles to the dealers? Or do they perhaps think I like them to clean it for me?

When I've calmed down I will send an e-mail to the service manager explaining exactly why they will be seeing my car once more....to have the seat parts fitted. After that I will pay another dealer to strip and clean the EPB. I am not worried by the squeaking I am concerned it may be binding and may lead to other problems.

Sorry for the long winded post.....rant over
 Too much intellectual firepower can damage your common sense.  
Post #41104029th Jan 2009 3:41 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

mine didn't squeel until i got it back from being serviced. Only squeeled going forwards at slowish speeds. Very annoying when pulling up at lights. The joke of a dealer even put 'epb squeek' on the service sheet. cheeky ####.

go figure.

I did some 20mph runs in reverse (on a disused airfield)and flicked the break on, cured the squeek.

pom

Post #41112929th Jan 2009 11:34 am
Dexter

Scotland 

We have a couple of site sponsors who are LR Dealers I believe - is there anything that they can add to help?
My D3s EPB was cleaned and adjusted under warranty at the first service but now occassionally squeaks on take off, if I'm expected to pay next time I'll do it myself or go to a £25/hour independant.

Dex

Post #41115729th Jan 2009 1:02 pm
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The thing that I think is wrong is this line from the service bulletin below. IMHO If you have had your car serviced by a main dealer inline with their service schedule then either the EPB is not fit for purpose or it was incorrectly serviced or it is a warrenty claim. Either way there should be no customer to pay.

"
NOTE: If the root cause of the parking brake issue is incorrect adjustment during a
previous service operation, a warranty claim cannot be made for the repair."

Also worth noting it the 1st time it screeches is the time to get it addressed

"NOTE: Unnecessary operation of a jammed or over - travelled EPB Actuator should be avoided. In the
jammed - over travelled condition the Actuator makes a screech noise when operated, the Actuator has a
limited life if operated. Avoid unnecessary operation of the Actuator once this condition has been
diagnosed"

Post #41123129th Jan 2009 2:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >