Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

FBH/Timer Insall Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
daveh

Austria 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
FBH/Timer Insall Problem

Just wondered if any of you have any ideas on my problem with the FBH Timer install. I have done everything and I am using exactly the same timer as in the guide by stapldm (Very Good may I add)

When doing the test with the timer and manual operation of the FBH, the FBH kicks in straight away ( Iam using the W-bus signal) the other normal out does not work. The problem is that the FBH starts to operate making all the right noises but it doesnt get hot! It does this for around 1 minute and then switches off !

The one thing I can see though is that all the manuals for the timer suggest that the flame on signal displayed within the timer display should stay on to indicate a positive heat check, on my timer it doesnt, it goes off the display after around 30 -40 seconds and then around 20 seconds later the FBH stops making its noises !!!!

The automatic mode also acts the same way, when the set time is reached the FBH starts to make all the right noises but still does just the same after 1 minute or so!

I have checked all the connections and I am an Electrical Engineer so I am not new to wiring!!! But this one has me scratching my head!!!!!
Embarassed Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #36597228th Oct 2008 4:16 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

You do know that the vehicle has to be in sleep mode, so no display on the stereo, not dash light for handbrake etc. If you activate anything or even open the door while the car is still awake the FBH will not work and if it is working it will shut down. The noise you are hearing sounds like the FBH is trying to start and either has a problem or the car is awake.

Have you tried the reset by removing the power connection from the FBH.

Post #36597528th Oct 2008 4:20 pm
daveh

Hi,

Yes car is asleep all doors closed and handbrake light goes out on the dash. If its not asleep the FBH doesn't even try to start. Its really strange and does point to the FBH itself maybe not working correctly, but out of warranty so I dont want it to be a faulty FBH Sad Sad Sad

I just thought I would ask the question on here to get any views as to what I was missing or if anyone has had the same problem.

Post #36598128th Oct 2008 4:35 pm
daveh

I have tried the reset by removing power as well for an hour or so, and the FBH just acts the same way when I connect everything back up Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Post #36598428th Oct 2008 4:38 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Is your battery well charged and do you have enough fuel in the tank, both of these will stop it working. I know that the one we had on our boat would try to start if the battery is low and then fail to complete the start up process.

Other than that I have no idea, does it work normally when it is cold. I saw one on E-Bay brand new for £180 for a D3.

Post #36601028th Oct 2008 5:56 pm
daveh

Hi,

Yes battery was new only yesterday as I had the good old faults that didnt really exist when I started the car from cold in the mornings, Shocked the new battery solved all these issues, so today I decided to install the timer. The tank is full, so I hope tonight its cold enough to actually see if it fires up when I start the engine and the outside temp is below 5 Degrees. As I must admint I have not noticed the smoke from the front wheel arch recently, but having said that it has not been so cold yet!!

Thanks for your help on this, but I am thinking its going to be a new FBH Big Cry I want to make sure it works before winter sets in as we get -15 to -20 here and I think that even if it only works when the engine is fired up at least it will reduce cold engine wear. Sad

Post #36607628th Oct 2008 8:35 pm
countrywide

If it doesn't work go to a Webasto dealer, they can plug a diagnostic into it to check it out and reset errors. I must admit this time after summer it took three attempts before mine fired up, guess the fuel had drained away or something and needed to be primed again.

Good luck with it.

Post #36608428th Oct 2008 9:07 pm
daveh

Thanks for your help, I will try again tomorrow and then if it still doesnt fire I will find a Webasto dealer.

Thanks again

Post #36615728th Oct 2008 10:27 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

it is probably the fuel pump for the FBH. Everything control wise sounds like its ok. i recon try the pump.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #36616028th Oct 2008 10:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
daveh

Ok I am willing to investigate, but where is that located? Is it fused separately I know there is a pump to circulate the engine coolant from the FBH, and I can see that. Any pointers would be good if you have any experience with this.

Post #36616628th Oct 2008 10:44 pm
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

the pump is located on the LH side chassis rail/crossmember it is piped to the tank and feeds fuel to the FBH, its an inline pump, so you can test it very easy, just pull the output pipe of, turn on the FBH, if deisel comes out its ok, if not theres your problem.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #36620828th Oct 2008 11:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

What a breath of fresh air to see helpfull interesting posts for a change Thumbs Up

Post #36621728th Oct 2008 11:34 pm
daveh

Thanks christyler

I will do a test today if I have the time, I must admit I wondered if these things could get air locked over the summer when they are not being used?

I will let you know the result of the test, hopefully tonight.

Thanks again

Post #36631629th Oct 2008 9:33 am
daveh

Ok, Result !

3 Degrees this morning and FBH did just the same as when I ty to manually fire it. I looked for the FBH fuel pump as christyler descibed and found that the cables to it were damaged, dont know how Confused But anyway I made a new connection to it and then tried the manual fire from the timer again and it worked first time Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
All functions work as they should, even with the timer installed when the outside temperature is 5 degrees or below the FBH kicks in and starts heating. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you all for your help especially christyler for pointing me in the direction of the pump, no more cold morning driving this winter !

Post #36647029th Oct 2008 4:02 pm
alan lockwood

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

a silly question,but are fbh's fitted to all models even the base ones?
 one life,live it
gotalife,livinit,lovinit....

Black D3 with andorrian bramble rash(oh Censored )
Range Rover vogue 

Post #36653229th Oct 2008 6:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >