DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

EPB Warranty Repair Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dixie Dean

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
EPB Warranty Repair Issues

Hi folks

Have had problems with the EPB. Took it several times to my selling dealer, Guy Salmon at Knutsford, but they couldn't find a problem. Recently it jammed the EPB on whilst stopped at traffic signals. I eventually freed it and next day took it into Hatfields Service Centre in Liverpool. They had it for 3 days but said there was a problem with the link to Land Rover and they couldn't check their info systems to see what was wrong. I did pop in at one point and found the technician try to find a break in the wiring. I had it back and the next Sunday (11 days ago) it jammed again. Land Rover Assist came out and said the EPB module was knackered.

I took it back to Hatfields and they where they downloaded the fault codes and said they would send it off to Land Rover for approval. I heard nothing so yesterday I rang again and they said they had to have it back again for a few days to do some more checks before the could get approval to do the repair when it would have to come in again.

Is this typical of getting a warranty fault repair done? We go caravanning a lot and I will have to put of a trip to find a couple of days to get it sorted.

To say I am not very impressed would be an understatement.

Should I try somewhere else, such as James Edwards? Your advice would be welcomed
 2008 D3 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather, towing a Coachman VIP 575  
Post #42133213th Feb 2009 5:22 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

It's tricky as LR won't pay for stripping cleaning and resetting the EPB under warranty, they do cover the module though if it fails so I guess your dealer has to try and confirm what is causing the issue.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #42133713th Feb 2009 5:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adam

United Kingdom 

Dixie
Mine jammed (luckilly on drive) just after Christmas - freed it myself
Was fixed FOC after 2 visits to dealer (Williams Mcr) on extended LR warranty as needed new harness
Your experience sounds unusual - I'd try another dealer in future

Post #42134113th Feb 2009 5:37 pm
jkp

Scotland 

Stealers do not do the strip and clean under warranty although they used to. I've been quoted £283 for them to do mine although that has been dropped to £213 after nearly falling over.

Not going to get it done the now as it'll only need done after Yarwell in March again. Poor design as mentioned in dispatches all over this forum.

Post #42134213th Feb 2009 5:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

what really Censored me off is this basic design has been in use by Volvo for over 20 years, with no real problem, the key difference is the use of the acutator to pull the cable instead of a handbrake lever.

Mine was cleaned out by the dealer last August (for £55), but then mid Jan, stuck on, but not on enough for me to notice, so 15miles up the M40 from Heathrow, with smoke and a very hot nearside wheel, there was me sitting on the hard shoulder.

I've replaced nearside h/brake shoes (and new rear discs and pads, as they weren't far off needing swapping anyway), but what bugs me, it wasnt full of crap when we stripped it down, so I dont know what caused it to stick, and I hate it when I havn't found the cause, as this means it might do it again.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #42136113th Feb 2009 6:10 pm
noggin

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
epb

Hi,had mine done at stratstones ,under warranty,told me they cleaned and recalibrated,by the time i got home brakes were squeaking+continued to do so eversince. Evil or Very Mad booked it sraight back in,.[/url]

Post #42136213th Feb 2009 6:13 pm
Snowy

England 

Mine goes in for a clean and adjustment on Monday as it kept screeching under load, when it was applied on a hill. They said it is due to the amount of mud that it has been exposed to Rolling Eyes and will cost me £170. The new steering wheel and new Bluetooth module with software upgrade Mr. Green is being done under warranty.
 The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us yet.  
Post #42136513th Feb 2009 6:15 pm
NJF

al cope wrote:
this basic design has been in use by Volvo for over 20 years, with no real problem, the key difference is the use of the acutator to pull the cable instead of a handbrake lever

So, remove actuator, drill hole in side of "transmission tunnel", fit Defender handbrake and connect cable and bob's your uncle? Probably simplistic but perhaps possible? (I have read most of the EPB posts on the site, so I know it's a little more involved than that.)

Maybe LR could sell an "MPB" as an extra cost option, on the grounds that it would pay for itself within 2 years? Wink

Post #42142313th Feb 2009 7:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >