Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

ETC and differentials
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
snafu

Italy 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
ETC and differentials

Hi, i'm italian so sorry me for my poor english...

Last friday i bought a brand new discovery 3 2.7Diesel HSE my08 (automatic gears, satellite navigator plus, etc.. etc..) but i still asking me "do i need to rear differential blockable?". Here in Italy it's an option and i didn't put it cause my land rover shop said that the central one electronically blockable and the ETC control is enought.

First of all you need to know that i'll never do offroad but in the winter time i'll go every weekends to the italian mountains to go snowboard, so 100% i'll need to go up and down to mountains roads full of snow.

I need to understand how is working the ETC and the 3 differentials?

I know that the central differential is electronically and automatic blocked from the car and that the rear differential is not blockable (it's an option).

With the central differential i'm ok if one o both wheels of the same axle (for example the front axle) are sleeping.

But if are sleeping two wheels of a different axle (for example the right front wheel and the left rear wheel) am i stocked? In this case, in a regular 4x4, i need to look the rear differential or the front differential but i can't in the discovery 3.
So in this case how is working the ETC in the discovery 3? I'm really stocked or the ETC will help me and keep traction on my car?

Can you help me to have no doubts?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by snafu on 10th Sep 2007 12:37 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20122010th Sep 2007 12:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Great post, and welcome! A very funny post. Anyway, the real answer to your question is easy - you will be fine. In snow conditions, simply choose the snow option with Terrain Response, you will be amazed where it will go. If you go really loco, put some chains on and the car will be unstoppable. Enyjoy, and rest assured that you will go further than any other vehicles except for the ones with tracks and skis up front!

Post #20122610th Sep 2007 12:22 pm
snafu

Thanks a lot for your answer Thumbs Up ... everybody teel me "don't worry, you'll go anywhere"

But i'd like to know how is working all the electronic/mechanic system.

Ok, i'll set the terrain control on "snow program" so what?!? How the electronic will run in this program?!?

P.s.: the post it's funny cause it's full of mistakes?!? Big Cry

Post #20122910th Sep 2007 12:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

Your English is better than my Italian! The rear diff cars are more capable than non euipped ones, but most people will never test their cars to that level. I've never driven in deep snow, but certainly in slippery conditions the standard D3 is very very capable. I'm sure some of the owners that have driven in deep snow will tell you their thoughts.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #20123810th Sep 2007 12:55 pm
DiscoStu

England 

snafu wrote:
P.s.: the post it's funny cause it's full of mistakes?!? Big Cry

Well, we can understand it Thumbs Up I only know 5 words in Italian Embarassed

Welcome to the site Very Happy

The D3 will use the anti-lock brakes (locking the spinning wheel) as well as diff locks to help you get unstuck
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #20123910th Sep 2007 12:56 pm
snafu

thanks to everybody...

it's sounds great to speak with people from others country... this is the power of internet.

Post #20124410th Sep 2007 1:04 pm
ArcFro

Finland 

snafu,

Unfortanately I'm not able to give you technical explenation how diff's and DCS are working together. However, I've made a bit of driving in snow up here in Finland and I can assure to you that D3 is VERY capable in snow too.

But, once you get stucked you are (literally) in deep trouble. Big Cry It took me one hour to dig it out once snow was very tightly packed under car's body. Things were even worse since I don't have air suspension (coils). On that day I made promise to myself that next D3 will be with terrain response...

Post #20127710th Sep 2007 2:40 pm
snafu

Mine has terrain respons and pneumatic suspension... it will be delivererd in january 2008 and it's a long time.

I'm really happy and excite wainting my new "toy"...

Post #20128110th Sep 2007 3:01 pm
ArcFro

Finland 

So I figured out from your profile. This enables you to get in even deeper trouble Wink

I've also once driven D3 with snow chains. It did move boundaries of snow driving beyond my imagination Shocked

Post #20128210th Sep 2007 3:08 pm
snafu

I can't wait until january... but i have too Crying or Very sad

Post #20128610th Sep 2007 3:20 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I was told by the instructor at Land Rover Experience that the rear diff will not lock when you select sand and gravel/snow mode . This is because it can promote under steer in these conditions . Not sure how true this is , but you might pay for something that will never be activated in any case Shocked

Post #20128910th Sep 2007 3:24 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Bear in mind that the diffs on the D3 do not actually ever lock - they are progressive and can vary the amount of power delivered to their outputs/wheels.

If the diff locked 100%, the electronics would never be able to detect that the condition that required the locking had ended - for this reason it never makes it to 100%. For the same reason, ABS never permanently locks a wheel : if it stops rotating it releases it to try again.

The different terrain modes adjust the starting percent of loading of the diffs to provide the optimum result for the chosen conditions.

Simply put, if you don't have the electronic rear diff, the car uses the brakes at each individual corner to mimic/copy what the active diff would have done, so the active diff is a nice to have but not necessary feature unless you're really trying to get stuck.

In my experience, the car is much more capable than I am off road, even without the rear active diff Wink

Just one more thing - somewhere there's another post that recommends different settings when snow gets deep; but I can't find it at the moment - can anyone else find it?

Snafu, welcome to the site, and believe me your English is a lot better thans some Brits I've met Exclamation
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #20142210th Sep 2007 9:19 pm
snafu

Thanks a lot for you help... i really think that i don't need the rear differential blockable.

The only BIG problem right now is that i must wait for 4 months... the dealer was able to deliver me the car at the end of november or beginning of december but i ask him to matricolate it in january so i don't loose one year for just one months

Post #20152711th Sep 2007 7:46 am
buzz

England 

snafu

enough said Bow down
 Gone.......but not forgotten

06 Zermatt 7 seat auto with PDC and privacy

Club £400 V.E.D. 

Post #20198112th Sep 2007 4:29 am
snafu

i already saw it few days ago... i just need to understand witch kind of thermic tires i need to put on...

Post #20199312th Sep 2007 7:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >