Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

How To - EPB repair/Unjam + Relatch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 23 of 36 <123 ... 222324 ... 343536>
DiscoSwede

Sweden 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Found my mistake. The square nut on the inner end of the thread of the LH cable was stuck in the plastic housing of the module. Now it's looking good,
Thank you Disco Mikey for excellent guide, and also everyone else who contributes!

Post #199431723rd Oct 2018 8:30 pm
oleg0767

Russia 2012 LR4 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourLR4
Consistent EPB problem

First of all much thanks to Disco_ Mikey I could do all as per his guiding, but still have constantly repeating same problem. A bit story…
I have recently bought Disco4 2012 with EPB fault light flushing and module famous sounds. Once open EPB discs found that shoes are crushed and discs a bit heated up. Looks like previous owner wasn’t been aware about emergency release cable as it was on place. So I unjam module as per Mikey’s guide, replaced with new shoes adjusted and performed bed in procedure referring Bodsy’s Brake Bible guiding as well as to Technical Bulletin SHU724 & SHU738. I was enjoying couple months using EPB but one day that sound come back. Had to pull unlatch EPB and repeat all above except changing shoes and bed in , but again I could enjoy only couple months and got my Disco up to shop 3rd time. So I start investigate what could be reason for… Once unjam\re-latch and shoes adjustments done again I just put cover back to the module and applied EPB then disengage. After check how rear wheels are free I find out that they still quiet tight holding with EPB. If you look attached photos you can see 1st one taken before applying brake and 2nd after disengaging you can see the small white plastic box(right hand ) with latched metal part ( left hand) are traveled a few mm to the left after EPB disengaged . My guessing is while I had been using EPB every time the shoes gets worn out a bit since brake not fully release so one day gap gets big enough to the brass threaded rod extend of travel and got jam. As for shoes adjustment I had tried 8 clicks turn back as advised ad Bodsy’s Bible and 10 clicks as stated at Technical Bulletin, but result is same every time after apply\disengage the wheels remained quit tight on brake. If anyone could advise me where to look at and what I might miss I would much appreciate. Unfortunately I’m not using EPB for now witch could cause later problem with automatic transmission if just keep on Parking as I was advised….

Post #199436024th Oct 2018 5:05 am
zulublue

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Jeez there's loads of info here, most seem to be stuck on, whereas mine is off and there is no motor / actuator noise, I don't know if it's a lose wire or something. I've checked the fuse under the bonnet and that seems ok.

Stumped.

Post #199448424th Oct 2018 2:10 pm
adr01

Poland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

I am the next one who used the Disco_Mikey guide

module unblocking - several hours of work - and success!

thanks a lot again for this guide - excellent work. Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #19986297th Nov 2018 6:17 pm
Damomerlin

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Any ideas how to get into this when the screws are like this.
Cheers my mechanic friend is about to give in

Post #200092515th Nov 2018 5:31 pm
garnerj

United Kingdom 2008 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3
Disco_Mikey = Legend

After having my epb jam on and having to use the emergency release I was dreading the worst! A quick scan of the forums and I found the brake bible and this guide. New shoes fitted becaus ethe previous ones were seized due to lack of maintenance by previous owner, a quick adjustment and cleanup and the. Onto the module! Took me two attempts as I had been at the brakes for hours the first time db just didn’t want to damage anything! Second time around and a second read of this post and people experiences and a rethink about my tools and I managed to unjam, wind back and adjust all within an hour. My trick, a trim removal tool, perfect angle to get the leverage needed to unjam the brass rod and all from the front without trashing my knuckles or the car!

Disco_mikey as the titles says, your an absolute legend with this post! Saved me a fortune, to spend on more bits for one of my landy’s.👍

2008 Disco3 2.7 Tdv6 HSE
2011 L322 Range Rover 4.4 Tdv8 Vogue SE
2002 P38 Range Rover 4.6 V8 Vogue Se 

Post #200767210th Dec 2018 7:49 am
AndyViking

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

All praise to Disco Mike👍👍

I live on a steep road and my drive is about 1:3 so doing anything more than the basics on my Disco 3 is impossible. Having searched high and low around the Sevenoaks area for someone to help, the very nice man at my local KwikFit volunteered to have a go. About an hour later we now have one fully functioning EPB.

Interestingly the mechanism did not need winding back per se, but just needed “helping back on track”. So in the gap at the right hand side of the mechanism (car offside)(between the case and the end of the brass rod with the black plastic end) I just needed to apply constant pressure against the case whilst the EPB was activated from the driver’s seat. Two or three goes and the gears and rods then all found their mesh and the EPB was working again. I guess it was just like a Thread on a nut and bolt that has been undone too far - once the nut and bolt found their mesh it was all plain sailing - if that makes any sense!

So Kudos to Sevenoaks KwikFit - a great mechanic who is not a master tech as they call them rolling his sleeves up and having a go for me. That’s what we need from garages - not just someone who fits and removes very expensive modules because someone else (mostly a leasing company!) is paying for them.
 D3 - 2008.5MY HSE, Stornaway Grey, RSE etc - all the toys
Grabber AT3s, Smoked Sweeping Side Repeaters
D4 Steering Wheel with BBS boards
IID BT Tool - happy to help with fault codes 

Post #200949015th Dec 2018 4:24 pm
johnlad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

many thanks for the guide, just fixed my epb module that had locked on and i had to pull the cable release, not a difficult think just very awkward access, used hammer and chisel to start turniing the brass bar, then stumpy driver once it was free, re latched and its all working Very Happy

Post #20148773rd Jan 2019 5:16 pm
mickpott88

so i got the loud screech as mentioned and my parking brake locked on.. so i pulled the manual emergency cable and the hand brake is still locked on the manual release didnt do anything, i cant adjust through the brake disc as the inspection hole isnt lined up, so ive spent all day after reading this guide trying to get into the EPB module, i finally got inside and the brass bar doesnt look like its jammed open to me like other pictures posted on the thread, it is half way and the EPB looks like its still latched. any ideas on how to get the hand brake from disengaging or is it still a case of winding the brass bar all the way (turn down) i have tried already to no avail i just dont have the space to move the hammer i may have to try the spare wheel approach.

Post #201856914th Jan 2019 7:35 pm
charlietortoise

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
EPB

Shocked
 Discovery 4 3.0 HSE 2010 year. I like it a lot. Now with winch 😂  
Post #201860914th Jan 2019 9:31 pm
Ncallan

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
If anyone needs any clarification on any steps, let me know, and I will do my best to explain, and hopefully update the 1st post. It makes sense to me, but I have done this repair enough to make sense to me Embarassed

Hi Mikey ,
Thanks for posting this , hopefully it’s gonna save me some money and my sanity.
Ok - I’m lying on my back my , feet are pointed towards the rear of the car my head towards the engine and im looking at the “Brass Rod” , to unjam it do I -
actually rotate the brass rod downwards ( towards the engine ) ?
Or lever it laterally sideways back through the “White gear housing” ?
Once unjammed can I use my GAP IIDTool to unwind the brass rod back into place ( I noticed an unjam feature on the EPB menu on my Gap IIDTool today 🤔) ?

Cheers Noel

Post #203771517th Mar 2019 2:49 pm
adm013

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have also had he dreaded squeak resulting in the EPB being jammed and then subsequently recovered but the AA. Unfortunately against better advice by both me and garage the recovery agent cut my right hand cable to get the car on the flat bed. Nugget.........a claim is in against them but that is a different story.

Has anyone changed this cable and point me in the direction of how it attaches internally? I will be opening up the EBP anyway to give it a visual and unjam it, but a bit of advice would be appreciated.

I have changed the full works on the back end regarding the brakes just to be sure.

Post #204076027th Mar 2019 1:59 pm
Ncallan

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well Iv finally got round to tackling my jammed EPB yesterday, sun was shining all day so no excuses not to get stuck in .
Firstly tackled the brake shoes and gave a good clean / sevice as per Bodsys bible ( cheers Bodsy Thumbs Up ) stripped down completely , good wire brushing / wd40 and copper grease where needed.
Then on to the EPB module, what a nightmare to work on but persistence pays off , hardest part I reckon was getting the glued on module cover off . In the end a small trim removal tool ( like mentioned above ☝️) worked a treat , prying off one corner to get it started .
I was extremely lucky that my IIDtool was able to unjam the module without me having to do it manually because I reckon it would of been an absolute nightmare.
Took a few minutes to wind the brass rod back all the way but got there in the end . Connected everything up adjusted the brake shoes a few tests of the activating the handbrake before gluing the cover back on and hey presto IT WORKS Very Happy ,
And all in just 7 hours Laughing , a few cups of tea in between and breaks to relieve hand and next muscle fatigue Shocked .
Thanks Micky and Bodsy Bow down

Post #204182631st Mar 2019 12:42 pm
Cryanmakin

England 2006 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Can anyone send me the link on how to repair handbrake, the full thing has been replaced but still getting the lights flashing on dashboard, I have tried changing the the handbrake switch but still now working, thanks

Post #204470410th Apr 2019 6:40 am
life - live it

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

Post #204547312th Apr 2019 7:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 23 of 36 <123 ... 222324 ... 343536>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >