Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

ETC and differentials
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
MrAnders

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Beeing norwegian I (unfortunatly) get to drive a lot in/on snow. I actually "had" to drive a fem hundred meters in snow late July this year, at our annual LR gathering at 1150 meters height.

Beeing 2 feet deep wet last years snow, the trick is 15 psi in your tires, 2. low and max throttle. When you get stuck, back up just one meter, and go again. Snow is very kind to your car, so use max power safely. Any diff locks and/or ESP should be turned on.

When the snow is dry and fluffy everthing is different. It will the build up of snow under your car that will stop you, lift your wheels of the ground. A winch and a tree or another car is actually the only way out. Hard to dig away compressed snow under your car. So, we drive carefully and one by one meter back and forth under these conditions. And know when to stop. You can generally drive with snow to your bumper if the snow is dry and to your wheel hubs if it`s wet.

The really really tricky condition is frosen ground, ice with fresh snow on top. Then we stay home and on the forums.

Snow chains do wonders, but are a hassle to fit and to drive on. Can cause nasty damages to ABS sensors, brakes etc is they loosen. The cheapest and most flexible trick is to lower your tire pressure to around 15 psi and have a small compressor onboard. It gives at least twice the friction on snow.

If you also have good winter tyres, Cooper Discovery M+S is the brand almost every norwegian LR runs on. Cheap but very good. This would again double your traction against a AT og MT tyre with like 30 psi.

With a standard D3 you really don`t need snow chains to go on roads like the Chrossier Blanche, but you need clean tyres (wash them with a degreaser like for engine wash) when you have finished the transport there, lower the pressure and drive wise. Bring along a piece of a rug in case you get stuck. Throw it under the spinning wheel.
 -05 TDV6 HSE dc5r  
Post #20204512th Sep 2007 10:10 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

We miss all the fun here in Africa - best we can hope for is some mud Laughing

Post #20206712th Sep 2007 10:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
snafu

Italy 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

MrAnders wrote:
<snip> please read http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic2688.html

You the man... Bow down

i really appriciate this tip "The really really tricky condition is frosen ground, ice with fresh snow on top. Then we stay home and on the forums." Thumbs Up

OT: a couple of months ago i was coming with my wife in oslo for a long weekend (by airplane obviously)... we did not cause some unexpected event happened. But we will come!

Post #20210112th Sep 2007 11:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >