Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

Extend service plan / guaranty or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Willem

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Extend service plan / guaranty or not?

Hi, I took delivery of my LR D3 TDV6 a few weeks ago (ex Toyota driver). I just love it, but need to know more about D3 and 4x4’ing. Read almost all the post and have a lot of questions (all in good time). Firstly, can anyone help me regarding guaranty and service plans, is it worth while and deem necessary to extend it after the 3 years plan has expired or must I rather opt to pay for service myself? Question

Post #21811425th Oct 2007 2:55 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I didn't take the extended warranty because the salesman talked me out of it Shocked

But I think I'm going to do it as I will never cover the 100 000 km in 3 years . The main reason is not so much the costs of the servicing , but more the cost of any repairs that may be needed . (But there won't be any of those , right Rolling Eyes )

Post #21817825th Oct 2007 5:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Willem,

Firstly welcome to the forum. You'll find all your answers here Thumbs Up

By coincidence I was chatting to my local dealer about the warranty extension 2 days ago. Don't be under the impression that you have to take out the extended warranty when you buy the vehicle. I was advised that you could extend up until about two months before expiry of your standard warranty (something to do with a no claim period). The procedure would be something along the lines of book your car in for a check to see nothing major is wrong (for which you pay about a grand), and when they give you the all clear extend the warranty to suit your needs. If something's amiss then LR fix it under the standard warranty anyway. I think it's about 20 grand to take it to 5 year 120k.

As Heine said it's not the servicing that's expensive but rather the parts.

By the way I was at school with two guys from Letsitele (it was 20 odd years ago), Graham van Zyl and Oliver Kietzman (sp?). Are they still around?

Enjoy the vehicle

Rob

Post #21829626th Oct 2007 5:44 am
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Unless things have changed since I left, although the warranty has a Land Rover badge on it, it is run by Warranty Administrators Pty Ltd, and not an extended LR Factory warranty. That warranty is not worth the paper it is written on IMHO.

Bottom line, don't drive a LR out of warranty in SA.
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #21847326th Oct 2007 4:12 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Pierre has a point. A friend of mine with an old RR took extended warranty, and had his engine overheat because of a burst water pipe. No warranty, because the water pipes were excluded! Read the fine print very carefully if you are interested in taking out this extended cover. In my opinion, its not worth it. Rather trade the vehicle in for a new model, like we do with wimmenfolk sometimes Smile

Post #21854126th Oct 2007 7:51 pm
Willem

Thank you all for the welcome and the support. Think I will opt for the extended service plan then, not that one will need it Very Happy

Post #21872527th Oct 2007 6:38 pm
heine

Willem please let me know the cost involved

Post #21874627th Oct 2007 7:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sniffmydiff

South Africa 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Cairns BlueLR3

HI All,

I bought my Disco at 99500 odd kms. I bought the extended maintenance plan(underwritten by Motorite),
it cost R36K for another 3 years or 60 000 km's.
I have had the car for about 4 months now, and have already used up more than R36 000 worth.
I have only had 1 issue, which was the park brake locking the rear left brake on the freeway Shocked
New disks, pads, cable and acuator switch = R15K.
I have had one service, cant remember the figure.
The rest of the money has come out of LR doing a kak job on the 126 point check. The one refered to above to ensure the vehicle is is good order to extend the warranty and maintenance plan. It was more and excercise of checking the pen was working ticking all the boxes than actually checking the car. Even my clutch was ticked ok,
which is midly interesting in an auto.
I am getting a new head light at next service, it mists up water inside when it rains R10 000 (yes, that is the correct number of zeros). New sunroof, (thanks to this fantastic site) R12 000, and my seat kept on going down and I would have to leift it everyday, (no weight comments !!) R16000- had to replace the whole seat base.
And lastley got a hydraulic bottle jack as the scissor one had stripped. R900. Dont everyone get excited, it is not nearly like the D2 bottle jack. It did manage to lift the car though, I had the workshop manager show me it could Very Happy, it is probably as skinny as a can of deodarant with a double piston to lift it high enough (23cm if youre interested).
So in my opinion it is worth it. Although it was a bit of a battle to get Motorite to come to the party, the agreement is very vague is some areas, which they try and hide behind.

Post #21905329th Oct 2007 7:59 am
Willem

heine wrote:
Willem please let me know the cost involved

Hallo Heine,

According to my dealer you can extend it to 5 years 140 000km (extra 2 years 40 000km) for approx R 23170 or 6 years 160 000km (3 years 60 000km) for R 36606. Other options are also available if you have less than 40 000km on the clock.

Willem

Post #21912129th Oct 2007 1:20 pm
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sniffmydiff

Please tell us more on how the vehicle reacted when the electronic park brake locked on one wheel ?

The manual informs that epb can be engaged at high speeds as emergency braking.

Post #21916129th Oct 2007 3:49 pm
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Bottlejack

Hey sniffmydiff,

I was thinking of getting the LR bottlejack too - do you happen to have the part no? also, you have air suspension i assume.

Post #21917729th Oct 2007 4:55 pm
heine

Where do you place the jack . Under the axle or the same as the scissor jack ?

Post #21924129th Oct 2007 8:18 pm
heine

Willem Thumbs Up will go see dealer soon

Post #21924329th Oct 2007 8:22 pm
sniffmydiff

South Africa 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Cairns BlueLR3

Deondef - The vehicle felt like it had all of a sudden lost all the wheel balancing weights on that side. Terrible vibration and noise. It didnt lock the brakes on and hold it dead, it was braking like how ABS works. Lucky I was right near home.

Jonty - yes I do have air suspension. I dont have the part number for the jack with me. The jack itself doesnt even have a LR sticker or any LR indication on it. More chinese writing on it than anything else. It is refered to as the "D3 Replacement Bottle jack" by the dealers.

Heine - "They" jacked the Landy up in the same place as where the scissor jack would go on the chassis. But it doesnt have a nipple on the lifting edge like the scissor jack does to locate it onto the chassis

Post #21936530th Oct 2007 7:41 am
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

sniffmydiff wrote:
The jack itself doesnt even have a LR sticker or any LR indication on it. More chinese writing on it than anything else. It is refered to as the "D3 Replacement Bottle jack" by the dealers.

It sounds like you were ripped off. I have had jacks replaced, and all the jack of all the Landies I ever owned has LR badges on it. Shocked

Do you even get Landies in China? Rolling Eyes
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #21946130th Oct 2007 2:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >