Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Exhaust rattle (pulse) on idle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
purplebadger

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Exhaust rattle (pulse) on idle

First non-hello post, so please go easy.

Got my used late-2010 D4 last week and have been absolutely loving it. My face fell a little today when I stood outside the car while it was idling and noticed a rattle coming from the driver's side rear. Was almost a slow, pulsing rattle as the engine turned over, but not in time with the engine - much slower. Once I got the car home, I had another look and realised if I put even a little pressure on the pipe the noise would stop, so I'm guessing something in the mounting towards the end of the exhaust has gone wrong or become loose.

I wasn't sure of etiquette about reviving old posts, but this sounds like a very similar issue - but I don't really want to take a mallet to it!

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic107205.html

I'm not *hugely* mechanically minded, but if it is just the last mount (I think it's this part? http://britishparts.co.uk/products/8126-exhaust-mount-DBP7104), can anyone tell me how complicated it'd be to fix myself?

That and any other advice very much appreciated.

Post #131522023rd Jul 2014 10:30 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Broken compressor bracket. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #131525023rd Jul 2014 11:06 pm
purplebadger

You think? Do you not have to jack it up using it, or otherwise damage it, for it to specifically go?

Edit: or, is there anything else I can do to confirm that diagnosis? Would it make more noise at particular heights, for example?

Would holding the exhaust make that stop rattling? I figured it's a mounting on the exhaust itself. If I apply pressure to the one in the picture I linked to, it stops altogether.

Post #131528423rd Jul 2014 11:57 pm
caverD3

Embarassed When you said pipe, I thought you meant air hose.

Have a good look and bend bits to suit wouls be easier. Unless the rubber mount is actually broken or missing. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #131528624th Jul 2014 12:10 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

More than likely just a heat shield touching the exhaust, or there is a known issue with the rear part of the exhaust, covered under a TSB

Thumbs Up

EDIT:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic63379.html

The Large One wrote:
MartinR wrote:
Topix has a bulletin that sounds related: LTB00479v2 3.0L TDV6 Exhaust Weld
Don't suppose anyone knows what it says?

SECTION: 309-00
3.0L TDV6 Exhaust Weld
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Discovery 4 / LR4 (LA)
Model Year: 2010-2012
VIN: AA510178-CA638508

Range Rover Sport (LS)
VIN: AA212145-CA771688

MARKETS:
All Diesel Markets
CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation:
This bulletin is for information only.

This version has been issued for a change to the Summary.

NOTE: The one piece exhaust is production fit only. For service repairs where the weld has broken prior to the cut off VIN numbers please refer to TOPIx Workshop Manual, section 309-00 Exhaust System for repair guidance.

A new (weld less) one piece exhaust system has now been introduced from Production from the following VIN numbers – Discovery 4 – CA638508 Range Rover Sport – CA771688

If appropriate a local repair of the weld can be claimed under a ZZZ001 warranty claim.

Cause: Poor weld during manufacturing of the exhaust at the supplier.
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #131530124th Jul 2014 6:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
purplebadger

caverD3 wrote:
Embarassed When you said pipe, I thought you meant air hose.

Have a good look and bend bits to suit wouls be easier. Unless the rubber mount is actually broken or missing. Idea

Sorry, I wasn't clear, but I did mean the metal exhaust pipe and not a hose of any kind. If I put even a little pressure on it the rattling decreases dramatically, and if I hold it firm it stops completely, so I'm reasonably sure it's "just" a mounting somewhere.

The rubber part could be broken - it's a bit difficult to tell - but it's definitely there and not missing. One obvious thing I should've done was look at the other side to see if it's significantly different. I'll check that out this evening and maybe see if I can get a decent photo.

Thanks!

Post #131545924th Jul 2014 3:01 pm
purplebadger

Disco_Mikey wrote:
More than likely just a heat shield touching the exhaust, or there is a known issue with the rear part of the exhaust, covered under a TSB

Thumbs Up

EDIT:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic63379.html

The Large One wrote:
MartinR wrote:
Topix has a bulletin that sounds related: LTB00479v2 3.0L TDV6 Exhaust Weld
Don't suppose anyone knows what it says?

SECTION: 309-00
3.0L TDV6 Exhaust Weld
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Discovery 4 / LR4 (LA)
VIN: AA510178-CA638508

Range Rover Sport (LS)
VIN: AA212145-CA771688

MARKETS:
All Diesel Markets
CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation:
This bulletin is for information only.

This version has been issued for a change to the Summary.

NOTE: The one piece exhaust is production fit only. For service repairs where the weld has broken prior to the cut off VIN numbers please refer to TOPIx Workshop Manual, section 309-00 Exhaust System for repair guidance.

A new (weld less) one piece exhaust system has now been introduced from Production from the following VIN numbers – Discovery 4 – CA638508 Range Rover Sport – CA771688

If appropriate a local repair of the weld can be claimed under a ZZZ001 warranty claim.

Cause: Poor weld during manufacturing of the exhaust at the supplier.

Thanks, that sounds very plausible. The description of it sounding like a washing machine on low cycle is particularly accurate.

Urgh. This sounds expensive. Sad

Post #131546224th Jul 2014 3:04 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

my money is on a stone/clay stuck between the exhaust and the chassis. happened a few times on my D4 and D3 towards the back where the exhaust splits to two pipes

have you been road recently (or has the previous owner been offroad) - if not - then its something else !!!
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #131546924th Jul 2014 3:14 pm
purplebadger

Nope, not been off road ever, as far as I can tell. It's certainly done a lot of miles for its age, but it's in pretty much showroom condition otherwise.

Will have a proper look underneath tonight though, see what I can find.

Post #131548924th Jul 2014 3:48 pm
purplebadger

So here's a picture of the component to which if I apply a little pressure, the noise stops completely: http://i.imgur.com/fz44ivJ.jpg

It's the oval shaped, rubber mounting (apologies for blurriness, quite difficult to get a phone to focus under there).

It could not be that thing, of course, and holding it just hides the problem, but it really does feel like something's just come a bit loose. I had the car up and down in the various ride positions and didn't have an issue.

I had a look at the other side though, and it doesn't appear to be different. It's difficult to tell from the angle.

The part itself is very cheap - would fitting it be similarly so, or am I getting ahead of myself in having "diagnosed" the problem?

Many thanks for all your replies, btw. This is a friendly and helpful place. Smile

Post #131561724th Jul 2014 7:38 pm
caverD3

If the weld id broken LR should fix under warranty. Known issue of a component failure. Even outside of the warranty they should come to the party.
Find out who serviced it and if a dealer speak to them.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #131574624th Jul 2014 11:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >