Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Faulty Fuel Gauge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Feis

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I have the same problem , asa short term measure, everytime i refuel, i disconnect and the reconnect the battery. When i start the engine, the fuel will show correctly for 20 seconds then vanish,. But the car will drive for the amount of fuel / miles left that are shown for the 20 seconds before going into limp mode.
So if your car goes into limp mode, do the above and if you have fuel it will reset the distance to limp mode.
Not sure if my problem is also to do with the connectors? Maybe someone can shed some light.

Post #22945446th Jun 2022 2:11 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

second time i have this fault now. Thought it had been fixed properly the first time but obviously not. Is there a permanent fix??

Post #229506210th Jun 2022 8:47 am
asj968

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I have a similar problem but doesn’t sound identical. My gauge starts off at the correct level but over time - say 30 mins but this is dependent on how full the tank is , it slowly goes down to zero. If I switch off then restart it goes to the correct level again and the whole process starts again. So essentially I am pulling over every 30 mins or so to artificially refuel it. When the level gets down to a mile or so on the range, I also get the hesitation like the engine is starting to starve of fuel. Utter madness. Do I assume this is also the connectors??
 Porsche 968 Cabrio
Discovery 4 HSE 3.0 

Post #23320502nd Apr 2023 3:01 pm
asj968

Apologies should have said D4 HSE
 Porsche 968 Cabrio
Discovery 4 HSE 3.0 

Post #23320512nd Apr 2023 3:02 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It's a progressive fault. You can ignore it for a while with no ill effects and possibly longer if it works for a bit then goes off again. But eventually the vehicle will grind to a halt. It'll start again and run for a few minutes then cut out again. That was a fraught journey to the garage! At least that was my experience.

It was indeed the connections on top of the in-tank fuel pump. And the only way to get to them is to drop the tank. (unlike some other cars that cleverly have an inspection cover in the floor of the boot). The fix itself is simply making good the connections. But you may feel that whilst it's out, you might as well just renew the whole pump. Which is what I did. Not strictly necessary, but not too bad an idea I thought.

Post #23325476th Apr 2023 12:12 pm
asj968

So I had the connectors done at a cost of £300 inc labour - I think the replacement connector kit was only about £18. The problem was still there.

So the garage said the only other option was to replace the sender unit so a further £950. Driven it out this morning and the gauge is still dropping.

Any further suggestions as to what I can look at as I’m a bit frustrated at Spending £1250 and no better off!!
 Porsche 968 Cabrio
Discovery 4 HSE 3.0 

Post #23355415th May 2023 9:50 am
Maarten1973

Norway 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My 2010 disco 4 came back after an engine swap. Drove normal for 750 k.Since I had trouble with the epb module, which does not react to anything and does not react to IDD tool either, I removed it to inspect the inside workings. Then on the return drive from the first oil change, it started giving the same shudder as described in an earlier post in this thread: .

´started to shudder, then back to normal - It kept doing this every say 15 seconds.. for a few minutes. It felt like a miss fire ´-

At the same time it started showing empty fuel with flickered too full and back to empty under hard braking. I read on another forum that removing, or fault codes on the EPB module can give trouble on the fuel sensor?

I am a bit confued as where to start looking.
Is my EPB module broken (it is removed from my car, can't test it, but all moving parts move)
Cable trouble: Body has been off during engine replacement, something damaged during that operation? But it drove faultlessly for 750k. cable connections /sender in the fuel tank? Fault showed up after removel of the epb module.
Stupid car. Nothing wrong with a good mechanical handbrake:/.

Post #233763024th May 2023 7:28 pm
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

I did mine on the drive. There is a couple of pics in this link.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/discovery-4...teve+gauge
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #233764524th May 2023 8:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >