Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Factory gadgets - Australia - are they worth it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Is it worth the extra money to buy the factory installed sat nav?
Yes
44%
 44%  [4]
No
55%
 55%  [5]
Total Votes: 9

disco_potter

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Factory gadgets - Australia - are they worth it?

Just in the process of finalising my order for a new Disco SE. Trying to decide whether to shell out for the Technology Pack. Does anyone, especially in Australia, have an opinion on whether it is worth the extra? Also wondering if they new iPod connectivity module that is installed in the glove box works well with the iPhone 3G. I've seen a couple of posts on this topic but keen for a response from Australian users. Really looking forward to upgrading from my Disco 2 to the new motor though will be sad to see the old one go - a really reliable vehicle.

Many thanks

P.S. Does anyone know the part No of the new iPod connectivity module?

Post #40387317th Jan 2009 4:40 am
Neil Pettersen

$ 6250 ! don't get stiffed ...... keep your money in your pocket... that's half a Hyundai Getz OTR Shocked
You've saved $1800 on the paint , don't start giving it them back.

http://www.landrover.com.au/assets/au/en/v...e_List.pdf

. A sat phone rather than sat nav would be more use to many up here

.are you getting 17 , 18 or 19 inch wheels ?
. factory tints ?
. locking diff ?

....... if you won't be residing up here for long, consider Cold Pack. Neutral

This will do for blue tooth and only $149 ;

http://www.blueant.com.au/s3_handsfree.htm ....... announces caller from your phone book and transportable too !

....... welcome to the fold Thumbs Up

Post #40387417th Jan 2009 4:56 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

These upgrades are a rip off. If you want a decent system go afermarket. The SE comes with premiun sound now as standard anyway. GPS and Blueteeth can be added as well an onboard computing which will give you a more flexible package and for lot less.
Spend your money on the electronic rear diff which cannot be added later and maybe adaptive headlights. Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #40387817th Jan 2009 6:30 am
andym

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Definitely the fitted option. No wires. Sits nicely in the dash. Good system. Worst things in my car is anything with a wire. Speed camera detectors. In car DVDs a honey pot for thieves. If your spending the cash get the nav

Post #40392317th Jan 2009 10:50 am
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I went the aftermarket Kenwood option which is dealt with under this section of the site as others have also done it. You miss out on the Land Rover 4WD fancy display but you save a truckload - enough for the rear diff lock etc etc. Mine was fitted in one day at Strathfield Car Audio in Perth and I ended up with:

Fush mounted 7 inch Kenwood screen in same space LR screen goes with remote;
glove box mounted iPOD (as per LR)
Kenwood / Garmin sat nav to screen - with unit under passenger seat with SD card access etc
Blue Tooth phone with all contacts etc displayed on the Kenwood screen
Digital TV; (can be linked to the roof mounted DVD player if fitted so you can watch DVD's on both screens)
Rear View Camera to Kenwood screen;
and
complete integration of all items to LR radio and CD via Kenwood Integration Unit

Total cost fitted in WA was around $4300. The Strathfield guys had fitted already 12 units to D3 and RRS I recall so I anticipated they knew what they were on about - they did! Thumbs Up
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #40394017th Jan 2009 11:13 am
Jamo

Australia 

I have premium satnav.

It depends what you want it for really.

The 4X4 info is really useful, particularly in mud or if your getting hung up.

The Satnav for towns/cities/road navigation is second to none. The quality is streets ahead of aftermarket versions.

With the premium Satnav you also get off road nav - compared to aftermarket versions, it's rubbish! There is no off road map detail for australia and you can't load any into it.

I'm glad I got it, but I use the on road nav and the 4x4 info regularly.

As to whether it's worth the money - I'd say no; but what genuine accessory is worth the money LR charge?
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #40398217th Jan 2009 12:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Neil Pettersen

Jamo,

How much is the LR SatNav update disc , how often are they released and how "up to date" is it( eg Toyota Sensis disc update was previous UBD year ! very useful that was Rolling Eyes ) ?

Post #40427117th Jan 2009 11:49 pm
caverD3

That's another point update discs for the LR system are very expensive. If you have something that can run oziexplorer you can even make your own from google maps or google earth.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #40431018th Jan 2009 1:23 am
Jamo

Australia 

Last time I bought one it was $500. Expensive but accurate or WA. It's from Sensis via LR. You can buy direct from WhereIS for cheaper but you lose some functionality.

The first update I bought in late05 cost $1700! Shocked Shocked Shocked
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #40446218th Jan 2009 1:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

And you thought the compressor was expensive? Wink
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #40446518th Jan 2009 2:09 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jamo wrote:
As to whether it's worth the money - I'd say no; but what genuine accessory is worth the money LR charge?

Active rear diff - at $1050 retail, it is a bargain. Well, compared to the prices LR charge for toys/gadgets.

Post #40639920th Jan 2009 11:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >