Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Fibre optic harmon kardon system?????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Apache

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Of all the possible modifications why pratt about with the radio? I have the base model and think it is rather good. Imagine the premium one you have is even better.

Post #9724382nd Sep 2012 3:35 pm
Grumpymonkey84

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Don't get me wrong the sound system is awesome and it's great with the voice and Bluetooth, but I thought that a touchscreen would update the interior a little bit and I'd be able to link some extra goodies to it like rear DVD players, cameras etc,. Never mind tho ay,. I was hoping it would fit in the top part of the dash where the sat nav normally goes,. Any ideas?

Post #9724402nd Sep 2012 3:41 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

GM84 you've not p Censored d anyone off, we all have to learn, I have done my fair shrare of that with my D3 in the last year or so, there are some great people on this forum, everyone who has responded to your post are all here to help and happy to do so.

Hopefully you'll find a home for the new head unit somewhere else Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #9724432nd Sep 2012 3:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grumpymonkey84

cheers buddy,. hopefully everyone else sees it that way Thumbs Up

this might be a daft question but will this work?

http://www.dension.com/product/gateway-500s-bluetooth

im starting to feel like a broken record! Laughing

Post #9724462nd Sep 2012 3:59 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Don't look like it as Land Rover is not in the Compatibility list...

Flack Thumbs Up

Grumpymonkey84 wrote:
cheers buddy,. hopefully everyone else sees it that way Thumbs Up

this might be a daft question but will this work?

http://www.dension.com/product/gateway-500s-bluetooth

im starting to feel like a broken record! Laughing

Post #9724672nd Sep 2012 5:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grumpymonkey84

i thought that to be honest but didnt read that part until after posting,.

ill have to have a good look around and see if there is anything out there that might be landrover compatible

Post #9724772nd Sep 2012 5:36 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Disco Mikey
You can't use a prism or a handmade loop to by pass the IHU as it is this that actually creates the inititial signal that is then passed round the Fibre optic Most bus that includes the signal that turns everytheng else on.

GM84, Welcome aboard. No one is upset, although you would do well to respect any and all of uncle Wigg's comments, as there is pretty much no technical area of the D3 or modification he has not already done or understands.

We actually all really like to see folks willing to have a go at modding their D3 electronics, it's only a shame that you did not do a bit more research on this board before investing in stuff you may not be able to use.

If you had a base audio system, your proposal would be a really great upgrade, as there is no fibre optic Most bus, and there are only 4 speakers (4x25 Watt) that are wired to the head unit which could happily be fed with the 4 x 50 watts of the new unit.

By binning all the existing infotainment stuff you currently have in your vehicle, It is actually still possible to do as you propose, but it is certainly not for the faint hearted, would require quite a bit of re wiring, perhaps some additional amplification, and you would certainly have to be totally commited to your new unit providing absolutely all of your Infotainment capability.

Post #9725262nd Sep 2012 7:56 pm
Grumpymonkey84

so does anyone have any pictures or advice about rewiring the system? i know it might seem pretty optimistic but the new head unit has everything that i want in the car and i got it working by connecting the ignition start wire to the loom which gave me power to the unit when i turned the car on,. this was pretty easy but ive figured out that i have 3 options now which would require the aid of my father who is an ex mechanic, but id rather not hassle him into doing up the disco as id like to have the knowledge that i did it myself,.

so the options are

1) rewire the car to the speakers via the main amp
2) buy new aftermarket speakers (not too keen on this plan)
3) have the origional head unit in the boot or glovebox connected up and wire the new head unit through the AUX

or 4) just stick with what i have and clutter my dashboard with a ton of unsightly gadgets and gizmo's

im not up for option 4 at all really as you can tell Laughing

Post #9725532nd Sep 2012 8:52 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Grumpy, I don't think you are getting the hint. When BBS SPY says 'quite a bit of rewiring' you must understand the chap using these words. If he thinks it is 'quite a bit' and you think you can carry on from here then you are obviously from NASA or rewire nuclear power stations for a living. Feel free to search his posts on his 'rewiring' of a D3!!!

Perhaps others have been too subtle - give up on this idea of removing the central component of the databus right now.

No really. Give up and think of something else to modify to your liking.

Yep - give up now.

Click image to enlarge

Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #9725802nd Sep 2012 9:23 pm
pinhead

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Right I think I can suggest a way forward for you here
To get a neat and tidy sat nav with the option of tv and reversing camera do a search for sat nav with d4 surround many have fitted a garmin 1490tv with the discI 4 surround and it looks almost factory and i am up for this 1 as soon as I get this months overtime
For the music from phone there has been some one who has fitted a dab interface that has iPod conectivity as well it uses the buttons on steering wheel to control it but does have a display that will need mounting somewhere
 Club original turbo
161k and counting
general AT's, oval timer, blanked egr's, silicone intercooler hose's 

Post #9725902nd Sep 2012 9:35 pm
Grumpymonkey84

this is what im trying to say,. i dont know how difficult it is until youve shown me those pictures,. so rewiring is out of the question and i know that now so thanks for the post,. but having the original unit hooked up with the loom and fibre optics and connecting the new unit to the ground and aux is possible surely,. even wiggs said he had known about it,. the guy down the car stereo store said that this was another option and im pretty sure that in 8 years im not the only person to have come across this problem so someone out there must have figured it out without having to work for nasa!

nothing is impossible, there is much more advanced equipment out there than a discovery 3 so im positive that someone has found some sort of solution o this problem,. i have a couple of experts that i know searching the market for ways around the problem and instead of sitting back i thought id do my own research into this,. forgive me for barreling on about it but someone somewhere knows how to do this

thanks pinhead btw, im starting to look into fitting another unit where the sat nav would be,. this might have to be the way forward which is a shame but its better than a cluttered dashboard i suppose,. i didnt realize that the fibre optics where on the original unit before i brought the car so my bad,. however i need some sort of sat nav and my iphone is currently set up through an FM transmitter which is ok but not exactly what im after

Post #9725922nd Sep 2012 9:40 pm
pinhead

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

You can plug your phone in through the aux socket at the back of the center console you don't need an fm transmitter this will play through the sterio but won't charge or give you any control over the phone
 Club original turbo
161k and counting
general AT's, oval timer, blanked egr's, silicone intercooler hose's 

Post #9726092nd Sep 2012 10:02 pm
Grumpymonkey84

yeah thats why im using the transmitter,. its pretty good actually but the new head unit would allow me to use the iphone functions on the screen through bluetooth, would be great if i could get it to work Laughing

Post #9726122nd Sep 2012 10:08 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Keep it simple. I play all my music via my Parrot MKi9200 and use a portable sat nav. Works a treat. Persaonally i think fitting the flat panel screen in the D3 dashboard looks odd and out of place.

Mind you its each to their own. You could try and flog the parts on here for an upgrade on the lower spec system.

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands-free-car-kits

Post #9727083rd Sep 2012 10:29 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

When i made my comments about a bit of rewiring etc, i was not meaning in respect of the sorts of things i typically take on.

The new Head unit seems nice enough, has good functionality and not that expensive, and if do able might become a common mod for those on a basic Hi Line system. So i think it might be worth considering thinking about, although as i said, only as an outright replacement for the entire infotainment, as clearly you cannot integrate anything into even the Most Amp. so you have to consider what you would loose doing this, which if it involves things like Sat Nav, 4x4 Info, Voice recognition, Steering wheel controls etc, may make it undesirable.

So here is my basic thinking as just a quick thought and perhaps uncle Wiggs would have a ponder too and see if i may have missed something Bow down

If you disconnected / took out the IHU, Amp and Phone modules, from a Hi line set up, in essence you have a base level vehicle with the head unit removed, except for the fact that the speakers are wired to the old Amp position. You won't have a clock on the Ipack, if you had that anyway, but there will likely be one on the new head unit.

You have 6 speaker pairs, one for each door that would need those 4 extending up to the new head unit, the final 2 pairs are used for the dual coil sub in the tailgate.
But If you mounted a filter and small 2 x 50 watt amp of the type that tapped off the rear door speaker rather than pair under the drivers seat to then supply the sub you could drive this. You might even be able to use a rear pre amp pair from the head unit rather than the tap off type.

So the wiring i mention would only involve adding 4 speaker wires from the back of the head unit to under the drivers seat. Maybe a screened pre amp pair and a remote turn on wire.

Post #9728213rd Sep 2012 5:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >