Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

FBH, engine cut-off and how to be embarassed...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
FBH, engine cut-off and how to be embarassed...

Hi all,

tried (albeit briefly) to find a response to my questions on the forum... Confused

So two questions have been bugging me... 1) how can I tell if my MY08 has the FBH fitted (would it show up in the diagnostic screen if it was? How can I make it work if it is?) and 2) -read below-

Took the car off-road for the second time last Sat, very pleasant tracks in the snowy mountains of the north Peloponese (area in Greece). While all was fine, we (another 3 4x4s were part of the trip) found a nice little muddy hill, probably around 35 degrees steep, grass covered in mud... Being new, I had hoped the D3 would make me proud... Yet of the 4, it was the only one not to make it up that hill, even in the hands of more experienced off-roaders Embarassed We all concluded the P0 Scorpions are to blame Whistle

The thing that scared me though is that after the 10th or so attempt, while half way up the hill and with the wheels frantically spinning in 3rd gear, the engine cut-off and refused to restart. All systems were showing ok, but it wasn't until I removed the key and re-inserted it that the engine re-started. Is this a known "self-protection" feature and if so what are the parameters that trigger it (temperature, loss of traction, over-revving???)

Any help on these will be much appreciated. Over to the tyres thread now to check out how to get back to that hill successfully Wink (the other cars were an 80s RR Vogue, a new-ish Pajero Pinin and a Cherokee -the only with off-road tyres-) Shocked Embarassed Shocked Embarassed

Post #40392717th Jan 2009 10:53 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Did you switch off the DSC before attempting the hill?

Post #40393217th Jan 2009 11:02 am
discoBizz

Unnecessary quote removed

Yup, tried every possible combination of terrain response, with/without DSC, with/without HDC, auto, auto sport, manual in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.. admittedly I didn't try the solution of flooring it 20m before the hill and hope for the best like the RR did (seeing it bounce on it's way up put me off!!!)

Post #40393417th Jan 2009 11:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well there's your answer. Momentum is your friend Thumbs Up

Post #40393617th Jan 2009 11:11 am
discoBizz

Smile Perhaps I'll try it next time, though I need to overcome my fear of rolling the car over (I still haven't got used to the tilts, puts me on edge...)

Any suggestions on the questions I raised?

Post #40394417th Jan 2009 11:17 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If you have an FBH, it will be behind the left hand headlamp unit, it is a square box, silver and black, with a small exhaust and silencer, also will have a black cylindrical air intake. It will also have pipes and wires associated with it.

Post #40395617th Jan 2009 11:34 am
discoBizz

Right, it's there! Very Happy

But to the best of my knowledge, it has never worked (the cabin heater blows cold air until the engine temperature rises)...

The manual only makes mention of it coming on automatically, and states I may see exhaust fumes coming from the bonnet (which I never have). Is there a "manual" was of activating it?

Post #40396317th Jan 2009 11:50 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

No its automatic, and it is correct that you will get little cabin heat until the coolant temp rises. The FBH helps the coolant heat up quicker.

The best way to check it is working is to start the engine from cold, on a cold day (less than 6 degrees) and watch the exhaust outlet of the FBH for smoke, it can take about a minute for anything to happen.

Post #40396417th Jan 2009 11:56 am
al cope

England 

but this guy's in Greece - has it been below 5Deg C there?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #40396617th Jan 2009 12:00 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I think the reference to the 'snowy mountains' is the clue Wink
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #40396917th Jan 2009 12:08 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Biz wrote:
The manual only makes mention of it coming on automatically, and states I may see exhaust fumes coming from the bonnet (which I never have). Is there a "manual" was of activating it?

mmm... so why do we get so many "I have smoke coming out of the front of my D3" calls for help Rolling Eyes

Biz... you may not see much in the way of fumes - some are smoky some are not. Best way is to listen... you can hear the thing running quite easily. Also pop the bonnet... and put your near the silver box... but DONT touch it... it gets flipping hot.

Cold air should not some in the cabin of the heating is set to auto. It will wait until the air it can blow in is warmer than the cabin temperature... it may feel cool but it should actually be warmer than the air around you.

Mines starts blowing a few minutes after switch on, not right away.

The only way to have control over it is to fit the Webasto timer / remote kit. Others here have so you could do a search and find out more, no idea on cost. (G - you have haven't you ???)

As for the hill, more momentum was probably the issue. The road tyres are pretty good off road as long as you can keep going. I found the Scorpions not quite as good as Wrangler's. Without actually seeing what the hill was like its hard to say TBH.

Have a look at getting some AT tyres next time you need to change.

Post #40400317th Jan 2009 1:11 pm
Getafix

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

couldn't make it up the hill - what tyre pressures are you running?
 <*(((<<  
Post #40401017th Jan 2009 1:35 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Quote:
but this guy's in Greece - has it been below 5Deg C there?

it was b Censored y freezing when we went in May a few years ago Confused
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #40403017th Jan 2009 2:48 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

http://www.despotiko-portaria.com/winter.html

Whistle

Post #40403217th Jan 2009 2:55 pm
discoBizz

All,

many thanks for your replies! I can confirm it is actually working (must have looked really daft to the neighbours staring at the corner of the engine bay!!!). The temp is actually 4C at the moment in the north subs of Athens... Hoping for some snow soon (it was -1 to -3C during our little daytrip).

Now with regards to that trip, (and in reply to Getafix), I did run the entire track on stock pressures for an empty vehicle (what the sill plate says - cant recall right now), which I guess I should have decreased (?) given the muddy terrain?

But I still can't figure out why the engine cut-off and refused to re-start... Confused Confused

(BTW contrary to popular belief, there are some fab winter and c-ooo-l-d excursions to be had in Greece, not quite Alpine but very nice indeed - see "Disco in the mist")

Post #40406917th Jan 2009 4:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >