Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Firmware fault or another module? U1A03-95 (2F)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Shealesy

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Firmware fault or another module? U1A03-95 (2F)

Hi all. Before last winter I installed a remote for the FBH, but it never worked. I clicked the button, the fan would run for a minute or so and then it would shut off again and wouldn’t do the same until I’d had the fuse out overnight.
I can force it to start with the GAP tool (under the test menu) which runs a sequence for 4 minutes I think, and it will fire up and burn for the last minute or so, creating the expected plume of white smoke from the wheel well, before shutting off again, and the GAP tool reporting success.
I’ve never noticed it start by itself when it’s cold either. The logged fault code is: U1A03-95 (2F) which I’ve searched the forum and googled for with no meaningful results.

Can anyone more knowledgeable point me to whether this code is a fault with my FBH itself, or another module (HVAC presumably) not being of the correct firmware to kick the FBH into life itself.

Cheers
Shealesy
 D3 HSE - MY05 - Java black
Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer
GAP IIDBT G3
2x Colliewobbles and a Kelpie 

Post #23103549th Oct 2022 3:15 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
and it will fire up and burn for the last minute or so, creating the expected plume of white smoke from the wheel well, before shutting off again.

Are you sure it fires up? If you feel at the outcomming air from the exhaust , is that a quite high temperature? With a steady flow? I think is should not shut off after only 1 minute (automatically)

Normally, excessive “white” smoke is a cloaked unit, or a glowplug with too much resistance, both will make it stop “running” after a few minutes….. and even lock it out… hence the fuse reset, “works”

With GAP you should be able to let it run for at least 10 minutes…, those 10 minutes should burn off excessive fuel “left overs” to make it start clean again next time, if that is not possible, you can try a clean or need a new glowplug (ebay-kleinanzeigen germany) or new burner unit who come with a new glowplug, but at a “price” from LR or elsewere.
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #23103569th Oct 2022 3:35 pm
Shealesy

Hi Motolab, yes with the GAP tool it certainly appears to fire successfully, maybe plume was the wrong word. It’s not an excessive plume, it started with a good puff of smoke for no more than a few seconds, but settled to a more acceptable, lighter output. Once running it’s definitely a good steady, warm stream of gases, coupled with the wee exhaust silencer rising in temperature. Silencer certainly gets hot enough to scald an errant finger tip… ask me how I know.
But from memory (it was last weekend I was playing) as soon as the GAP tool reports success it shuts off again.
Similarly with the remote, I click, it runs the fan only for 30s or so and shuts off, never gets to burning I don’t think.

I’ll test again tomorrow from stone cold as I’d had the car running off and on before the last I tried.
See if I can nail down how long it runs for at each attempt. Unfortunately when doing a test on the GAP tool it locks you into that screen and can’t jump across to live values and see what it’s actually doing.

It’s a 54 plate D3, if that makes any difference. It has the red W-Bus wire from factory, that I’ve spliced into for the remote.

I’ve actually, preemptively, ordered a replacement burner and exhaust (my wee exhaust is a little tired… and short…) along with a raft of other bits and pieces.

Cheers
Shealesy
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #23103699th Oct 2022 5:54 pm
BradC

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

U1A0395

http://cgauer.asuscomm.com:444/manuais/ind...Heater.pdf

Vehicle configuration mismatch : Configure the module using the approved diagnostic system.

That doesn't sound good.

Edit : Digging further, I found a reference in the Jaguar documentation "Fuel fired booster heater module - incorrect assembly car configuration code miss-match (e.g. petrol fuel burning heater in diesel vehicle)"

I recall seeing a post here about a remote module that toasted the config in someones heater, but I can't find it at the moment. From memory it was sending an error code reset message before every start attempt and "bad stuff" happened.

Do you have WTT and a diagnostic cable for the heater?

Edit again : Found it https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2216260.html#2216260

Post #231040210th Oct 2022 2:01 am
Shealesy

Hi BradC, yes! You’ve just reminded me I bought a wee dongle to plug in! When I next get time to play I’ll see what it says.

I’ve seen posts in the past about remote modules bricking heaters, I suspect that may be what has happened. I’ve got an eBay special on route, so if I can work out WTT (it bricked my brain last time) and it says the old one is a potato, I’ll not fit my remote to the replacement.

Cheers
Shealesy

Edit: also worthy of note, and my leading suspicion of the heater PCB now thinking it’s a potato, is the GAP tool reports the auxiliary heater as “not fitted” in the ECU info section, but the CCF menu shows as fitted.
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #231040810th Oct 2022 8:36 am
BradC

If that is the case, and it's past the point you can return that remote unit for a refund I'd like the opportunity to borrow it to look at it if I could.

In the process of building mine I wrote a basic heater simulator which would allow me to watch what it does. Given this isn't the first one that has been toasted, I'd be interested in looking at what it is sending to the heater and how it does what it does to see why it might have bricked the heater.

Post #231043710th Oct 2022 12:54 pm
Shealesy

You’d be welcome to it, but I’m going to guess your Perth location isn’t the same Perth as at the other end of the A9 from me, judging by the flag on your profile. Happy to attempt to post it, it’s quite small.

I think I might have to order either a proper webasto controller for it, or wait for one of the known good ones to become available. I only really desire the ability to push a button from the comfort of my sofa, half an hour before I need to leave on a frosty, snowy morning. A regular timer I have no use for as I don’t go out at regular times.

Shealesy
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #231044510th Oct 2022 1:36 pm
BradC

Yeah, not the same Perth. Having said that, I have inlaws in Ayr who are coming down for Jan/Feb, so I could arrange to get it from and to you "most effectively". Just let me know how you go with it.

Post #231044610th Oct 2022 1:40 pm
Shealesy

Finally made some progress and got the replacement burner fitted yesterday, coolant burped this morning. All of the FBH fault codes have gone away Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I can run the GAP test sequence and it definitely fires up, big cloud of smoke (probably hadn’t run for a while…) which settles down to a gentle pooter with a continuous stream of hot gases from the wee exhaust tail, but still only for as long as the test sequence runs. After that it shuts off and won’t fire again, certainly not in the next 15 minutes (by which point I was nithered and have come inside to defrost).

Live values suggest it is fully shut down, unfortunately you can’t watch them while running the sequence so I can’t tell if everything kicked in. But the idling Disco did seem to warm up a little bit faster despite only running the burner for a few minutes on the test sequence.

So it functions, and certainly seems to help what it’s meant to, but doesn’t run itself automatically (I did wait a few minutes after engine start before running the test sequence to see if it would jump into life itself).

ECU Info still suggests it’s not fitted and nothing mentionable in the CCF to turn it on, but I think I also only have the “safe” CCF (which is probably wise…) so may not be able to see things that might hurt.

I’ve also lost the receiver for the remote somewhere in my workshop. I fear it may have gone in the bin… and I’m certainly not ordering the same replacement, listed on eBay at £195 this morning Shocked
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #231883415th Dec 2022 1:56 pm
Shealesy

Scrap that. Fired right up on its own just now while SWMBO goes off to the shop in it Thumbs Up

Just need to sort out a remote start/preheat kind of affair for it now!
GAP IIDBT G3

Post #231885415th Dec 2022 4:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >