DISCO4.COM > General

The first 250 miles.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JMC

Scotland 
The first 250 miles.....

OK, I've got it now Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Picked it up in the lakes on Friday at 5pm. Did 20 miles (including somwhere called Walna Scar.... 8) ) and then went back to a B+B.

Saturday was Lakes to Aberdeenshire. Rain, Sun, Snow, Daylight & Darkeness in the first proper run and all I can do is Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Turbochip done from new so I have no idea what you (poor) standard guys feel like. I used to run a 300 ES V8 and I reckon this D3 is faster, and sounds almost as good.

Main points to note:

Blokes dont read manuals and dont listen to the salesman enough at the handover. ~Ergo, 100 miles later I am still wondering if I have rain sensing wipers. I do, but just haven't 'figured out' how to switch them on. Shocked

It is very easy to be confused for a drunk driver on the M6 for the same reasons as shown above. 'I wonder what this button does', 'or this one', 'or what about this one'...... is not a good thing at 70(ish) MPH....... READ THE BLO*DY MANUAL. Exclamation A lot of faults are actually human error due to lack of understanding.

Fuel consumption:
30 'lake' miles from the dealer to Penrith
80 miles of M6/M74
100 miles of twisty A roads
40 final Dual Carriageway miles.

Average showing as 27.3mpg. I'm expecting to get 30 if I try hard enough or once the engine is loosened off.

The best bit was the fact that I was racing some kids off the lights and I was winning. Laughing

Sorry to all those who only want to hear the down-sides of the D3. Confused

Post #4705012th Mar 2006 10:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Glad you got it. Now you know what all the fuss is about.

Post #4705112th Mar 2006 10:58 am
chippypip

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Re: The first 250 miles.....

Did you actually go over Walna Scar to Long House near Seathwaite in the Duddon Valley?

Post #4719313th Mar 2006 11:41 am
JMC

Scotland 

Quote:
Did you actually go over Walna Scar to Long House near Seathwaite in the Duddon Valley?

I had less than 10 miles on the clock, it was 5.30pm, I was a solitary vehicle and it was getting dark so I didn't go too far off-road. Dealer advised me that there is a narrowing of the track just past where I was that he reckoned isn't suitable for a brand new £40k vehicle!! We turned round and headed for the B+B. Crying or Very sad

Looks like an interesting track though so I'm looking forward to going back to the Lakes for my first service...... Laughing

Post #4725713th Mar 2006 4:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

JMC - we will have some more snow to test it in tonight!!!! Rolling Eyes
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #4726213th Mar 2006 5:00 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Quote:
JMC - we will have some more snow to test it in tonight!!!!

Hi Randalls. I'm sorry to say, I've already been in the snow with the D3 and I was tempted to go home for the 300TDi instead. Headed for the B974 (you know where I mean!) and I only got 1/4 of the way up before I was stranded Mad All the electronics were doing things I didn't enjoy, and I was longing for a manual diff lock and no ABS!! Shocked

Put it this way - when your car has spun itself through 90 degrees, and you are then sliding down a hill sideways with the car pointing across the road, HDC isn't any blo*dy use!!! Twisted Evil

Once I got straightened out, I made the mistake of hitting the brakes and the ABS let me go faster still. HDC isn't the first thing on your mind when you are not used to having it there in the first place. Not a nice feeling in a £40k car when you already know how to sort the problem but the car wont let you!!! Instinc would have been to plough into the side of the road but I didn't want to damage my new motor. I don't like ABS in the snow and I think all cars so equiped should have an ABS switch (like my Audis and my motorbike have 8) ).

In truth, I think the cost is the prohibitive aspect here rather than the capability - but I still reckon the 300TDi would have gone further up in the first place. We can put that down to tyres though (BFG A/T).

Later in the day I was on low level routes with 'blin drift' and I was pleasantly surprised so it isn't all bad. My main concern is that if something does go wrong in a bad situation, you can't take manual control of everything. Sad

Post #4729013th Mar 2006 6:27 pm
Dan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

JMC - I was with you when I first got my D3... The thing is the D3 is just as capable, if not more so, it's just you have to learn a new type of driving technique. I'm not suggesting you're not a good driver by the way! Rolling Eyes

Post #4730413th Mar 2006 7:13 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

'All the electronics were doing things I didn't enjoy' hmmm had me going for a minute there - Idea thinking another electronic melt down Idea

Well I am coming to the D3 from a auto late model D2 - So I am used to stability control, TC & ABS. I found only light use of the brake & thus ABS is the best strategy in snow & ice. at least with the D2 auto you can force it into sticking to gears in low ratio via the 'mode' button - I am hoping the D3 is the same. If not then snow may be a problem for me also. I cant use a manual box any more due to an accident - but the D3 auto box is stellar compared to the D2's.

I read to switch DSC off in the snow - I am assuming this leaves traction control on though & ARM also, on the D3, so it will be similar in control to my D2, which was fine in the snow with just standard tyres, but no you cant switch everything off. I can see why you would want to switch everything off, but I also think LR dont want you to be able to do this - possibly for liability reasons.
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #4731713th Mar 2006 7:34 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Quote:
I'm not suggesting you're not a good driver by the way!

It's OK Dan - I didn't think that way and I reckon you know exactly what I'm talking about. The fact is that, when you know how to drive, it is a bit disconcerting to have a machine take over from you with no manual over-ride. This was my first step in the snow with the D3 so I suppose I will have to re-learn how to drive this particular vehicle.

Randalls, I don't think you have to worry. I chose not to go into a D2 for this very reason and I still think the D1 is better when the going gets tough than the D2. LR took me out at the Pre-launch of the D2 and I got stuck on a moist grassy incline that the D1 would have sailed up even if I had been walking alongside it. Shocked

The D3 is one hell of a complex beastie, and as I said in my previous post, if it had been a case of 'somebody elses car' then I may have pressed on regardless. Despite owning more vehicles than I can drive for each day of the week, I still cant afford to 'bin' a forty-grand motor, and I'm sure that was the main problem yesterday. Time to insist on my LRE half day I think Wink

Post #4732813th Mar 2006 7:51 pm
Dan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

JMC wrote:
Time to insist on my LRE half day I think Wink

You'll love it! Although the full day level 1 is even better Very Happy

Post #4733213th Mar 2006 8:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >