Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Excessive Nearside Front Tyre Wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gaza

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Excessive Nearside Front Tyre Wear

I've had an issue with tracking as detailed in this thread - http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic48402-30.html - but I don't believe it can account for the excessive wear. The car has done about 27,500 miles. It is fitted with 18" alloys with Goodyear Wranglers. The rears are still in very good nick with at least 5mm. The offside front has approximately 4mm. The nearside front was punctured and replaced at about 13,000 miles but is down to the wear bars despite doing about half the mileage of the rest.

The tech at the indie who did the 4 wheel alignment suggest that there may be a diff issue causing the excessive wear rather than the misaligned tracking. The wear was consisted across the tyre.

Any thoughts?

Post #64291629th Apr 2010 9:00 pm
Ade

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

My nearside seems to wear more aswell Question

I've had ball joints changed, lower arms, track rods, numerous alignments when these items were changed and it still wears more

I just dont know what to put it down too?

Is it the roads I drive on, constant similar routes? Traction control putting more power down to that wheel?

Post #64310030th Apr 2010 8:58 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

To ensure the alignment is spot on you need to get the computer to put it into geometry set/tight tolerance mode before the alignment is done. Indie may not know this; they will need Autologic/IDS/Faultmate.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #64316730th Apr 2010 12:22 pm
Gaza

If you click the link you would see that the Dealer put it in to Tight Tolerance before the car went to the Indie. The dealer did not have the capability to do 4 wheel alignment.

Post #64316830th Apr 2010 12:27 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Embarassed
Does the dealer use the indie you used?
It could have been done wrong.
Is it wearing unevenly or is it that oneor both front tyres are just wearing quicker?

There was an issue with bush settle on early models but an alignment once settled sorted the wear issues.

Check the front diff where the axles and drive shaft enter and look for wet patches. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #64317730th Apr 2010 1:04 pm
Gaza

In the first instance I contacted the Indie who said they did not have the ability to put it in to TT mode so I would have to go to the stealer first. They are located only a couple of miles apart. The indie does all the 4 wheel aligment for the stealers as they don't have the kit. It sounds like a cosy arrangement.

The car is a 2008.5 so should not suffer from the issues. The wear was even. There was slightly more on one edge, no doubt due to the misaligned suspension, but the main part of the tyre was evenly worn.

Post #6434911st May 2010 6:38 am
JimboD3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My 2006 06MY does exactly the same - wears the outer edge of the front n/s tyre. I had all four tyres replaced in July 09, and 4-wheel alignment done at the same time (by the dealer once the tyre place had replaced the rubber).....since then I've done just over 18,000 miles and the f/n/s is looking worn - not illegal yet, but probably only got a couple of thousand miles left on it.

I'm putting it down to my driving style, I like to get where I'm going in a reasonable time, safely, but not exactly hanging around - and over 2.5ton of vehicle on a right hand bend/corner/roundabout is going to take its toll on the rubber !
 Jim
Standard TDV6 HSE
Non-standard Td5 110 Hardtop

Club Traxide 

Post #6435361st May 2010 10:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >