FBH Exhaust extension or relocation?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

I emailed diesel heater and they replied

Hi Gary.

You can use max 2 meters. 2 meters exhaust pipe will cost you £80 including express 1-2 days delivery. Regards Ali

Emailed him back and asked what size is needed

Post #21189786th Feb 2020 5:05 pm
Nc1989

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

On the aftermarket heater applications and installations you’re allowed various lengths of exhaust depending on heater but the co2 setting must be altered to correct the co2 afterwards. Failure to correct the co2 setting can cause the burner to fail early.

With how fragile the Venturi burner is in the Thermo top V I really really wouldn’t do anything to change the application from how it left the factory but the choice is of course yours. If it was me I would leave it alone and buy a good carbon monoxide alarm (which you should use anyway).

Post #21189916th Feb 2020 6:33 pm
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I’m sure there was a recall / modification in the early days that automatically put the cabin heater into recirc when the fbh was running
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #21190006th Feb 2020 6:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

gstuart wrote:
Hi

I emailed diesel heater and they replied

Hi Gary.

You can use max 2 meters. 2 meters exhaust pipe will cost you £80 including express 1-2 days delivery. Regards Ali

Emailed him back and asked what size is needed

Got a follow on email ref the size

Gary. You can insulate the exhaust pipe. It is £30 for meters. You don’t need to buy larger size. You will get 26mm. Regards Ali.

Regards

Post #21190636th Feb 2020 10:08 pm
Class—

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Folks,
This sounds interesting but unfortunately I have a sore neck tonight which means my head is sore which means I’ve not read all this post. So, please, forgive me if my ramblings are unwanted. However I noticed that I was getting a lot of the fumes coming in from the webasto. I believe my problem is that there is a leak at the silencer (I assume the box inline with the exhaust is a silencer?) both ends of the silencer to be exact. I was going to ask you guys if it was a known issue and best way to fix it. I only noticed this on a cold morning when I started her up and popped the bonnet and watched the webasto for 5 mins.

Thanks

Post #21190716th Feb 2020 10:33 pm
Harry365

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Gary, really appreciate your efforts! I've been thinking about where to extend it to and after spending sometime under the body, I've realised that unless I take it all the way to the back, I'm probably gonna just have issues with it coming through a window lol. Now my thoughts are to just extend it out of the side of the wheel arch or somewhere similar which would be a much shorter extension and would allow the smoke to go straight into the open rather than linger and disperse in the engine bay.

I already have a carbon monoxide alarm, indeed a very sensible precaution. It's never gone off or even registered a reading below the alarm trigger. It's more the smell than anything, and I guess the particles to some extent.

I'll see what I can come up with for a side exhaust.

Class, a hole in the silencer should be fairly obvious. You could put your thumb over the exhaust very briefly within the first min or so of running to see if it makes the hole location more obvious or indeed confirm its existence. The smoke does rise up through the engine bay though so it could just be that. If you find it is excessively smoky for longer than you'd expect, it could be the fuel supply is poor. This could be anything from a blocked pipe to a faulty pump. Process of elimination. Don't spend any money until you're sure.

Post #21190836th Feb 2020 10:54 pm
gstuart

Hi

Ur very welcome, also think it was because I was a heating engineer I found it very interesting

Good to hear you’ve already got a carbon monoxide alarm, plus indeed ensuring the FBH is serviced-regularly to prevent it from producing carbon monoxide / also keeping fumes , smell away from entering the cabin

Would be really nice with some more piccies as ur project progresses plse , as we all like a project

Also wonder if its worth doing a cabin smoke test, so at least then ur see if there’s any weak points

Post #21191167th Feb 2020 7:22 am
gstuart

Hi harry

Got an email from webasto and wished to pass it on to ur goodself Thumbs Up

You can extend up to a maximum of 5m as long as you have no silencer , 3m with a silencer

Last edited by gstuart on 10th Feb 2020 4:00 pm. Edited 4 times in total 
Post #21195808th Feb 2020 7:33 pm
Harry365

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Gary you legend. 5m is great news; straight out the back. Thank you again for your efforts. Pics will follow. Just wire brushing the chassis at the moment Crying or Very sad

Post #21196018th Feb 2020 9:29 pm
gstuart

Shucks ur make me blush Laughing

Glad it helped mate and indeed gives u far more scope with the 5 x metres , plus hearing from webasto themselves

That will be nice , yes plse for the pics Of the mods Bow down

As yes, a labour intensive job, been there done that

Kind Regards

Post #21196329th Feb 2020 12:04 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You need to make sure the flexible pipe has a smooth internal bore both eberspacher and webasto sell it.

You will also need to remove the silencer and then insulate the pipe otherwise the smoke will cool and leave soot deposits that will quickly build up over time and block the pipe.

Post #21196509th Feb 2020 8:32 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

+1.

And.. what webasto does not tell you, that 5 meters work in theory AND on a ship/boat etc. Where the FBH’s run for hours....or at least long runs... on cars AND also configured as auxiliary heater (sometimes running for only 10 minutes or just a few more) a horizontal and long exhaust pipe is waiting for trouble.... IMHO....

So...be aware .....
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21197769th Feb 2020 3:56 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

aja4x4 wrote:
You need to make sure the flexible pipe has a smooth internal bore both eberspacher and webasto sell it.

You will also need to remove the silencer and then insulate the pipe otherwise the smoke will cool and leave soot deposits that will quickly build up over time and block the pipe.

Motolab wrote:
+1.

And.. what webasto does not tell you, that 5 meters work in theory AND on a ship/boat etc. Where the FBH’s run for hours....or at least long runs... on cars AND also configured as auxiliary heater (sometimes running for only 10 minutes or just a few more) a horizontal and long exhaust pipe is waiting for trouble.... IMHO....

So...be aware .....

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #211993710th Feb 2020 10:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Been using these heaters for over 30 years in trucks, and the simple rule is to have the exhaust pipe route always going lower than the burner or silencer. Any water will then run down the pipe. If the silencer is as close to the heater as possible, water build up in here is minimal.
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #211995710th Feb 2020 11:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >